Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Double major at tesu
(05-04-2020, 08:06 PM)Not_a_robot_101 Wrote: So BJCheung or anyone else who might want to chime in, let me see if you can answer this:

I am registered to take my TESU BSBA Capstone at the beginning of June. Upon completion, I will have met all prerequisites to graduate with a BSBA in HR/OrgMan and a ASNSM in Computer Sci.

Glancing at my Academic Evaluation, I currently have 101 credits towards a BA in Liberal Arts. Is there anyway I can graduate with all three at the same period? I feel like I can easily knock out 24 credits towards the BA-LA through Sophia and SDC.

Thoughts, recommendations? Currently, obtaining the BSBA and progressing to a Masters is my focus, but if its a minimal amount of effort for a second degree, it seems like common sense to pursue it.

It's not minimal amount of effort - it's another capstone entirely.  I don't think it's worth it to get a BSBA AND a liberal arts degree - it doesn't make any sense to do so.

Many times on here, people get into getting degrees, rather than focusing on getting one and then moving onto something that's more beneficial to your career/life plans.  Just because you have credits doesn't mean you need to spend the time and money getting another degree, when it's just general.  If it was CompSci or something like that, maybe.  But a BALS is not worth it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • spohara
(05-04-2020, 11:30 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-04-2020, 08:06 PM)Not_a_robot_101 Wrote: So BJCheung or anyone else who might want to chime in, let me see if you can answer this:

I am registered to take my TESU BSBA Capstone at the beginning of June. Upon completion, I will have met all prerequisites to graduate with a BSBA in HR/OrgMan and a ASNSM in Computer Sci.

Glancing at my Academic Evaluation, I currently have 101 credits towards a BA in Liberal Arts. Is there anyway I can graduate with all three at the same period? I feel like I can easily knock out 24 credits towards the BA-LA through Sophia and SDC.

Thoughts, recommendations? Currently, obtaining the BSBA and progressing to a Masters is my focus, but if its a minimal amount of effort for a second degree, it seems like common sense to pursue it.

It's not minimal amount of effort - it's another capstone entirely.  I don't think it's worth it to get a BSBA AND a liberal arts degree - it doesn't make any sense to do so.

Many times on here, people get into getting degrees, rather than focusing on getting one and then moving onto something that's more beneficial to your career/life plans.  Just because you have credits doesn't mean you need to spend the time and money getting another degree, when it's just general.  If it was CompSci or something like that, maybe.  But a BALS is not worth it.

I think you are all making some excellent points. I had a F2F discussion with my wife who has a BA-History degree and we debated the cost vs. gain if you already have a BSBA. While getting a second degree is possible, I will be graduating with an ASNSM in Comp. Sci. and a BSBA in HR/Org. This will open the way to my main goal of starting my masters program. I don't see getting a BALS doing much to assist my career and it will also bring with it additional opportunity cost. Also, some degrees have more value than others depending on the career path you choose. I work in Business / Emergency Management. A second degree in BALS would not make more competitive as a prospective candidate for a job. Potentially finishing my masters 6-12 months sooner could. Heck, if I was really crazy, I could take the 6-12 months spent on a BALS and throw myself at a MBA through WGU instead. It would be slightly more expensive, but much better for my overall educational progression. 

Robot
Current Course(s): Business Administration Capstone BUS-421 (TESU)

AMU (9); CSM (3); CLEP (15); DSST (3); InstantCert (15); Institutes (3)Military (51); Sophia (6); Straighterline (15); Study.com (6); Thomas Edison State University (3); University of Alaska (12)
(05-06-2020, 06:20 PM)Not_a_robot_101 Wrote:
(05-04-2020, 11:30 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

I think you are all making some excellent points. I had a F2F discussion with my wife who has a BA-History degree and we debated the cost vs. gain if you already have a BSBA. While getting a second degree is possible, I will be graduating with an ASNSM in Comp. Sci. and a BSBA in HR/Org. This will open the way to my main goal of starting my masters program. I don't see getting a BALS doing much to assist my career and it will also bring with it additional opportunity cost. Also, some degrees have more value than others depending on the career path you choose. I work in Business / Emergency Management. A second degree in BALS would not make more competitive as a prospective candidate for a job. Potentially finishing my masters 6-12 months sooner could. Heck, if I was really crazy, I could take the 6-12 months spent on a BALS and throw myself at a MBA through WGU instead. It would be slightly more expensive, but much better for my overall educational progression. 

