Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dual or Multiple Degrees??
Say I want to earn a BA in Psych from TESC (which I do), but also want to earn another Bachelors degree in another area, ie: Business, Philosophy, Religion, Criminal Justice, History, whatever. Could I transfer all my credits from TESC to Excelsior or Charter Oak and get the second degree? Or just get the second degree from TESC?

TESC says that a student must earn "30 additional credits for a second baccalaureate degree beyond the date all prior degrees were completed." Ok, that's all well and good, but what if I just do all my tests before I graduate?

It just makes no sense that I'd have to graduate first, then go back and take 30 more credits. So if any of you has any advice, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!!!
Jesse
BA, Thomas Edison State College
MS, Grand Canyon University
HawkGuy Wrote:Say I want to earn a BA in Psych from TESC (which I do), but also want to earn another Bachelors degree in another area, ie: Business, Philosophy, Religion, Criminal Justice, History, whatever. Could I transfer all my credits from TESC to Excelsior or Charter Oak and get the second degree? Or just get the second degree from TESC?

TESC says that a student must earn "30 additional credits for a second baccalaureate degree beyond the date all prior degrees were completed." Ok, that's all well and good, but what if I just do all my tests before I graduate?

It just makes no sense that I'd have to graduate first, then go back and take 30 more credits. So if any of you has any advice, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!!!
>>

It's just because that is the policy- some colleges have dual majors, but TESC doesn't. I looked into this a while back and decided that for an extra 30 credits I'd be almost finished with a masters!
So, maybe you could get the BA Psych and then do the "Bachelor to Master" option TESC offers. Once you get to 99 credits, you can enroll in the grad program (MS Management for example) and double dip your credits (count them toward both degrees). It would take careful planning with an adviser. I have a feeling those 21 credits would have to fit very specific places in your undergrad in order for this to work seamlessly, and of course they are more expensive than undergrad credits. It might still be worth it if you could transfer the 21 into a cheaper MBA/MA program that would take all of the credit and finish out that way. I don't know if it's possible, but it seems very efficient to me. In that case it's 99+21+15 (135) instead of 120+36 (156)
I asked TESC if I could earn a second degree there. They told me that it would be fine as long the second was VERY different from the first degree. The gal I talked to said that I would just have to pay another graduation fee.

I am toying with the idea of getting a BA in Liberal Arts in addition to my BS.
~Autumn

Master of Arts - Emergency and Disaster Management - Estimated Completion 2014
Bachelor of Science Human Services in Emergency Disaster Services - TESC- December 2009
Culinary Arts Certificate - Boise State University 2002

Education teaches a man to spell experience.Big Grin
I was toying with getting one in Business, Criminal Justice, Religion, or Philosophy. I can see how Business and Criminal Justice would be different enough for them to accept, but I don't know about the other two. I guess I'll just have to ask.

Thanks for the info!!
Jesse
HawkGuy Wrote:I was toying with getting one in Business, Criminal Justice, Religion, or Philosophy. I can see how Business and Criminal Justice would be different enough for them to accept, but I don't know about the other two. I guess I'll just have to ask.

Thanks for the info!!
>>

The Business is a BS, while Religion and Philosophy are in the BA. I think Criminal Justice is in the Health/Human Services. You won't have any trouble if you go with Business or Criminal Justice- but since Religion and Philosophy are in the BA Department (which includes Psychology) they will probably deny it.
Thank you for the info. I'll have to call them up and find out which ones will and won't be acceptable. Of course, I have to finish my main degree before worrying about the second Rolleyes
Jesse
cookderosa Wrote:>>

It's just because that is the policy- some colleges have dual majors, but TESC doesn't. I looked into this a while back and decided that for an extra 30 credits I'd be almost finished with a masters!
So, maybe you could get the BA Psych and then do the "Bachelor to Master" option TESC offers. Once you get to 99 credits, you can enroll in the grad program (MS Management for example) and double dip your credits (count them toward both degrees). It would take careful planning with an adviser. I have a feeling those 21 credits would have to fit very specific places in your undergrad in order for this to work seamlessly, and of course they are more expensive than undergrad credits. It might still be worth it if you could transfer the 21 into a cheaper MBA/MA program that would take all of the credit and finish out that way. I don't know if it's possible, but it seems very efficient to me. In that case it's 99+21+15 (135) instead of 120+36 (156)
I wish someone would have told me about this last year. Great Info and advice!
AAT, Electromechanics, Excelsior College 2007
BS, Political Science, Excelsior College 2008
MSSL, Strategic Leadership, Mountain State (currently enrolled) 2009

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Degrees and Middle East Countries laoshijeff 5 2,717 09-01-2018, 12:46 PM
Last Post: teacher2
Question Can I send CLEP/DSST scores for 2 Bachelor Degrees? elenlushk 3 1,793 08-16-2018, 11:07 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Intro + Degree advice, looking at TESU for multiple degrees, BSBA + BSAST coloradocale 14 4,114 08-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Last Post: coloradocale
  TESU MULTPLE DEGREES docmarvin 24 4,560 06-26-2018, 09:59 PM
Last Post: docmarvin
  Any spreadsheets for Associate's degrees? xjarhead1999 20 4,020 03-18-2018, 12:02 PM
Last Post: xjarhead1999
  Help In getting a Degree/Degrees former Navy Rustydroid 8 1,874 01-09-2018, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Dual Degree coryjunior19 3 1,463 12-12-2017, 02:38 PM
Last Post: RANSOMSOUL
  TESU - New Certificates/Degrees (IT)! bjcheung77 8 1,963 11-06-2017, 01:50 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  What big-3 degrees can be earned with just Shmoop.com courses? Pelican 2 2,877 11-05-2017, 01:42 AM
Last Post: Ideas
  Associate Degrees at TESU rlw74 5 1,772 10-20-2017, 01:18 PM
Last Post: rlw74