Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't misrepresent where you went to school.
(06-27-2018, 02:48 PM)sanantone Wrote: If the prestige of a college matters to an employer, then they likely know the difference between a prestigious school and its extension or professional school or an entirely separate school within the same system that has lower admissions standards. Those employers do not like to be lied to or misled. You probably could have gotten the job based on your work experience if you hadn't lied or fudged the truth.

If an employer does not know the difference between the prestigious or flagship school and its offshoots, then prestige likely doesn't matter to them. Most of their employees probably graduated from non-prestigious schools.

If you went to UT - El Paso, then that is what should be on your resume. Don't just put University of Texas. If you went to Texas A&M - Commerce, don't just put Texas A&M. If you went to CSU Global Campus, then don't omit "Global Campus." If you went to Harvard Extension, then Harvard tells you how to list your degree appropriately to avoid confusion. 

Also, if you completed a non-credit certificate at Columbia, then don't tell everyone that you studied business at Columbia. Tyra Banks got herself into trouble by making people believe that she was attending Harvard Business School when it was only an executive certificate program. 

A politician also got himself into hot water when he wasn't straight forward about attending Harvard Extension. All of this came to mind because this cop tried to brag to me about getting accepted to Harvard. It turns out he went to Harvard Extension which does not have competitive admission. He was just trying to make it seem like he was better than me because we don't exactly get along. Nice try. I know the difference. 

Quote:As somebody who has personally on-boarded somebody claiming an HES degree as a HGSAS degree, I can tell you that this is pure bullwack. What a complete waste of time and energy her fraud was. I wasted a ton of time looking into the issue. Harvard’s own standards have always made it clear to grads that their HES degree is not a Harvard College degree. Period… It’s willful ignorance on the part of HES grads that it will be overlooked. Anyone who doesn’t know how to represent an HES degree on a resume is a liar.

Quote:It happens every few years where my firm gets an HES grad misrepresenting their degree. The latest “MA Anthropology – Harvard,” which after a little checking (we have learned to ALWAYS be suspicious), ends up being an MLA with a concentration from HES. When confronted they always plead ignorance and make the same BS argument about how they took classes on campus at Harvard taught by faculty and blah, blah, blah. Some are otherwise good candidates, but they are still committing resume fraud. I would take an honest UMass or UConn grad over HES any day. Had they listed their true HES credential on the resume and sold it in the interview, they would be fine.

http://blogs.harvard.edu/lamont/2017/11/...l-degrees/

http://floridapolitics.com/archives/2199...st-harvard

While I accept this premise, I think it can easily get pretty tricky especially the further away you get from the rather well established "extension" or  "Global Campus" programs and branch campuses of various reputes. Those are cut and dry, Harvard Extension isn't really Harvard as most people imagine it, Purdue University-Calumet isn't really Purdue in an even more real sense, and UNC-Asheville is even less related to UNC-Chapel Hill than any of the rest. This is straightforward, but that isn't always the case. 

Take for example the University of Iowa. A name brand school that is mildly prestigious insofar as any school with a billion dollar endowment, lots of famous alumni, at least one top ranked grad program, and a 70,000 seat football stadium has prestige)... a degree from Iowa isn't Harvard, but it should open some doors. Iowa operates an online/off campus program for non-traditional students through it's University College, this program is only open to students who are over age 22 with some college credit and provides them with a general studies program to earn a degree. This is very similar to some of the programs you mention, and I cannot imagine it is competitive. However the University of Iowa lumps the University College in with it's other academic units (College of Liberal Arts, College of Education, etc.), someone earning a degree from the college gets to go to Iowa City and graduate with everyone else. What are those graduates? Are they Iowa alumni? A lower class of Iowa alumni? Does one general studies degree from Iowa mean more or less to grad schools and employers (especially outside of the state of Iowa) than another? Should these people put "University College" on their resume even though you wouldn't put "College of Liberal Arts and Sciences"?

And then, of course, there are those employers who don't believe in the value of any degree not earned in person. If I attend Arizona State online, should I mention that? Some employers may think it's misleading to claim I went to Arizona State if I've never set foot in Tempe. Should I ensure that they have the opportunity to weed me out on that basis? This isn't the same as being dishonest, but it gets to some of the same issues more broadly about the way that this can be kind of arbitrary in certain cases.
(06-30-2018, 01:01 AM)brodie Wrote: While I accept this premise, I think it can easily get pretty tricky especially the further away you get from the rather well established "extension" or  "Global Campus" programs and branch campuses of various reputes. Those are cut and dry, Harvard Extension isn't really Harvard as most people imagine it, Purdue University-Calumet isn't really Purdue in an even more real sense, and UNC-Asheville is even less related to UNC-Chapel Hill than any of the rest. This is straightforward, but that isn't always the case. 

