Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't misrepresent where you went to school.
(10-04-2018, 06:25 PM)MNomadic Wrote:
(10-04-2018, 06:14 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote:
(10-04-2018, 06:12 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Yep. Using it now at TESU for the final leg of my BS.

Do you have the Post 9/11 at 100% and will you have at least 5 days left on it?

I have to run (work).  will reply later.

I sure do. I actually chose TESU so that I could graduate after having used less than 6 months of it so I'd still have ~30 months for grad school, more undergraduate prerequisite courses, change of career to a trade school or other short/fun educational opportunities if I so chose at a later date. Disclaimer: I lean more towards STEM type programs than business but I'm open to lots of different options.

I appreciate the info

I think STEM is great.  Think long-term.  My wife is a professional degree type also, but now in her career, she is management. A one-week Mini-MBA (Mini-Master of Business Administration) Certificate is a great foundation course. The Harvard Law School Certificate in Negotiation and Leadership is useful. 

I have tons of MOOC/University certificates.  I have no feel for those colleges nor will they ever know me.  Being physically immersed in the same graduate school building and seats at the Harvard Kennedy School or the MIT Slone School of Management is priceless.  Meeting student often more experienced than the professor is priceless.  Sometimes making a career connection is priceless.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 1 user Likes Life Long Learning's post:
  • hsfamfun
Misrepresent your academic accomplishments and you can end up in jail. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/10-...li=BBnb7Kz
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
She was going to jail for ten to fifteen years for lying about her ELEMENTARY school?

That is some dumb as hell sentencing.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • harrypotter
(11-23-2018, 10:25 PM)clep3705 Wrote: Misrepresent your academic accomplishments and you can end up in jail. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/10-...li=BBnb7Kz

Greece is a basket case Nation. Sad
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 1 user Likes Life Long Learning's post:
  • Sapientes
(11-23-2018, 10:25 PM)clep3705 Wrote: Misrepresent your academic accomplishments and you can end up in jail. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/10-...li=BBnb7Kz

That's just about the dumbest thing I've seen in a while.  Really?  Nobody along the way thought this wasn't the best way to handle this situation?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
The sentence is excessive, but she wasn't sent to prison for lying. If the elementary school was public, she created a fake government document. That usually comes with serious consequences in many countries. If you apply for government jobs in the U.S., you're often warned that fraudulent activities during the application process can lead to criminal charges.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
In my opinion, if you receive a degree from HES, you are receiving a degree from one of the schools within Harvard University. That said, it is blatantly obvious that the admissions criteria is far less competitive than other schools at Harvard. Essentially, you take a few classes, make an A or B, and then you are admitted to the program.

East Central University
Bachelors of Science - 2015
Biology

Southeastern Oklahoma State University
AACSB-Accredited
Masters of Business Administration - 2019
Management
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
In my own experience, I went to a memorial party for a legendary law professor at the big D-1 university in my town. (I worked on a documentary about him.) I happened to be wearing a Harvard shirt I'd found used at a thrift store on the cheap. The party was filled with academia from all over who'd flown down for the memorial service. I ended up sitting across from someone from up north who commented on my shirt. "So you went to Harvard?" "Well I'm currently enrolled in HES, taking grad English courses and am looking into earning my way into a degree program." "In Boston?" "No, I'm taking courses online." "So you did not actually attend Harvard College." "Nope." He nodded with what I read as self-satisfaction.

At the same party, the late professor's daughter - who did attend Harvard for her grad degree commented, "Nice shirt!"

If you attend HES, there are probably always going to be people who will call you out on it - try to take you down a peg. But frankly everyone else I know who is aware I'm pursuing grad studies at HES are absolutely wowed and impressed by the Harvard brand, and really do not care in the least that it's "Extension School" or "Division of Continuing Education" or whatever box you want to put it in. They assume that the academics are rigorous - and given the 600 out of 13,000 graduate statistic ratio somebody else gave, there's reason to believe that's true.

