Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Double major?
Hi!
I'm relatively new to the concept of testing out of a degree, and I'm wondering how exactly a double major at TESU works. I've asked the school directly but didn't get much of an answer. 
I am interested in majoring in History & English. So would i be replacing electives with the second area of study which would then be about 126 credits or would i have to do one whole degree (GER + AOS + electives) and the second AOS (cca. 160 credits).
You can use English AOS courses as History electives and vice versa. Definitely less than 160 credits! TESU advisors are, unfortunately, not very helpful when it comes to this sort of thing. Have you already applied and enrolled? Do you have any credits already?
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(06-02-2021, 10:48 AM)rachel83az Wrote: You can use English AOS courses as History electives and vice versa. Definitely less than 160 credits! TESU advisors are, unfortunately, not very helpful when it comes to this sort of thing. Have you already applied and enrolled? Do you have any credits already?
No, i haven't applied yet, and I suppose that's why their answers are so vague.

I'm starting my degree from scratch and am currently mapping out everything I need and trying to gather all the information.
As you've already discovered, they will be even more unhelpful if you aren't already an enrolled student. Fortunately, we can help you along your way. If you haven't already found it, make sure you check out the wiki: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Yes, you can get those 2 majors together; and it would be 123cr, with a single capstone; and zero Free Electives - so make sure every course counts!

Also make sure you get 24cr of RA in there - the easiest way to do so is to use ONU for some Lit and History courses:
ENG 204 - World Literature (English LL elective)
ENG 300 - Thematic Studies in Literature (English UL elective)
HIS 379 - Latin American History and Politics (UL, Non-Western/Non US History requirement)
and then choose 5 other courses or RA exams:
UExcel HISx340: World Conflicts Since 1900 (UL history elective)
TECEP - World History from 1600 to Present (LL history Elective)
TECEP - Technical Writing (LL English Elective)
TECEP - Introduction to News Reporting (LL English Elective)

You can also choose other ones that will just work for the Gen Eds as well, but the above are kind of killing 2 birds with 1 stone.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Yes, probably without going over the 120 requirement - Technically you can get BOTH degree majors completed with the work of one. As for the BA's, each has 27 free electives and 17-20 general education electives, essentially that can be all the second major area of studies courses you need. So, you can just graduate with one degree requirement and voila, a double major BA in English/History! You'll even have extra space left for free electives after bumping 4 history courses into your "general education electives".
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I put together a degree plan and I'd like your opinions on things I might missed or could do better.

Also I'm from Europe, so CLEP is not an option.

Attached Files
.pdf   Degree Plan.pdf (Size: 54.79 KB / Downloads: 20)
You have 10 RA classes + the capstone & cornerstone. You only need 8 + capstone & cornerstone. I would suggest taking both Micro&Macroeconomics from Sophia instead of taking one at TEL + one at Sophia. Take American Government at InstantCert instead of TEL.

I would suggest switching from Study.com's Non-Western Literature to Olivet's World Literature, if possible. Get enrolled at TESU and have it pre-planned as soon as you can to ensure that it will work. Reason? SDC's course has a list of a half dozen or so books that you need to acquire somehow. ONU's courses include everything built-in.

If you haven't already taken SDC's Astronomy 101, don't. Sophia's options are much cheaper and easier. If you know what a computer is, you've essentially already passed Intro to IT.

You might also want to swap out English Comp I & II at Sophia for the TECEPs. These would count as RA credit. The Sophia English Comp classes can be... problematic. If you did that, you could change out Principles of Psychology and Intro to Christianity for something at Sophia.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • tallpilot

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Double Degree How To kowenboy 3 236 02-29-2024, 01:05 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  BA Double Major Completed Niketay 3 575 11-01-2023, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Niketay
  TESU BA Double Major Niketay 22 1,538 07-13-2023, 06:48 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  ETS Major Field Tests mt_1994 6 751 05-26-2023, 08:24 AM
Last Post: spohara
Question How to take the ETS Major Field Test? LevelUP 10 2,772 10-31-2022, 10:51 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Double major at tesu Sb2013 17 4,378 10-16-2022, 04:37 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Dual Major - Upper Level Credit Requirements for 2nd Degree StudiousTraveller 9 993 10-13-2022, 08:38 PM
Last Post: StudiousTraveller
  ETS Major Field Tests? ab10365 10 3,858 10-10-2022, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Pats20
  LIB-498 ETS Major Field Test fmsoa 4 1,039 07-01-2022, 01:38 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Double Graduation Fee Concern Sallym 2 684 05-22-2022, 03:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore