Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duke University's Fuqua School of Business MSQM:BA
(04-19-2020, 09:25 AM)ThatBankDude Wrote:
(04-18-2020, 06:25 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(04-18-2020, 02:42 AM)Stoic Wrote: In America we are all about brand. I remember asking a friend of mine who doesn't have a degree but at one point was accepted and attended a top university that he should place all of his credits into one of the big 3. TESU, I believe and he mentioned that he rather not have a degree than have to put that on his resume. That it looks better to be an entrepreneur with just a hs diploma and the background of a drop out than to have a degree from what it is basically a non branded institution.

For the VAST majority of people, and careers, a Bachelor's degree from an RA school is just fine, and SHOULD be on your resume.  There are maybe 3% of careers in VERY specific fields that need a branded degree.  Finance is one of them, and then only if you're looking at some very specific cities/roles/companies.

For the other 97% of people, just get a good cheap degree and start your career.  You'll be fine.  No one cares where you got your degree.  No one.
While no one will care where I get my degree from, I personally do. I understand the cost of the degree is more than most on this forum would want to pay but at the end of the day, it is my education.

You are also in finance, so you are not who I was addressing.  Stoic was saying that his friend said that a non-branded degree is not worth putting on your resume, which is about as far from the truth as you can get.  It's just simply not true.  A non-branded degree is, for probably 99.9% of people, worth more than no degree at all.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • ss20ts
I noticed you updated your signature to attend SMU, have you decided to not attend Duke?

If so, can I ask why?
(07-18-2020, 02:52 PM)HogwartsSchool Wrote: I noticed you updated your signature to attend SMU, have you decided to not attend Duke?

If so, can I ask why?

I corrected it. SMU came in with a strong offer but after discussion with my wife, we agreed Fuqua would be better for me.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
It has been a while since I have updated this thread, so here it is. On May 13, 2023 I walked across the stage in Cameron Indoor Stadium and officially became a Duke University graduate! Looking forward to life as a Duke Fuqua Alumni! If anyone has any questions about the program, please do not hesitate to reach out. Smile

Attached Files
.jpeg   IMG_2634.jpeg (Size: 212.5 KB / Downloads: 40)

[-] The following 3 users Like ThatBankDude's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, mr_peanutbutter, neilsf
(05-17-2023, 08:40 PM)ThatBankDude Wrote: It has been a while since I have updated this thread, so here it is. On May 13, 2023 I walked across the stage in Cameron Indoor Stadium and officially became a Duke University graduate! Looking forward to life as a Duke Fuqua Alumni! If anyone has any questions about the program, please do not hesitate to reach out. Smile

Congratulations on the accomplishment!  Graduating from Duke will bring a ton of networking opportunities through the Alumni network and open a ton of doors.
Amazing accomplishment.

Duke’s a cool school, but kinda gimmicky!
I remember years ago looking at the undergraduate, and they refused to accept college courses which were taken online. (This was just 3-4 years ago), but here they are! Offering a fully online Masters for $70,000! Lol. Then they say things like “become a double dukie, and earn your bachelors and masters at the same time.” That’s exactly what I want to be associated with, double poopy and the school of Farquat. lol
(08-13-2023, 11:36 AM)AlvinG Wrote: Amazing accomplishment.

I remember years ago looking at the undergraduate, and they refused to accept college courses which were taken online. (This was just 3-4 years ago), but here they are! Offering a fully online Masters for $70,000! Lol. Then they say things like “become a double dukie, and earn your bachelors and masters at the same time.” That’s exactly what I want to be associated with, double poopy and the school of Farquat. lol
I am not sure if you are complimenting the accomplishment or not. You state “Amazing accomplishment” but then go on to talk negatively about the university.

(08-13-2023, 04:18 PM)ThatBankDude Wrote:

I am not sure if you are complimenting the accomplishment or not. You state “Amazing accomplishment” but then go on to talk negatively about the university.

Having grown up somewhat close to Duke University, it's a prestigious school with a fantastic reputation. I'd be beyond proud of myself for accomplishing what you have. Congratulations! Even though I don't know you, I'm proud of you.
(08-13-2023, 04:18 PM)ThatBankDude Wrote:

Oh no! I’m definitely complimenting, it’s a crazy big achievement. I’m saying duke is epic, but gimmicky! Like, who in the world within the marketing department chose “Double Dukie.” That’s just insulting. They’re very prestigious, and everyone knows Duke and what it means. Hands down a top school, and you should be extremely proud of your self.

Have you had further great success within using the masters to land a prestigious position or possibly a raise in pay/promotion?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 226 Today, 12:40 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 15 1,057 Yesterday, 09:18 AM
Last Post: PaperAssistant
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 269 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 880 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,453 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 546 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,843 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Hellenic American University MBA: Overview of $3K RA MBA PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 90 13,970 03-06-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: lidel
  Eastern Illinois University. wildebeest 42 6,362 03-04-2024, 09:38 PM
  My Duke Student Blog Post ThatBankDude 1 227 03-04-2024, 06:25 PM