Take for example the University of Iowa. A name brand school that is mildly prestigious insofar as any school with a billion dollar endowment, lots of famous alumni, at least one top ranked grad program, and a 70,000 seat football stadium has prestige)... a degree from Iowa isn't Harvard, but it should open some doors. Iowa operates an online/off campus program for non-traditional students through it's University College, this program is only open to students who are over age 22 with some college credit and provides them with a general studies program to earn a degree. This is very similar to some of the programs you mention, and I cannot imagine it is competitive. However the University of Iowa lumps the University College in with it's other academic units (College of Liberal Arts, College of Education, etc.), someone earning a degree from the college gets to go to Iowa City and graduate with everyone else. What are those graduates? Are they Iowa alumni? A lower class of Iowa alumni? Does one general studies degree from Iowa mean more or less to grad schools and employers (especially outside of the state of Iowa) than another? Should these people put "University College" on their resume even though you wouldn't put "College of Liberal Arts and Sciences"?

And then, of course, there are those employers who don't believe in the value of any degree not earned in person. If I attend Arizona State online, should I mention that? Some employers may think it's misleading to claim I went to Arizona State if I've never set foot in Tempe. Should I ensure that they have the opportunity to weed me out on that basis? This isn't the same as being dishonest, but it gets to some of the same issues more broadly about the way that this can be kind of arbitrary in certain cases.

It's not tricky at all.  Just write on your resume what your diploma says.  There, simple.

And no, you don't have to put that you went online, if the diploma doesn't say it was online.  Just because someone might "think" that you have to go to the actual campus to get the degree, doesn't negate what the school itself says.  If a school determines that their online courses are as good as their in-person courses, and puts their name on them, then that's good enough.  It's not you who is portraying something a certain way, and you can't predict what someone might think.

Just write what it says on the diploma, and don't worry about the rest.

AND, I can't imagine that the majority of time (probably 90% in most industries), anyone will ever even ask about college.  Employers want to know that you can do the job, and most of the time, that's proven through your work history.  THAT is what employers care about.  HR might care about the degree, and they may check to make sure you have the degree you claim, but they're not going to question every course and see where you took them.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-30-2018, 02:25 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-30-2018, 01:01 AM)brodie Wrote: While I accept this premise, I think it can easily get pretty tricky especially the further away you get from the rather well established "extension" or  "Global Campus" programs and branch campuses of various reputes. Those are cut and dry, Harvard Extension isn't really Harvard as most people imagine it, Purdue University-Calumet isn't really Purdue in an even more real sense, and UNC-Asheville is even less related to UNC-Chapel Hill than any of the rest. This is straightforward, but that isn't always the case. 

It's not tricky at all.  Just write on your resume what your diploma says.  There, simple.

And no, you don't have to put that you went online, if the diploma doesn't say it was online.  Just because someone might "think" that you have to go to the actual campus to get 

Some diplomas will only say BS or BA.  Other diplomas put on the Major.  Some diplomas will even have an honor level to it.  

The official college Transcript would be more accurate.  The employer (ie Federal Gov) gets sent an official Transcript not a diploma.  What your official Transcript says!
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Nurse practitioner education is predominately online. Some programs have students come to the campus only to take tests and examine practice patients. Other programs are completely online with no campus visit ever. Duke and Vanderbilt have lots of on campus visits required. It's not just a question of rigor or prestige. It's also a question of academic integrity. Do you prefer an NP who graduated from a program where all testing was done in person? Do you think that online is as good as in person education where the students spend many long hours studying, practicing, and discussing with each other? Are you answering these questions as a potential nurse practitioner student who currently lives in the middle of nowhere? Or are you answering as the patient who lives in the middle of nowhere who may have a nurse practitioner as the only healthcare provider option? There are many physicians criticizing the predominately online nature of nurse practitioner education. Clarification: the clinical training involving actual patients is always in person.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
Sitting in a classroom is overrated. The amount people participate in classroom discussions is exaggerated. Many medical school students don't bother to show up for didactic classes, which is why Stanford started offering lectures online. Research has found that online courses are just as affective for adult learners. Cheating on testing is prevented with online proctoring. Research has found that on-campus students are more likely to cheat on everything else.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Zippadeedoodah
(06-30-2018, 10:45 AM)clep3705 Wrote: Nurse practitioner education is predominately online. Some programs have students come to the campus only to take tests and examine practice patients. Other programs are completely online with no campus visit ever. Duke and Vanderbilt have lots of on campus visits required. It's not just a question of rigor or prestige. It's also a question of academic integrity. Do you prefer an NP who graduated from a program where all testing was done in person? Do you think that online is as good as in person education where the students spend many long hours studying, practicing, and discussing with each other? Are you answering these questions as a potential nurse practitioner student who currently lives in the middle of nowhere? Or are you answering as the patient who lives in the middle of nowhere who may have a nurse practitioner as the only healthcare provider option? There are many physicians criticizing the predominately online nature of nurse practitioner education. Clarification: the clinical training involving actual patients is always in person.