Robot

The main issue here is that the OP asked about getting a dual major within a degree at the same school - so a Psych and Communications major, or History and Criminal Justice.  Your question went off-track because the BSBA and BALS are not the same "school" within TESU - so it would be 2 separate degrees, each with it's own capstone.  Also, if you were getting a BSBA and happened to be in an older catalog that didn't require the cornerstone, adding a BALS now would also add the cornerstone.

So you'd have to do 24cr in the major, plus the additional capstone, plus the possibility of the cornerstone.  So totally not worth the price, IMHO.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
This just occurred to me and not sure if I’m thinking this correctly. If your evaluation shows that the capstone is all you need to complete the bacs as well as the ba liberal studies. Is there a reason to or not to just go ahead and double major?
I don’t know if I’m missing something or a having a brain lapse , but it seems if it doesn’t cost anymore than why not ? Or does it cost more ?

A couple of advantages that I can think of is.
1) it allows for the option of choosing between taking the ets written assignment 400-800 words or the major exam. 

2) it allows for more freedom in choosing your capstone topic. 
Liberal studies = just about anything. Right ?
Computer science = topics related to it
Weird, I missed this thread the first time around for some reason... I wonder why or what happened there, anyways... @Pats20, I don't know if you have enough AOS courses that currently don't overlap. If you have enough of those 18 UL credits that are different, then why not? If you don't, then you'll be taking some extra energy, money, time to get those credits. A BALS isn't really needed unless that's the first degree and a check the box option you want... Without knowing if you have enough overlapping courses or different courses to make the AOS, it may delay your graduation. If no extra energy, money, time is involved, go for it!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-15-2022, 05:31 PM)I bjcheung77 Wrote: Weird, I missed this thread the first time around for some reason... I wonder why or what happened there, anyways... @Pats20, I don't know if you have enough AOS courses that currently don't overlap.  If you have enough of those 18 UL credits that are different, then why not?  If you don't, then you'll be taking some extra energy, money, time to get those credits.  A BALS isn't really needed unless that's the first degree and a check the box option you want...  Without knowing if you have enough overlapping courses or different courses to make the AOS, it may delay your graduation.  If no extra energy, money, time is involved, go for it!
Ahh. Brain lapse. Lol. That’s what I missed. I was thinking this can’t be right. I’ve got to be missing something. 

Yep. Sure enough. 
Thanks Bj
(10-15-2022, 05:09 PM)Pats20 Wrote: This just occurred to me and not sure if I’m thinking this correctly. If your evaluation shows that the capstone is all you need to complete the bacs as well as the ba liberal studies. Is there a reason to or not to just go ahead and double major?
I don’t know if I’m missing something or a having a brain lapse , but it seems if it doesn’t cost anymore than why not ? Or does it cost more ?

A couple of advantages that I can think of is.
1) it allows for the option of choosing between taking the ets written assignment 400-800 words or the major exam. 

2) it allows for more freedom in choosing your capstone topic. 
Liberal studies = just about anything. Right ?
Computer science = topics related to it

For the BALS at TESU, you can do your capstone on anything you want - it doesn't have to be related to your major.
Keep in mind that you can only share 9 credits (3 courses) between the two AoS in the second degree/major.

You can get the Associate in Liberal Arts for free without having to do additional courses. Though it won't mean much for jobs, you can include it or not include it on your resume.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 16 2,345 Yesterday, 11:51 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 529 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 456 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 480 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 261 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,234 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 233 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 377 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 300 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 279 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27