Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to choose one of the big three
Hello, I graduated from TESU in 2017 and it wouldn’t have been possible without this forum. I thank everyone who ever helped me in any way, directly or indirectly. Now of my relatives wants to get a degree as well and chose online over BM colleges. There are several reasons for that. She has a full time job and she has a child. Another reason is that she can’t afford any of the colleges in the city. And of course she needs a degree to advance in her career. She asked me to help find a college and since it’s been 4 years since I graduated I’m not sure what I remember was true is still so. So best I ask.
 She has been in the banking, back office operations and customer service for around 8-9 years, ever since she finished high school, so her preferred degrees would be business with specialization in management, HR, or the like. It for sure needs to be regionally accredited which the big three are. But if any others have come along I guess she’ll consider it. She doesn’t have any college credits but has experience and has taken many trainings at her jobs. Oh, and she’s not a US citizen or resident, we are in UAE (so colleges that have special fees/admission for US citizens/residents won’t work).
What would be the fastest and most affordable way for someone like her? Where does she start? Thank you all in advance.
The reason I can’t help much with planning is because when I started TESU I already had majority of my credits done from two of my previous colleges and my degree was psychology.
For a Bachelor's degree, TESU and COSC now require 24 RA credits + the capstone & cornerstone for a total of 30 RA credits. This can be as cheap as $1200 through things like TEL Learning and Olivet Nazarene, but they are no longer as affordable as they once were. Excelsior does not have this requirement, but they do require 30 UL credits for one of their degrees, something that COSC also requires. COSC also excludes multiple alternative sources of credits now.

How does she feel about writing papers in English? If she's fine with this, UMPI's degree in Management & Leadership may be the right choice for her: https://online.umpi.edu/programs/ Features:
  • Can bring in up to 90 credits towards a degree.
  • They have a foreign language requirement, but this can be met with an ACTFL exam. Since you're in the UAE, I would assume that she is at least reasonably competent in Arabic (if not fully fluent), so this requirement should be extremely easy to meet.
  • Of the 90 credits that you're allowed to bring in, most GEC (gen ed) requirements can be met with Sophia.org. The rest come from either InstantCert or Study.com
  • She will need a science-with-a-lab, but Study.com's BIO 101L is  probably the easiest and cheapest way to meet this requirement.
  • It's competency-based, so the faster she's able to complete the degree, the less she'll pay. She'll have 10-15 classes (30-45 credits) to take from UMPI. Even if she's only able to complete a class every 3 weeks on average (most students on this forum are doing more than that, even while working full time), it'd still be cheaper than TESU and probably cheaper than Excelsior.
If she's not very confident about writing papers in English, TESU is probably the best option for a business-type degree. She'll still have to write at least some papers, though, there's not really any way around that.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(10-18-2021, 06:14 AM)rachel83az so I guess TESU it is. She has basic spoken knowledge of English, not very good at writing papers. So English being not her first language she is taking extra English classes just for that now. She will be taking IELTS I believe to fulfill the English proficiency requirement. So 24 RA credits for TESU can come through TECEP as I understand? Basically she wants to test out using TECEP, Clep, straighterline etc. she’s also looking at taking a few forms online classes (teacher led). Wrote: For a Bachelor's degree, TESU and COSC now require 24 RA credits + the capstone & cornerstone for a total of 30 RA credits. This can be as cheap as $1200 through things like TEL Learning and Olivet Nazarene, but they are no longer as affordable as they once were. Excelsior does not have this requirement, but they do require 30 UL credits for one of their degrees, something that COSC also requires. COSC also excludes multiple alternative sources of credits now.

