Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dropping a course at Excelsior College is $50!
So I dropped the one and only course I had registered for with Excelsior College because my financial aid package had been a mess and I wanted to square that away before making a solid commitment. Not 2 minutes had passed when I got an email saying that I was dropped from the class and that I would be assessed a $50 "processing fee". Pretty sweet deal for EC since all they need to do is click a "DROP" button. Not too happy with that so they sent me on my way to vent my frustration with the Ombudsman with whom I expressed my dismay.

Now, I'm sure it's in the student handbook or on some Add/Drop policy somewhere on their website but I just thought that was a rather bogus charge considering other institutions let the student Add/Drop courses within reason.

On a side note, the EC advisors missed a class on my transcript which I caught while going over my transcripts. I pointed this out and they agreed. They corrected this on my assessment. I have a lot of credits from various schools so I guess it happens but it was disappointing to see that happen nonetheless. A bittersweet finding since I was already studying to take the DSST using InstaCert.

I am having second thoughts about EC and have had all of my coursework transcripts sent to Charter Oak State College. I would have liked to also submit my work to TESC but the $2000+ enrollment fee is too much to swallow since I only need about 4-5 classes, of which 3-4 I can test out of.

Moral of the story: Review very, very carefully what classes you have on your transcripts in case advisors mess up. Secondly, submit your course transcripts to at least 2 schools, you just might be closer than you think.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="4"]Pixal00p[/SIZE]
--------
Excelsior College - BS in Business, General Business - May 2012
Cal State Fullerton - MS in Software Engineering - Application submitted.
[/SIZE]
It was a similiar issue that lead me to COSC. EC is a great school and really "fits" for some people, but they can be quirky and I don't think its the best place to use F/A dollars unless your a NY resident.

Note that COSC was more than happy to act as my "funding agent" yet they let me take as many classes as I wished elsewhere. that's what led me to CSU.

In fact take a look at CSU, they have many of the Organizational theory/leadership courses you are seeking and they are at about $500 a pop.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
TESC has a $2000 enrollment fee? I must be missing something here.......
06-20-2011 DSST Astronomy - 61
06-28-2011 CLEP Humanities - 62
07-07-2011 DSST Principles of Statistics - 427
07-11-2011 DSST Intro to World Religion - 464
07-18-2011 DSST Prin. of Public Speaking - 62
08-04-2011 DSST Environment and Humanity - 62
08-16-2011 CLEP Social Sciences and History - 65

AAS Aviation Maintenance Technology - Community College of the Air Force (August 2011)
AAS Education and Training Management - Community College of the Air Force (October 2014)
BS Workforce Education and Development - Southern Illinois University Carbondale(October 2011)
MA Information Technology Management - Webster University (May 2013)
MA Master of Human Resources Management - Webster University (May 2014)
pixaloop Wrote:So I dropped the one and only course I had registered for with Excelsior College because my financial aid package had been a mess and I wanted to square that away before making a solid commitment. Not 2 minutes had passed when I got an email saying that I was dropped from the class and that I would be assessed a $50 "processing fee". Pretty sweet deal for EC since all they need to do is click a "DROP" button. Not too happy with that so they sent me on my way to vent my frustration with the Ombudsman with whom I expressed my dismay.

Now, I'm sure it's in the student handbook or on some Add/Drop policy somewhere on their website but I just thought that was a rather bogus charge considering other institutions let the student Add/Drop courses within reason.

On a side note, the EC advisors missed a class on my transcript which I caught while going over my transcripts. I pointed this out and they agreed. They corrected this on my assessment. I have a lot of credits from various schools so I guess it happens but it was disappointing to see that happen nonetheless. A bittersweet finding since I was already studying to take the DSST using InstaCert.

I am having second thoughts about EC and have had all of my coursework transcripts sent to Charter Oak State College. I would have liked to also submit my work to TESC but the $2000+ enrollment fee is too much to swallow since I only need about 4-5 classes, of which 3-4 I can test out of.

Moral of the story: Review very, very carefully what classes you have on your transcripts in case advisors mess up. Secondly, submit your course transcripts to at least 2 schools, you just might be closer than you think.

Yes, and another moral, just breath. This will pass, and they won't be the last jack donkeys you'll likely encounter.
I remember a couple issues that were SO FRUSTRATING for me with TESC's financial aid office.....like on the verge of dropping out frustrating....but, I decided not to let this woman move my goal post, and I just moved on. Getting your degree is most important, you'll make it, keep going and good luck!
rhapsodyinblue Wrote:TESC has a $2000 enrollment fee? I must be missing something here.......

Looks like it unless there's something I'm missing.
Thomas Edison State College | Enrolled Options Plan
I don't know much about the school, just the little research I did.

But it looks like it's $2,858.00 for Out of State residents, which I am.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="4"]Pixal00p[/SIZE]
--------
Excelsior College - BS in Business, General Business - May 2012
Cal State Fullerton - MS in Software Engineering - Application submitted.
[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 1,845 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,827 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,167 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,922 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,291 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 961 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Excelsior annual fees homeschoolmom1 1 1,262 07-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Photo Shmoop Excelsior Evaluations In ReyMysterioso 0 1,775 06-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,218 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior College ranked #1 Life Long Learning 11 3,388 06-21-2018, 07:57 PM
Last Post: miah