For me personally, I just really like the quality of materials, content and students in my cohorts. I'm fascinated by the rich history of the university and resources and materials they are able to utilize. I'm looking forward to visiting during Summer School in a few months and spending time in their museums and campus. What I'm getting out of the experience is valuable to me, and I don't really care whether anyone approves of the certificates, degrees, programs, or even my comfy t-shirt - nor whether they say it's "Harvard-lite" or "The backdoor into Harvard" or "Not real Harvard". As Teddy Roosevelt once said, "Comparison is the thief of joy."
[-] The following 1 user Likes ReyMysterioso's post:
  • Sapientes
(02-26-2019, 12:03 PM)elbebopkid Wrote: In my own experience, I went to a memorial party for a legendary law professor at the big D-1 university in my town. (I worked on a documentary about him.) I happened to be wearing a Harvard shirt I'd found used at a thrift store on the cheap. The party was filled with academia from all over who'd flown down for the memorial service. I ended up sitting across from someone from up north who commented on my shirt. "So you went to Harvard?" "Well I'm currently enrolled in HES, taking grad English courses and am looking into earning my way into a degree program." "In Boston?" "No, I'm taking courses online." "So you did not actually attend Harvard College." "Nope." He nodded with what I read as self-satisfaction.

At the same party, the late professor's daughter - who did attend Harvard for her grad degree commented, "Nice shirt!"

If you attend HES, there are probably always going to be people who will call you out on it - try to take you down a peg. But frankly everyone else I know who is aware I'm pursuing grad studies at HES are absolutely wowed and impressed by the Harvard brand, and really do not care in the least that it's "Extension School" or "Division of Continuing Education" or whatever box you want to put it in. They assume that the academics are rigorous - and given the 600 out of 13,000 graduate statistic ratio somebody else gave, there's reason to believe that's true.

For me personally, I just really like the quality of materials, content and students in my cohorts. I'm fascinated by the rich history of the university and resources and materials they are able to utilize. I'm looking forward to visiting during Summer School in a few months and spending time in their museums and campus. What I'm getting out of the experience is valuable to me, and I don't really care whether anyone approves of the certificates, degrees, programs, or even my comfy t-shirt - nor whether they say it's "Harvard-lite" or "The backdoor into Harvard" or "Not real Harvard".  As Teddy Roosevelt once said, "Comparison is the thief of joy."
Low graduation rates are very common at open admissions schools. Many for-profit colleges have graduation rates below 20%. Some Argosy campuses have a graduation rate near 7%. Rigorous schools usually have high graduation rates because they're selective. What I find impressive are open admissions schools with graduation rates near 50% or higher because they're rare. The school would have to have very high instructional quality to get so many people to pass. Low graduation rates usually mean that you accepted everyone, didn't provide them with the support they needed to pass, and took their money. Those are the practices of predatory colleges.

But, my guess is that many HES students never intended to finish a certificate or degree program in the first place. The on-campus requirements are also an obstacle to finishing.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I was initially looking at the Creative Writing & Literature degree due to only a one-week residency. But I figured out courses delivered online with a weekend requirement would count as a residency course. I could spare a couple weekends in Boston over the next five years to hit that three-course residency requirement for the English degree. I just gotta find a couch to crash on to save on lodging expenses. Anyone live near Boston/Cambridge?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,623 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 199 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 618 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Canada's Newest Medical School - Opening 2026 at SFU bjcheung77 1 320 11-01-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Brown Medical School withdraws from U.S. News rankings allvia 2 437 10-30-2023, 09:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How Technology Shapes Ideas - University of Chicago Graham School Charles Fout 0 256 09-15-2023, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  ACSOM - Caribbean Medical School (New!) bjcheung77 9 1,040 09-05-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  UK equivalent of high school diploma axa 8 4,037 09-01-2023, 08:13 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  High School online from the UK | 9 months, A Levels equivalent in the US elcastor21 7 589 08-26-2023, 01:01 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Need school like ASU Universal Learner Program aetosdios 8 1,284 08-08-2023, 10:58 AM
Last Post: MNomadic