How does she feel about writing papers in English? If she's fine with this, UMPI's degree in Management & Leadership may be the right choice for her: https://online.umpi.edu/programs/ Features:
  • Can bring in up to 90 credits towards a degree.
  • They have a foreign language requirement, but this can be met with an ACTFL exam. Since you're in the UAE, I would assume that she is at least reasonably competent in Arabic (if not fully fluent), so this requirement should be extremely easy to meet.
  • Of the 90 credits that you're allowed to bring in, most GEC (gen ed) requirements can be met with Sophia.org. The rest come from either InstantCert or Study.com
  • She will need a science-with-a-lab, but Study.com's BIO 101L is  probably the easiest and cheapest way to meet this requirement.
  • It's competency-based, so the faster she's able to complete the degree, the less she'll pay. She'll have 10-15 classes (30-45 credits) to take from UMPI. Even if she's only able to complete a class every 3 weeks on average (most students on this forum are doing more than that, even while working full time), it'd still be cheaper than TESU and probably cheaper than Excelsior.
If she's not very confident about writing papers in English, TESU is probably the best option for a business-type degree. She'll still have to write at least some papers, though, there's not really any way around that.
If she prefers exams, then TECEPs and UExcels are probably the easiest way to get the 24 RA credits. She WILL need English Comp I & II and the TECEPs are probably the easiest way to do that. However, I would also suggest that she might want to sign up for ASU's English courses to get her ready for those exams: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Ar...al_Learner If she does NOT pay for an upgrade, the classes won't count for a grade but they also won't cost any money either.

To get started planning out what courses/exams she'll be taking, check out https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap and https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan to see what might go where. Unfortunately, the BSBA in Human Resources/Organizational Management isn't available without taking a number of courses from TESU.

The new catalog is available at: https://tesu.smartcatalogiq.com/Current/...Management This degree has 15 credits of free electives. She could fill those with TECEPs or UExcels, 6 credits for the English Comp TECEPs, then an easy gen ed LL TECEP of some kind. We don't recommend UL TECEPs, for the most part, because they're disproportionately difficult compared to exams at Davar, Coopersmith, or Study.com.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(10-18-2021, 08:28 AM)rachel83az thank you, this is very helpful. I’m meeting with her on Thursday. Since she didn’t study in college before this is all new to her and I’ll be helping her figure things out. I’m reading through the links you provided and I’ll be keeping everything in mind. I remember study.com being not that difficult and fun as well. I also hear good things about Sophia. Of course open book non proctored exams are preferred so I’ll be looking up things for her. I hope to be back here with the plant to check on it. Wrote: If she prefers exams, then TECEPs and UExcels are probably the easiest way to get the 24 RA credits. She WILL need English Comp I & II and the TECEPs are probably the easiest way to do that. However, I would also suggest that she might want to sign up for ASU's English courses to get her ready for those exams: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Ar...al_Learner If she does NOT pay for an upgrade, the classes won't count for a grade but they also won't cost any money either.

To get started planning out what courses/exams she'll be taking, check out https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap and https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan to see what might go where. Unfortunately, the BSBA in Human Resources/Organizational Management isn't available without taking a number of courses from TESU.

The new catalog is available at: https://tesu.smartcatalogiq.com/Current/...Management This degree has 15 credits of free electives. She could fill those with TECEPs or UExcels, 6 credits for the English Comp TECEPs, then an easy gen ed LL TECEP of some kind. We don't recommend UL TECEPs, for the most part, because they're disproportionately difficult compared to exams at Davar, Coopersmith, or Study.com.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb Which path should I choose? Lil_Boi 7 416 02-12-2024, 05:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Isn't WGU a no brainer choice for CS Bachelor? Why did so many people choose TESU? OP88 25 4,503 12-26-2022, 09:48 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Unsure of Which Institution to Choose and How I Can Use Work Experience to My Benefit skite 18 1,668 06-04-2022, 03:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Exclamation Choose 2 Liberty courses that fit my TESU degree plan? (urgent) tumppi 6 1,061 03-09-2022, 02:16 PM
Last Post: tumppi
  Trying to choose a college for computer science michaelsul 8 1,138 09-10-2021, 03:50 PM
Last Post: michaelsul