Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Done MBA without a Bachelor's Degree 10 years ago & some employers still demand one
(11-03-2019, 05:33 PM)PositiveSoul Wrote: ...
I have around 70 credits (lower and upper) and almost two decades of professional experience as well as an MBA from an AACSB-Accredited, EQUIS-Accredited, EFMD-CEL-Accredited British University. I was wondering which university (i.e. Thomas Eddison, Charter Oaks, The Excelsior) will be kind enough to grant me a Bachelor's Degree based upon what I have so far. I am leaning more towards Prior Learning Assessments (PLAs) than CLEPS, DATNES, etc.

To answer your actual question, any one of the Big3 three would work for this. You will have to take a capstone course, and with COSC and TESU a cornerstone course. I went the PLA route for my BACS (there were no alternative credit options for the courses I needed then). If you can simply take an exam or online course at one of the alternative providers to get credit for something, you'll likely find that faster, easier and surer than doing a portfolio for a PLA of the same course. Compare the effort of doing 10-15 pages of documentation of your learning for, say Financial Accounting, plus getting attestation letters from former supervisors or instructors and samples of your work, then waiting for a subject matter expert to pass judgement on it vs. reading some lessons, watching some videos and doing some quizzes and exams on Study.com. Also, some courses, like basic English, Math or Science, may be difficult to PLA.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • PositiveSoul
(11-04-2019, 01:10 PM)davewill Wrote: Also, some courses, like basic English, Math or Science, may be difficult to PLA.

If I'm not mistaken, TESU has a policy against doing a PLA for Math. Not sure about COSC/EC
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
Thank you very much to each and every individual who was kind enough to give me her/his kind feedback. Smile

I am glad to report that everything went fine and I got the job offer. I am grateful to my University folks who were kind enough to step in and rescue me upon my request.

There is always light at the end of the tunnel, one just needs to be honest, persistent and stay positive. Never ever give up.

I have decided not to pursue a Bachelor's Degree but to stick to my MBA without a Bachelor's Degree.

Once again, thank you all.

Have a great, productive, prosperous and healthy life. Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like PositiveSoul's post:
  • cookderosa, davewill, jsd, quigongene
This is a prime example of the watered down k-12 system. People can no longer think beyond phase 1. Obviously the hiring person does not understand that the MBA is a superior degree covering information above and beyond what the lower level degree would cover. For example, a hiring person may overlook someone with an accounting degree because the job description requires a business degree or the job description requires an associates and the candidate has a BA.

Would OP be better off completing 20 graded credits and graduating from Athabasca University, with the BGS? It has a 0 residency and he could put a bachelors on his resume so dumb humans or computers don't deny them the job opportunity.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
(11-06-2019, 12:29 PM)videogamesrock Wrote: This is a prime example of the watered down k-12 system.  People can no longer think beyond phase 1.  Obviously the hiring person does not understand that the MBA is a superior degree covering information above and beyond what the lower level degree would cover.  For example, a hiring person may overlook someone with an accounting degree because the job description requires a business degree or the job description requires an associates and the candidate has a BA.  

Would OP be better off completing 20 graded credits and graduating from Athabasca University, with the BGS?   It has a 0 residency and he could put a bachelors on his resume so dumb humans or computers don't deny them the job opportunity.

(11-05-2019, 05:40 PM)PositiveSoul Wrote: ...

I am glad to report that everything went fine and I got the job offer.

They did understand, it did not pose a problem.
(11-06-2019, 12:44 PM)lacussucceed Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 12:29 PM)videogamesrock Wrote: This is a prime example of the watered down k-12 system.  People can no longer think beyond phase 1.  Obviously the hiring person does not understand that the MBA is a superior degree covering information above and beyond what the lower level degree would cover.  For example, a hiring person may overlook someone with an accounting degree because the job description requires a business degree or the job description requires an associates and the candidate has a BA.  

Would OP be better off completing 20 graded credits and graduating from Athabasca University, with the BGS?   It has a 0 residency and he could put a bachelors on his resume so dumb humans or computers don't deny them the job opportunity.

(11-05-2019, 05:40 PM)PositiveSoul Wrote: ...

I am glad to report that everything went fine and I got the job offer.

They did understand, it did not pose a problem.

Perfect, I posted just in case someone else might have this similar issue in the future, Athabasca might be a solution.
MA in progress
AAS & AGS

I have never heard of Athabasca University, can you please explain more about completing 20 graded credits and graduating with a BGS? Would someone transfer their grad credits into Athabasca to receive the BGS? Unclear on the steps required. Please advise break-down because this is a new concept.
(11-06-2019, 03:59 PM)HogwartsSchool Wrote:

I have never heard of Athabasca University, can you please explain more about completing 20 graded credits and graduating with a BGS? Would someone transfer their grad credits into Athabasca to receive the BGS? Unclear on the steps required. Please advise break-down because this is a new concept.

Athabasca has a 3 year bachelors degree in general studies. You can transfer in 90 graded credits from a regionally accredited university and pay a fee to graduate. It is a Canadian college but also has US accreditation. You only need 90 credits to get the degree. I’m assuming the graduate credits would transfer in as UL.

Sent from my typewriter.
MA in progress
AAS & AGS
(11-07-2019, 09:59 PM)videogamesrock Wrote: Athabasca has a 3 year bachelors degree in general studies. You can transfer in 90 graded credits from a regionally accredited university and pay a fee to graduate.  It is a Canadian college but also has US accreditation. You only need 90 credits to get the degree. I’m assuming the graduate credits would transfer in as UL.

Do you know their policy on ACE credit? Do they have a cap / cornerstone?
(11-07-2019, 10:49 PM)lacussucceed Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 09:59 PM)videogamesrock Wrote: Athabasca has a 3 year bachelors degree in general studies. You can transfer in 90 graded credits from a regionally accredited university and pay a fee to graduate.  It is a Canadian college but also has US accreditation. You only need 90 credits to get the degree. I’m assuming the graduate credits would transfer in as UL.

Do you know their policy on ACE credit? Do they have a cap / cornerstone?

No cap, no cornerstone, and no ACE.

Sent from my typewriter.
MA in progress
AAS & AGS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,459 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 482 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 772 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,179 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,704 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74
  Hypnotherapy + $30 course or $12,000 degree = Licensed "Medical" Profession nykorn 6 952 01-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: CenterSquarEd
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 618 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  These Rural Texans Opted Out of a Degree. This Community College Wants Them Back LevelUP 1 376 12-22-2023, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Avidreader