Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Double Major in Business and Psych at TESC
I would like to get a double major: a BSBA in Gen Business and a BA in Psych. I couldn't find a thread of info on this on degreeforum. Has anyone double majored at TESC?
I plan on testing out of each major completely, leaving only the req'd capstones.

Thoughts?
You can't doubel major a BS subject with a BA subject, they've got to be two of a kind.
Yenisei Wrote:You can't doubel major a BS subject with a BA subject, they've got to be two of a kind.

Good to know. Smile So, I will need to graduate with one degree, then re-enroll and graduate with another degree..?
hejbelle Wrote:Good to know. Smile So, I will need to graduate with one degree, then re-enroll and graduate with another degree..?

You can do two areas of study in the same degree (like Communications and Psychology) or can complete two different degrees (like the BA and BSBA) but need to watch the fine print found in the college catalog. You need to focus on the sequencing and the "new credit" requirements for a second degree. To answer your question, you can complete one degree and move onto to the next as long as you meet the requirements. Check out the college catalog for details (http://www.tesc.edu/documents/College_Catalog.pdf) but note that this is the 2012-2013 catalog and things change (they should release the new catalog sometime soon but I wouldn't expect these policies to change too much as they are pretty standard). Check out pages 197-198 for the policies on two areas of study and/or getting a second degree.
My completed "non-traditional" credits include 27 credits from CLEP, 30 credits from DSST, 6 credits from ALEKS, 19 credits from FEMA courses including PDS, 3 credits from NFA courses, 10 credits from ACE Workplace Training, 3 credits from a TESC TECEP exam, and 3 credits from a TESC PLA course.
I finished 2 bachelors degrees at TESC and I recommend it to those of you who have credits that are sitting below the degree line on your evaluation and that have additional time.
The way I did it was to first graduate with the BSBA CIS and I had to wait until the degree was conferred prior to taking any CLEP tests for the BA Natural Science/Math. You will have to do the same.
This means that there is a 3 month lull in which you do no testing or taking classes. That was difficult for me so I enrolled in a MBA program to pass the time. Then I resumed the second bachelors concurrently with the MBA program and graduated again without paying another year of enrollment. Just paid graduation fees, CLEP test fees, SL.com tuition, and tuition for 9 credits at TESC. I am glad I did it.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
ryoder Wrote:This means that there is a 3 month lull in which you do no testing or taking classes.

I am currently 12 semester credit hours away from a BA in Psych from TESC, including the capstone. I have an active application with TESC, and will pay the enrollment fees when I have completed all but the capstone. Are you saying that I cannot continue taking CLEPs, DSSTs, etc; towards a BSBA until I have officially graduated with the BA in Psych? Could I not simply delay transmission of the transcripts to TESC until I graduate with the BA in Psych?
To date: Transferred 60 credits in from B&M colleges, earned 57 credits by examination in 6 mos, aced the capstone to earn a BA in Psychology.

Earned: BA in Psychology, 2014 - TESC
Current Goal: BSBA in General Management, 2014 - TESC
Future Goal: MA in Counseling - TBD

3/6/13 - 12/22/13:
Substance Abuse: 464
Fundamentals of Counseling: 72
General Anthropology: 67
Organizational Behavior: 68
Intro to World Religions: 440
Art of the Western World: 60
Humanities: 56
Abnormal Psychology: A
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature: 68
Western Civilization I: Ancient Near East to 1648: 54
Human Growth and Development: 66
Principles of Macroeconomics: 67
College Comp: 50 (dupes English 101)
Intro to Statistics ALEKS
Research Methods In Psychology: A
Social Psychology: A
Intro to Educational Psychology: 71
TESC LIB-495 Capstone: A (4.0)

Principles of Management 70
Introductory Business Law 68
Ethics in America 463
Business Ethics & Society 462
I have never seen a DSST or CLEP transcript, but when I send scores to Central Texas College, they record the exact date of when I took them. They know the date somehow.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:I have never seen a DSST or CLEP transcript, but when I send scores to Central Texas College, they record the exact date of when I took them. They know the date somehow.

Ok, I get it. I don't like it, but I get it. Is this standard, or just TESC? I don't understand why it should matter when one takes classes or tests for credit. It seems sort of ironic considering their generous credit transfer policy otherwise.
To date: Transferred 60 credits in from B&M colleges, earned 57 credits by examination in 6 mos, aced the capstone to earn a BA in Psychology.

Earned: BA in Psychology, 2014 - TESC
Current Goal: BSBA in General Management, 2014 - TESC
Future Goal: MA in Counseling - TBD

3/6/13 - 12/22/13:
Substance Abuse: 464
Fundamentals of Counseling: 72
General Anthropology: 67
Organizational Behavior: 68
Intro to World Religions: 440
Art of the Western World: 60
Humanities: 56
Abnormal Psychology: A
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature: 68
Western Civilization I: Ancient Near East to 1648: 54
Human Growth and Development: 66
Principles of Macroeconomics: 67
College Comp: 50 (dupes English 101)
Intro to Statistics ALEKS
Research Methods In Psychology: A
Social Psychology: A
Intro to Educational Psychology: 71
TESC LIB-495 Capstone: A (4.0)

Principles of Management 70
Introductory Business Law 68
Ethics in America 463
Business Ethics & Society 462
That's great! Thanks for the info!
frances Wrote:Ok, I get it. I don't like it, but I get it. Is this standard, or just TESC? I don't understand why it should matter when one takes classes or tests for credit. It seems sort of ironic considering their generous credit transfer policy otherwise.

Schools usually require that you earn new credits toward a second degree.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,678 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  TESU BA PSYCH AOS? Mab81 1 1,268 09-02-2018, 06:52 PM
Last Post: jsd
  COSC BSBA (General Business) -- Check please??? stampbuyme 5 1,833 07-26-2018, 03:20 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  Test Out Business Degree plan Bk2Skool 13 4,686 07-23-2018, 06:56 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business Degree and Dental School Flowers12 6 2,482 07-19-2018, 03:12 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,641 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Enrolled in the Business Capstone course for the July Term. Anybody else? camjenks 25 4,988 07-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: keokat
  Options for TESU BSBA Gen.Mgt Finance & Business/Society Excellente 5 1,923 06-30-2018, 06:05 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  DSST Management Information Systems and CLEP Business Information systems vetvso 10 2,572 06-06-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Accounting vs Business Admin Rustydroid 20 3,620 06-03-2018, 02:10 PM
Last Post: tesu-acct-student