Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don’t like new job
I graduated TESU in March and started a new job in April. I really don’t like it. I don’t feel like I mesh with over half of the department.
I have already started applying to other positions. But how bad does it look to jump ship so soon? How do I spin the “not meshing” aspect? I was going to try to tough it out until October when I can ask for an internal transfer, but not sure it’s worth the unnecessary conflict with passive aggressive coworkers. I’ve had blatant refusal to help me locate needed supplies, despite my request for help indicating I did not know where supplies were located. One of the folk I do have a report with told me today that there is a high turnover. I can’t imagine why....
I wouldn't stay if you get another offer.

You could leave this place off your resume entirely, and say you wanted a short break after you finished school. (I would have a reason why.)

If asked in the interview why you're looking to leave so soon you simply tell them that you recently graduated college, found yourself in need of a job and took one (the first one offered possibly at that!) - sure you can pay the bills with it <it's fine>, but now you're looking ahead to build a career (which brings you to this interview).

You're a college graduate now, you have far more opportunities than you did before you completed your degree. Life is too short to be at a job you don't like, or one where you're not treated with basic respect (asking where office supplies are and not being assisted, that is uncalled for - this is really basic stuff, how will you be treated when there is a real problem you need assistance with by your department/team co-workers)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • High_Order1
Summer can be more difficult to find job listings, so sticking it out until October might not be an option, depending on your field. However, if jobs are plentiful in your field, I totally agree with Ideas. Just leave it off.

You can avoid the blank spots in your resume generally by NEVER listing months, only years. This only works if you have a few jobs already on there, but please keep it in mind. For example, a resume could show Job A, 2011-2013. Job B 2013 - 2016. Job C 2016 - Present.

Another possibility is to mention the job as a "project" and imply that it was a great thing to do post graduation, but suggest that it was never intended to be a permanent job. This obviously won't work for a variety of things, but can help in certain situations.

Yet another thought is to hurry up and get a volunteer position, which is a great idea when you're looking to increase your experience without having to actually get hired. My DS just leveraged volunteer ESL teaching once a week to an actual position - and he is still working on his bachelor's, so it's a huge step for him. Get creative with volunteer work. Maybe you can find something to highlight skills that you have gained through your current employer. (especially if you want to leave the current employer off - and it will help you fill a gap if you're really worried)

Lastly, and most importantly remember what a future employer can and cannot verify. Obviously you never want to lie, but a majority of things we sweat about on a resume aren't even verifiable! For example, if you suggest that a position was a temporary assignment, that is not likely verifiable. Be careful with this of course as people in the same industry do tend to know each other, but 'spinning' your resume to benefit you isn't likely to harm you as long as you're sensible.

P.S. What is on your LinkedIn? When you look for a new job, any serious future employers will check you out on LinkedIn. Make sure that it matches what is on your resume. When in doubt, be a little vague. Being intentionally and skillfully vague on LinkedIn isn't ideal, but it's a heck of a lot better than a glaring contradiction. And if you don't have a LinkedIn and are looking for work - get your profile up there NOW and just don't include your current position. Many people wait months to add their new job, so that's not unusual at all.

Good luck!
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
[-] The following 1 user Likes burbuja0512's post:
  • cookderosa
I wouldn't worry about the short timer thing unless you did it several times in a row. I certainly wouldn't stay in a bad job to avoid being labeled so. Some people spend a lot of time worrying about perception, instead of reality. The reality is that you want to find a good, stable job that aligns with your career goals. Staying in this job doesn't do that, so you move on. If anyone asks, tell them the exact truth.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Many times, a job is just not a good fit, for all kinds of reasons. I worked somewhere for a few months, and quit - and I told the manager that I was way overqualified for the position, and that they needed to find someone who was looking to learn the things I already knew from the job (honestly, I was bored out of my mind in that job). I really didn't have hard feelings, and wanted them to find someone who WAS a good fit for the job.

No need to tell the new place what's going on, just leave the current job off your resume, and tell them that you're working temporarily now (let them assume it's Starbucks or something like that), while looking for the right company with which to build your career now that you've graduated from college. Easy peasy.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Never quit a job unless you have a job in hand.  If the new company wants you they will look past your short skit.  

In the future, you can leave it off your resume or explain it away as you were heavily recruited after accepting the first job.
Hi Sparklette,
Focus on the current job till you are here and keep searching and applying for job somewhere else!
Got a deal to transfer early, but extends commitment in new department. New gig only requires 20 hours a week in person. From what I hear, it’s pretty slow paced and I’m likely to get bored. Might double up on grad courses for the next year
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sparklette's post:
  • burbuja0512