Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duke University's Fuqua School of Business MSQM:BA
I wanted to give some information regarding Duke University's Fuqua School of Business and the Master of Science in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics that they offer online. One of my connections went to the same undergraduate University as I did (East Central University) and then pursued his MBA at Duke. He is currently the President and CEO of US Polo Assn. Global Licensing Inc. Through our conversation I knew I was going to apply to this program.

I applied to the program in late February after getting all of my application documents (LOR, transcripts, essays, etc.) and I heard back in late March. The program is expensive and it is not for those wanting a fast, cheap, check-the-box type degree. It is a degree from one of the Top 15 business schools in the United States and a Top 25 in the world.

The purpose of this post is to essentially create a "log" of my journey through the program for others.

By putting my deposit down, I turned down an admissions offer from Johns Hopkins University Carey Business School.
.jpg   Screenshot_20200326-105956_Office Mobile.jpg (Size: 196.74 KB / Downloads: 59)
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
[-] The following 2 users Like ThatBankDude's post:
  • Marcus Aurelius, ROYISAGIRL
(04-07-2020, 10:20 PM)ThatBankDude Wrote: I wanted to give some information regarding Duke University's Fuqua School of Business and the Master of Science in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics that they offer online. One of my connections went to the same undergraduate University as I did (East Central University) and then pursued his MBA at Duke. He is currently the President and CEO of US Polo Assn. Global Licensing Inc. Through our conversation I knew I was going to apply to this program.

I applied to the program in late February after getting all of my application documents (LOR, transcripts, essays, etc.) and I heard back in late March. The program is expensive and it is not for those wanting a fast, cheap, check-the-box type degree. It is a degree from one of the Top 15 business schools in the United States and a Top 25 in the world.

The purpose of this post is to essentially create a "log" of my journey through the program for others.

By putting my deposit down, I turned down an admissions offer from Johns Hopkins University Carey Business School.

What' the total cost for the program? Any scholarships or financial aid for graduate students?
(04-07-2020, 11:05 PM)Stoic Wrote:
(04-07-2020, 10:20 PM)ThatBankDude Wrote: I wanted to give some information regarding Duke University's Fuqua School of Business and the Master of Science in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics that they offer online. One of my connections went to the same undergraduate University as I did (East Central University) and then pursued his MBA at Duke. He is currently the President and CEO of US Polo Assn. Global Licensing Inc. Through our conversation I knew I was going to apply to this program.

What' the total cost for the program? Any scholarships or financial aid for graduate students?
Total cost is $66,000. Merit based scholarships are available as well as Federal and Private loans.

(04-08-2020, 06:13 AM)ThatBankDude Wrote:

Total cost is $66,000. Merit based scholarships are available as well as Federal and Private loans.
 66k on a business degree is one hell of a commitment.
(04-08-2020, 06:54 AM)Stoic Wrote:

I agree. It is definitely not for those looking for cheap. I think it is priced in line with NYU Stern and their MSQM degree which is $67,000. The immersion experiences and access to their CMC, alumni, etc. will be awesome. The networking I have already been able to do since updating my LinkedIn has been incredible. The Fuqua community has been very welcoming with many offering to assist me in moving into a position with a F500 or F100 company.

(04-08-2020, 07:07 AM)ThatBankDude Wrote:
(04-08-2020, 06:54 AM)Stoic Wrote:

I agree. It is definitely not for those looking for cheap. I think it is priced in line with NYU Stern and their MSQM degree which is $67,000. The immersion experiences and access to their CMC, alumni, etc. will be awesome. The networking I have already been able to do since updating my LinkedIn has been incredible. The Fuqua community has been very welcoming with many offering to assist me in moving into a position with a F500 or F100 company.
Sounds awesome. Good luck.
Hmm, I just looked at the cost of the degree. That's out of my range, in fact, out of my range of Doctorate/Ph.D. programs as well, I think the only one close to that I'm looking at is the NCU Doctorates such as their DBA, I'll only go into the program if I can get the 60K scholarship (almost full-ride I think)...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
In America we are all about brand. I remember asking a friend of mine who doesn't have a degree but at one point was accepted and attended a top university that he should place all of his credits into one of the big 3. TESU, I believe and he mentioned that he rather not have a degree than have to put that on his resume. That it looks better to be an entrepreneur with just a hs diploma and the background of a drop out than to have a degree from what it is basically a non branded institution.

I agree with him to be honest at times. I'm getting a bachelors from a tier 4 school through their competency program and unless I get a masters from the Harvard Extension or a top university in Europe, I won't put it in my resume or linked in. Because i dont feel proud of it. Is not taking any effort for me and its all online based where I don't even know my classmates.

So what I mean is that in a way a 50K+ is expensive, but if you got a legit plan to make that work for you, then is better than a 10k master from a crappy brand or tier 4 university in Missouri that no one ever heard of. Unless you're a government employee  or in the military and you're just using this for ranking within the organization. Duke is likely to be a meaningful experience, shame is so expensive and I'm beyond the work at a corporate office period in my life. On another point, those masters from the UK look interesting, but i would to move there and to an Airbnb for a few months and hang out at the campus and stuff and take photos and attend lectures to make it meaningful.
(04-18-2020, 02:42 AM)Stoic Wrote: In America we are all about brand. I remember asking a friend of mine who doesn't have a degree but at one point was accepted and attended a top university that he should place all of his credits into one of the big 3. TESU, I believe and he mentioned that he rather not have a degree than have to put that on his resume. That it looks better to be an entrepreneur with just a hs diploma and the background of a drop out than to have a degree from what it is basically a non branded institution.

For the VAST majority of people, and careers, a Bachelor's degree from an RA school is just fine, and SHOULD be on your resume.  There are maybe 3% of careers in VERY specific fields that need a branded degree.  Finance is one of them, and then only if you're looking at some very specific cities/roles/companies.

For the other 97% of people, just get a good cheap degree and start your career.  You'll be fine.  No one cares where you got your degree.  No one.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • jsd, OldManOfTheSea, ss20ts
(04-18-2020, 06:25 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(04-18-2020, 02:42 AM)Stoic Wrote: In America we are all about brand. I remember asking a friend of mine who doesn't have a degree but at one point was accepted and attended a top university that he should place all of his credits into one of the big 3. TESU, I believe and he mentioned that he rather not have a degree than have to put that on his resume. That it looks better to be an entrepreneur with just a hs diploma and the background of a drop out than to have a degree from what it is basically a non branded institution.

For the VAST majority of people, and careers, a Bachelor's degree from an RA school is just fine, and SHOULD be on your resume.  There are maybe 3% of careers in VERY specific fields that need a branded degree.  Finance is one of them, and then only if you're looking at some very specific cities/roles/companies.

For the other 97% of people, just get a good cheap degree and start your career.  You'll be fine.  No one cares where you got your degree.  No one.
While no one will care where I get my degree from, I personally do. I understand the cost of the degree is more than most on this forum would want to pay but at the end of the day, it is my education.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 248 Yesterday, 12:40 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 15 1,075 03-27-2024, 09:18 AM
Last Post: PaperAssistant
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 279 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 887 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,461 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 550 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,850 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Hellenic American University MBA: Overview of $3K RA MBA PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 90 13,980 03-06-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: lidel
  Eastern Illinois University. wildebeest 42 6,363 03-04-2024, 09:38 PM
  My Duke Student Blog Post ThatBankDude 1 227 03-04-2024, 06:25 PM