Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dsst technical writing
Hello, I was wondering if anyone here had some tips for what to get ready for the technical writing DSST exam? I have the information from Petersons DOD MWR Libraries, I just wanted to see if there is anything else out there that I could use to get ready for the test. Any help is appreciated.
I passed this test with ~4 days of studying and a 66. This was definitely one of my easiest exams! I used the following to study:

~The Official Technical Writing DSST Fact Sheet. http://www.getcollegecredit.com/images/u...riting.pdf

~This free short practice test. hss_gerson_techwrite_4|An Introduction to Technical Writing|Quiz

~This study guide and practice test. VERY helpful!! There was some info on here that I did not find anywhere else that I needed to know on the test. http://www.dantestestprep.com/free-study...e-Test.pdf

~This study guide.

The Peterson's practice tests that you have are great -- they seemed similar to the actual test. My scores on those were 69% and 73%. Let me know if you have any questions! Good luck with your exam! Smile
CLEPs:
Biology: 64 | College Algebra: 60 | A&IL: 74 | Natural Sciences: 62 | College Comp: 62 | Intro Psychology: 73 | Intro Sociology: 67 | History of the U.S. I: 73 | History of the U.S. II: 65 | Principles of Marketing: 66 | Social Sciences & History: 68 | Humanities: 58

DSSTs:
Environment & Humanity: 59 | Technical Writing: 66 | Public Speaking: 67/Pass | Astronomy: 72

Other Courses:
Intro to Stats ALEKS: 70 | 24 FEMAs (including PDS) | Intro to News Reporting TECEP: Pass | Interpersonal Communication ECE: A | News Writing @ TESC: A | TESC Leadership Communication: A | TESC Mass Communication I: A | TESC Capstone: A | Marketing Communications TECEP: Pass | Argumentation & Debate @ LSU: A | Public Relations Thought & Practice TECEP: Pass

120/120 - DONE!!!
B.A. Communications through CollegePlus/TESC
My degree plan/test feedback
I got a 57 and a 60 on two of the Petersons practice test, I was planning on studying up some more and going to take the test soon. Do you think I might be ready?

Lady Grace of Pemberley Wrote:I passed this test with ~4 days of studying and a 66. This was definitely one of my easiest exams! I used the following to study:

~The Official Technical Writing DSST Fact Sheet. http://www.getcollegecredit.com/images/u...riting.pdf

~This free short practice test. hss_gerson_techwrite_4|An Introduction to Technical Writing|Quiz

~This study guide and practice test. VERY helpful!! There was some info on here that I did not find anywhere else that I needed to know on the test. http://www.dantestestprep.com/free-study...e-Test.pdf

~This study guide.

The Peterson's practice tests that you have are great -- they seemed similar to the actual test. My scores on those were 69% and 73%. Let me know if you have any questions! Good luck with your exam! Smile
Don't over think technical writing, it's not too tough. Know the keywords you have likely already found (freeclepprep.com has a nice list), the rest is essentially building paragraphs, which sentence goes best, that sort of thing.

With your scores on the practice tests I would say you are probably ready.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
frankshorey Wrote:I got a 57 and a 60 on two of the Petersons practice test, I was planning on studying up some more and going to take the test soon. Do you think I might be ready?

60% is usually good, so you should be good to go soon. Don't over-stress for this test - it was one of the easies I ever took! Let us know how it goes!
CLEPs:
Biology: 64 | College Algebra: 60 | A&IL: 74 | Natural Sciences: 62 | College Comp: 62 | Intro Psychology: 73 | Intro Sociology: 67 | History of the U.S. I: 73 | History of the U.S. II: 65 | Principles of Marketing: 66 | Social Sciences & History: 68 | Humanities: 58

DSSTs:
Environment & Humanity: 59 | Technical Writing: 66 | Public Speaking: 67/Pass | Astronomy: 72

Other Courses:
Intro to Stats ALEKS: 70 | 24 FEMAs (including PDS) | Intro to News Reporting TECEP: Pass | Interpersonal Communication ECE: A | News Writing @ TESC: A | TESC Leadership Communication: A | TESC Mass Communication I: A | TESC Capstone: A | Marketing Communications TECEP: Pass | Argumentation & Debate @ LSU: A | Public Relations Thought & Practice TECEP: Pass

120/120 - DONE!!!
B.A. Communications through CollegePlus/TESC
My degree plan/test feedback
Thought I should tell you that I scored a 50 on the test. I was surprised because I was tdy at the time and I didn't look at the material in well over 2 months.
I passed this test on Tuesday. It was my first test and I took it cold which looking back I should not have. I have 20 yrs experience in a corporate environment was the only thing that saved me.

On the last question 101 it asked for an essay (write an email) and just clicked finished without answering assuming I had already failed. Does anyone know if this will count against me? I ended up with a 54.
Robbman2000 Wrote:On the last question 101 it asked for an essay (write an email) and just clicked finished without answering assuming I had already failed. Does anyone know if this will count against me? I ended up with a 54.
It depends on your school. Thomas Edison doesn't require the essay so you're good Smile
BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
"There is still hope." ~TTT
"Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CLEP/DSST Exams jchef15 1 3,271 08-03-2017, 02:32 PM
Last Post: dcan
  Colorado Technical University Wounded Warrior Scholarship jmeitrem 0 1,604 04-03-2017, 06:39 PM
Last Post: jmeitrem
  Free DSST Retake jmeitrem 6 3,045 03-22-2017, 05:05 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  PETERSON'S DSST PRACTICE TESTS OFFER (Military) UNTIL MARCH 31, 2016 fsmaine0020 0 2,296 03-09-2016, 08:12 PM
Last Post: fsmaine0020
  CLEP/DSST credits for advanced enlistment? Arm4L1t3 10 3,098 09-25-2014, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Arm4L1t3
  DSST Principles of Public Speakin jlongbo 2 1,390 03-22-2013, 09:48 PM
Last Post: SoliDeoGloria
  DSST process defscarlett 6 1,330 02-21-2013, 11:14 PM
Last Post: asetek
  DOD FY 2011 CLEP DSST Pass Rates Shawn A 24 3,457 06-19-2012, 05:09 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  Military(AF) CLEP/DSST transcripts rhapsodyinblue 2 1,274 07-12-2011, 05:59 AM
Last Post: rhapsodyinblue
  Notice to Deployed CLEP/DSST Test Takers bonkj 10 3,935 08-07-2010, 12:49 AM
Last Post: Asp