Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dr. Robert W. McGee
(04-13-2019, 12:48 AM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(04-12-2019, 11:37 AM)sanantone Wrote:
(04-12-2019, 12:26 AM)mysonx3 Wrote: I've kicked around the idea of two doctorates (a PhD and a JD), but am very unlikely to do even that. I can't even imagine 13! What's the point?

I didn't even count the JD as a doctorate. It technically is a doctorate, but outside of law schools, it's not seen as the equivalent of a PhD, EdD, PsyD, DBA, etc. It's more of a long master's degree program similar to an MSW. An LLM is higher than a JD. It's a weird hierarchy that was created when the U.S. got rid of the LLB. There's also the SJD, JSD, and other true doctorates in law. It's not unusual for someone with a JD to go back to school for a true doctorate.

I like the way you phrase that, with it not being a "true doctorate", since even though it is *technically* a doctorate, it doesn't FEEL like one, and in many ways is very different.

I don't think most people know that the JD is a doctorate, or they've subconsciously relegated it to something else. A person with just about any other doctoral degree is almost automatically called "doctor," but I've never heard anyone call a lawyer a doctor. The JD is definitely a first professional degree, though.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
When I was at Patten, there was a professor with a JD (no other doctoral degrees) who referred to herself as Dr. Whoever. I had never seen that before and was surprised. I asked a couple of my lawyer friends and they both said that was quite a faux pas, one was flabbergasted anyone would think to call themselves a doctor based on it. He brought up the oddity of law degrees where there's a Masters in Law, which comes after a JD.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I believe there are ABA ethics guidelines forbidding lawyers from referring to themselves as Dr. So and So unless they have another doctorate.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • cookderosa
(04-13-2019, 10:05 AM)mysonx3 Wrote: I believe there are ABA ethics guidelines forbidding lawyers from referring to themselves as Dr. So and So unless they have another doctorate.

What little i could find in a quick google search seems to imply this was the case at one point, but the ABA has reversed that rule... But it is still discouraged. 

The search also led me to this article, which I thought was pretty funny (from popular law blog Above The Law):

Any Lawyer Who Calls Himself ‘Doctor’ Like a Ph.D. Should Get Punched in the Mouth
By ELIE MYSTAL
https://abovethelaw.com/2011/11/any-lawy...the-mouth/
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • jamshid666