Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EC/COSC - will they take NA credits?
yeah WGU definitely accepted ITT Tech folks, but I think they also accept NA in general while intentionally not advertising that much.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I took Business Ethics through Penn Foster and COSC accepted that as college credit and applied it to the general education requirement for an ethics course.
(04-05-2019, 04:03 PM)GreggT67 Wrote: I took Business Ethics through Penn Foster and COSC accepted that as college credit and applied it to the general education requirement for an ethics course.

They didn't take it because it was an NA school, they took it because it's an ACE-recommended course.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa, jsd
(04-05-2019, 05:10 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(04-05-2019, 04:03 PM)GreggT67 Wrote: I took Business Ethics through Penn Foster and COSC accepted that as college credit and applied it to the general education requirement for an ethics course.

They didn't take it because it was an NA school, they took it because it's an ACE-recommended course.

Yeah, I think the Penn Foster catalog is more of an exception since so many are ACE evaluated. EC is open about taking ACE evaluated courses.
(04-03-2019, 06:36 PM)Merlin Wrote: I know you're only asking about EC & COSC, but it looks like WGU will award transfer credit from any institutions that are recognized as nationally or regionally accredited by the U.S. Department of Education.

I knew WGU did, but it's only helpful if you want one of their degrees.  If you want a BALS, you're out of luck.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-04-2019, 01:29 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(04-03-2019, 06:36 PM)Merlin Wrote: I know you're only asking about EC & COSC, but it looks like WGU will award transfer credit from any institutions that are recognized as nationally or regionally accredited by the U.S. Department of Education.

I knew WGU did, but it's only helpful if you want one of their degrees.  If you want a BALS, you're out of luck.

True enough. But if you have NA credits and want to RA degree, you don't have a lot of options. For someone with a significant amount of NA credits, I imagine that it may be better to pursue a BSBM from WGU rather than start over on a BALS from EC/COSC/TESU. But that obviously depends a lot on the type of NA credits they have.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(06-04-2019, 02:09 AM)Merlin Wrote:
(06-04-2019, 01:29 AM)dfrecore Wrote:

True enough. But if you have NA credits and want to RA degree, you don't have a lot of options. For someone with a significant amount of NA credits, I imagine that it may be better to pursue a BSBM from WGU rather than start over on a BALS from EC/COSC/TESU. But that obviously depends a lot on the type of NA credits they have.

If you have a load of NA credits and they're not fitting into one of the degrees at WGU, then you're probably much better off starting from scratch somewhere else.  There's no point trying to "make" your credits fit where they won't.  And there's no point getting a degree you don't want if you already know you can get something else for the same price, even if you have to start over.
(06-04-2019, 07:19 PM)dfrecore Wrote: If you have a load of NA credits and they're not fitting into one of the degrees at WGU, then you're probably much better off starting from scratch somewhere else.  There's no point trying to "make" your credits fit where they won't.  And there's no point getting a degree you don't want if you already know you can get something else for the same price, even if you have to start over.

I mostly agree with that, but it also depends on how many credits we're talking about. In my opinion, if you've earned more than 60 credits, it may be worthwhile to just finish the NA degree (whether that is at the original school or another NA college) rather than having to start over from scratch. But then again, I lost 10 credits and a couple converted from UL to LL when I was getting my degree and I didn't take it that well. But wasting time is one of my hot buttons... my biggest one in fact.

Of course, I also assume that if you're that far down the rabbit hole, the NA vs RA argument probably doesn't matter too much.

Plus one can still potentially use an NA degree to get into some RA masters programs.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(06-04-2019, 07:19 PM)dfrecore Wrote: If you have a load of NA credits and they're not fitting into one of the degrees at WGU, then you're probably much better off starting from scratch somewhere else.  There's no point trying to "make" your credits fit where they won't.  And there's no point getting a degree you don't want if you already know you can get something else for the same price, even if you have to start over.

Offhand I would think this is not good advice.  Excelsior definitely takes courses accredited under the Department of Education umbrella.  This is a relatively newer policy (within last 10 years?).  You could also try APU/AMU and Liberty.  There are likely dozens, if not hundreds more.  The cost in application fees is low compared to the time and money lost from walking away from a partial degree.
(06-05-2019, 08:43 AM)Old Guy Wrote: Offhand I would think this is not good advice.  Excelsior definitely takes courses accredited under the Department of Education umbrella.  This is a relatively newer policy (within last 10 years?).  You could also try APU/AMU and Liberty.  There are likely dozens, if not hundreds more.  The cost in application fees is low compared to the time and money lost from walking away from a partial degree.

You have to do the math for each option. Making up 60 credits with alternative credit will cost something less than $2000, plus a few months time. If the alternative is paying high tuition (or taking big loans) at an NA school or getting a degree you don't want, it could easily be more attractive. If, on the hand, you can find a path to the degree you want, use the NA credits, and not spend too much, sure you would obviously do it.

We've seen a lot of people through here pulling their hair trying to use every single old credit they have, when a couple of months and a few hundred dollars would have replaced those old units and had them on their way at one of the Big3.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PUG IT transfer credits BritStudent 2 247 02-22-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Schools that accept ACE credits and allow 90cr in transfer bjcheung77 87 40,880 01-30-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: inor
  TAMUC Org Leadership-six UL credits needed StoicJ 20 2,571 12-13-2023, 09:11 PM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  The official guide to courses from the Big Three: COSC, TESU, & Excelsior jsh1138 25 39,589 10-22-2023, 06:02 PM
Last Post: jch
  List of RA brick and mortar schools that accept 75% of credits from SDC, Sophia, SL ausernameisneeded 19 1,945 09-30-2023, 02:30 PM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  Does CUNY SPS allow transfer credits after enrollment? MyRightHandIsBi 11 963 09-13-2023, 08:54 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  SNHU Transfer New Credits after Enrollment - Can or Can't? berlinerd 3 1,103 08-17-2023, 11:54 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Does Ana G. Mendez University accept ACE credits ande 7 712 07-11-2023, 02:07 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  (Possibly) cheapest credits for TESU Comp Sci degree rachel83az 11 3,153 01-29-2023, 10:53 PM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  TEL Learning - your new best friend (cheap RA credits) dfrecore 107 19,037 10-17-2022, 12:51 PM
Last Post: CanICode