Most people that go on to be NP's are already practicing in medicine in some way (like RN's) and can't go to school full time, or even get to campuses on a regular basis.  So they have found that online works better, and that they can serve their students more effectively.  If SCHOOLS themselves have found that the best way for NP's to learn is online, why would YOU question that?  I wouldn't.

If they do a portion of their learning online, and do the clinicals in person, I don't see the problem.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
What would be the problem with NP education being online? It's only for those who already have credentials as nurses and are working in the field. It's like the RN to BSN programs - most of those are online too but it's an extension of the education already earned. It hardly has anything to do with the topic, which is what one should put on a resume.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
dfrecore, I'm not questioning the schools. I specifically stated that some physicians are questioning online education and thus the schools. I heard one say that he won't train online NP students. rlw74, online vs. in person won't appear on a transcript. I'm speculating that if a physician looked down on online training, he or she would react differently depending on whether or not online appeared on a resume or c.v. Although I gave an example in a specific field, I'm really seeking opinions on whether or not people think the field of study affects whether online is relevant to the resume. We talk about credit laundering here. Is there such a thing as online laundering, a way to hide online from the resume? Saying Harvard Extension instead of Harvard seems like online laundering. Does the spirit of full disclosure mean that online should be on a resume? My only goal is to add some nuances to what I think is an interesting discussion.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
There are a few degrees that specify it's online (iMBA from University of Illinois via Coursera) but most are just degrees. People are under no obligation to state if it was online unless the degree or transcript specifies so. I'm sure a large proportion traditional B & M students now supplement part of their curriculum with some online courses and some nontraditional online students supplement with some but-in-seat courses. Heck, right now I'm doing an "online" program but well over half of my degree is transfer credits from in person courses from B & M and military.

If one was obligated to disclose that some/most/all of their courses were online, should other students disclose which classes they didn't show up to except on test day or which one's they slept during? Nowadays, an increasing amount of courses incorporate a blended learning approach anyway.

If an employer specifically asked about the nature of my education, I wouldn't lie. Thus far, no employers have cared that I'm pursuing my degree online and have actually seen that as a plus since it means I'm geographically flexible.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
I keep seeing debate about online versus in person courses and degrees.

I can say with 100% certainty that in person courses are easier, even if you can use “extra resources” online I have always been able to charm my way through in person courses, whereas online I have had to work twice or three times as hard. I know plenty of others who primary education is getting the teacher to like them enough to skate by.

The people who are against online courses and schools need to go ahead and retire.
[-] The following 4 users Like Johmford's post:
  • a2jc4life, cookderosa, jsd, ReyMysterioso

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,624 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 199 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 618 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Canada's Newest Medical School - Opening 2026 at SFU bjcheung77 1 321 11-01-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Brown Medical School withdraws from U.S. News rankings allvia 2 438 10-30-2023, 09:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How Technology Shapes Ideas - University of Chicago Graham School Charles Fout 0 256 09-15-2023, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  ACSOM - Caribbean Medical School (New!) bjcheung77 9 1,042 09-05-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  UK equivalent of high school diploma axa 8 4,038 09-01-2023, 08:13 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  High School online from the UK | 9 months, A Levels equivalent in the US elcastor21 7 589 08-26-2023, 01:01 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Need school like ASU Universal Learner Program aetosdios 8 1,284 08-08-2023, 10:58 AM
Last Post: MNomadic