Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EC......UGH
So am already enrolled at EC. Registered and paid for my courses that start next month. Today my advisor calls me to ask what the deal is with me at CSU. I'm like what do you mean. She's says are you a student there now. Yup. Have been since February. This is on my transcript and the admissions rep knew I was enrolled and which courses I was taking. Now all of a sudden this is a problem. I don't have any information from the advisor except that she will get back to me. Now there's a problem because EC may - may - be a second degree. I don't know which one I will finish first. They're not the same discipline. EC may want me to complete an additional 30 credits of coursework...new coursework. Doesn't matter if the previous credits weren't used at CSU. Why not tell me this before I go through the hassle of applying, paying to apply, pay for transcripts, and enroll? Oh and I added a class at CSU to transfer specifically to my EC degree. UGH. How's your Friday?  Dodgy
(05-29-2020, 04:58 PM)ss20ts Wrote: So am already enrolled at EC. Registered and paid for my courses that start next month. Today my advisor calls me to ask what the deal is with me at CSU. I'm like what do you mean. She's says are you a student there now. Yup. Have been since February. This is on my transcript and the admissions rep knew I was enrolled and which courses I was taking. Now all of a sudden this is a problem. I don't have any information from the advisor except that she will get back to me. Now there's a problem because EC may - may - be a second degree. I don't know which one I will finish first. They're not the same discipline. EC may want me to complete an additional 30 credits of coursework...new coursework. Doesn't matter if the previous credits weren't used at CSU. Why not tell me this before I go through the hassle of applying, paying to apply, pay for transcripts, and enroll? Oh and I added a class at CSU to transfer specifically to my EC degree. UGH. How's your Friday?  Dodgy

I'm pretty surprised they didn't flag this earlier. Most schools don't allow co-enrollment at another college. Some will insist that you not only complete the current term but will verify you're no longer matriculated at the previous school before allowing you to start classes at their school. I am pretty sure CSU would also balk at this if they knew you have since enrolled at EC as well.

It doesn't matter if the two degree programs are unrelated and/or if the coursework between the two doesn't overlap. I believe it violates some title IV rules or accreditation requirements or something like that since I see that rule everywhere. Not to mention, even if your coursework doesn't overlap now (or doesn't repeat work you've done elsewhere) it could in the future.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • GizmoJack, ss20ts
This all makes sense! None of this was ever explained to me. I didn't think it would be a problem because I was enrolled at 2 community colleges at the same time. I received financial aid aka student loans for one school and paid out of pocket for the other. I graduated different semesters with degrees in 2 completely different disciplines. Since they were both SUNY schools that may have been why it wasn't an issue maybe. SUNY has a great deal of reciprocity with each other since they're run by the state of NY. Thank you for the explanation! I still have no idea how this wasn't flagged during admissions when my transcripts were submitted and I emailed them a list of the classes I am enrolled in at CSU.
(05-30-2020, 06:02 PM)ss20ts Wrote: This all makes sense! None of this was ever explained to me. I didn't think it would be a problem because I was enrolled at 2 community colleges at the same time. I received financial aid aka student loans for one school and paid out of pocket for the other. I graduated different semesters with degrees in 2 completely different disciplines. Since they were both SUNY schools that may have been why it wasn't an issue maybe. SUNY has a great deal of reciprocity with each other since they're run by the state of NY. Thank you for the explanation! I still have no idea how this wasn't flagged during admissions when my transcripts were submitted and I emailed them a list of the classes I am enrolled in at CSU.

I know it is a policy from the government you can't receive aid from two schools at the same time. I ran into a situation myself where my CC courses end two days after my University course term started. Because of this two day overlap I couldn't use aid at both schools. So I know it is a frustrating place to be in.

I also know it is pretty much national polciy at all schools you cant earn the same degree at once at two schools. For example a business degree from two schools at the same time.

However, some shools don't care if you enrolled at two schools at once. As long as you aren't using aid for both and are studying two different majors, they might not care. This is what happened with you for the CC.

Each school has their own policies though so if you weren't following ECs policies they should have told you that from the start.

Actually I'm pretty sure can be enrolled in two schools at once. The issue is you can only be a degree seeking sutdent at one school at a time.

I know I went to a CC and people all the time were enrolled students at both the CC and nearby university at the same time. The thing is they weren't degree seeking at the CC.

Generally you cant be degree seeking at two schools. But you can be taking classes at two schools just one of them as guest or non degree student. Maybe change your status at one of the schools to non degree seeking or guest student for now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • TwinMom
(05-29-2020, 04:58 PM)ss20ts Wrote: So am already enrolled at EC. Registered and paid for my courses that start next month. Today my advisor calls me to ask what the deal is with me at CSU. I'm like what do you mean. She's says are you a student there now. Yup. Have been since February. This is on my transcript and the admissions rep knew I was enrolled and which courses I was taking. Now all of a sudden this is a problem. I don't have any information from the advisor except that she will get back to me. Now there's a problem because EC may - may - be a second degree. I don't know which one I will finish first. They're not the same discipline. EC may want me to complete an additional 30 credits of coursework...new coursework. Doesn't matter if the previous credits weren't used at CSU. Why not tell me this before I go through the hassle of applying, paying to apply, pay for transcripts, and enroll? Oh and I added a class at CSU to transfer specifically to my EC degree. UGH. How's your Friday?  Dodgy
I was curious. Do you have a follow up?
Composition Modular- 52 (3 cr)
Analyzing & Interpreting Literature 52 (6 cr)
College Composition- 50 (6 cr)
(08-11-2020, 08:10 PM)mrskitty Wrote:

What info were you looking for?
(08-12-2020, 10:17 AM)ss20ts Wrote:

I’m in the same boat. Got my unofficial review, about to enroll, but I’m still enrolled at my last school. I asked the person I’ve been coordinating with at EC. Haven’t heard back yet. Did you change your status at the other school?
(08-12-2020, 03:26 PM)mrskitty Wrote:

I’m in the same boat. Got my unofficial review, about to enroll, but I’m still enrolled at my last school. I asked the person I’ve been coordinating with at EC. Haven’t heard back yet. Did you change your status at the other school?

Nope. I did leave CSU Global, but I went to UMPI. EC is not very cooperative at all. The advisors take FOREVER to respond to phone calls and emails. It's always at least a week and a half and that's the fastest I've ever had a response.
(08-12-2020, 09:58 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

Nope. I did leave CSU Global, but I went to UMPI. EC is not very cooperative at all. The advisors take FOREVER to respond to phone calls and emails. It's always at least a week and a half and that's the fastest I've ever had a response.
Bummer. Now I’m nervous about enrolling.
(08-13-2020, 12:51 AM)mrskitty Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 09:58 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(08-11-2020, 08:10 PM)mrskitty Wrote: I was curious. Do you have a follow up?

Bummer. Now I’m nervous about enrolling.

If speed is something you want from advisement, you may have a hard time with it there. I was not impressed with how long they take to do everything. I was actually enrolled and put the brakes on everything once they came back with you need to not only complete the degree requirements, but you need an additional 30 credits of upper level courses. It took almost 3 weeks to get that info after I asked again. I have no idea how this wasn't caught during admissions! I find their policies and timeliness very off putting, but it may work for you. I'm glad it worked out this way though because I would have completed a degree I didn't want. It was just the fast and easiest one to finish. It's not the degree I actually want. UMPI has the degree I actually want and I start the end of the month.