Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EC is now officially EU (08/01/2022)
(08-01-2022, 04:52 PM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote:
(08-01-2022, 04:38 PM)SweetSecret Wrote: What was the state law that required the change?

These changes to regulations in January have allowed several College to University name changes in New York.
I meant more digging into specifics. It seems like one post makes it sound like they had to change their name from college to University well another seems the opposite. Either way what was the thinking behind any legislative change? i.e. is the government wanting schools with over a certain amount of programs to be listed as universities to attract more students?
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
(08-03-2022, 12:46 PM)SweetSecret Wrote:
(08-01-2022, 04:52 PM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote:
(08-01-2022, 04:38 PM)SweetSecret Wrote: What was the state law that required the change?

These changes to regulations in January have allowed several College to University name changes in New York.
I meant more digging into specifics. It seems like one post makes it sound like they had to change their name from college to University well another seems the opposite. Either way what was the thinking behind any legislative change? i.e. is the government wanting schools with over a certain amount of programs to be listed as universities to attract more students?

They did not have to change the name to university. They were not legally allowed to be called a university prior to the state legislature changing the law. If you read the link Jonathan provided, it talks about what specifically changed and why. Schools wanted the change so they could be called universities. Across the US and internationally, the name university means much more than college. Typically universities have graduate programs. Colleges don't. 

One thing I am seeing at the small private liberal arts colleges is that some are now offering master's degrees. One school now has 3 master's whereas prior to this change in the law, they had 1. They are also looking to add more in the future. They could change their name now to university instead of college. They haven't yet, but time will tell. Other schools locally are in the process of changing to universities. This is a good thing!
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • allvia, rachel83az
Thank you for reporting this! Our webmaster has updated the name of this subboard to reflect this!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ashkir's post:
  • allvia
I think about European Union, when I read EU Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrPanda's post:
  • jsd
(08-15-2022, 02:07 PM)MrPanda Wrote: I think about European Union, when I read EU Big Grin

Same.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210