Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EC: new capstone course requirement for EC Liberal Arts BA's starting 01st July 2010
I don't know if this is widely known or not but this could obviously have additional costs implications for some students. So, for your information and quoted verbatim from my unofficial Excelsior College credits summary, please note the following:

"All students enrolling in a Liberal Arts baccalaureate level degree on or after July 1, 2010, will be required to complete a Capstone course. The Capstone course is a 3 credit course which must be completed at Excelsior College and will be approved by the student's academic advisor near the culmination of their Liberal Arts degree"

W.
Yikes!

Sound like this could apply to a lot of us. Thanks for sharing. We'll have to learn more about it.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
A lot of specific majors at EC and TESC already require a capstone course, and COSC already requires a capstone for all their degrees, too. I sorta thought something like this would happen after COSC started a capstone requirement and TESC upped their upper-level requirement. Things are getting a bit less lenient overall.

I don't think it's all that bad, although no one will be able to 100% test out of a degree, we're only talking about one online or distance-learning class, which is still amazing. A 3-credit residency is still so much better than a 30 (or more) credit residency. You could still test out of and transfer 116 credits into a degree (subtracting info lit which barely qualifies as a course anyway). The Big Three will still be easier to work with alternative credit than 3000 other schools in the country.
[SIZE="6"]~~ Alissa~~[/SIZE]
[size="4"]"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right." - - Henry Ford[/size]
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="2"]DONE:
BS Liberal Studies, Excelsior College May 2009
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Current website favorite:
http://www.careeronestop.org/
Ruh roh! I do not like this at all!

I am going for a BS w/ math major. Is this going to apply to me? If so, I might need to enroll soon! Those EC courses ain't cheap, and I'd like to avoid doing a single one of them.

$965.00 plus textbooks and materials. Noooo!

On the online undergraduate application, there is no option for Bachelor of Science in Liberal Arts with a major in something other than Criminal Justice. What's up with that?
wb.john Wrote:.....On the online undergraduate application, there is no option for Bachelor of Science in Liberal Arts with a major in something other than Criminal Justice. What's up with that?

I was confused by this, too. Here is an explanation:

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...#post37119

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

I guess I will have to enroll sooner than later...and before July 1
Set yourself goals, not limitations
I went ahead and sent in my application. This means that I have to take the GRE next April in order to avoid the $440 annual fee. Maybe this will end up helping me out with motivation.
WeAintGotNoBadges Wrote:I don't know if this is widely known or not but this could obviously have additional costs implications for some students. So, for your information and quoted verbatim from my unofficial Excelsior College credits summary, please note the following:

"All students enrolling in a Liberal Arts baccalaureate level degree on or after July 1, 2010, will be required to complete a Capstone course. The Capstone course is a 3 credit course which must be completed at Excelsior College and will be approved by the student's academic advisor near the culmination of their Liberal Arts degree"

W.

I have not found anything on their website, yet, that explains the possibility of this new policy, or who it will apply to, and how it will be applied. Maybe they will publish a new Liberal Arts catalog in June which could give more information.

I did find this document through Google:

https://www.excelsior.edu/Excelsior_Coll...elsior.pdf

I also found new(?) capstone courses listed for Liberal Arts – Humanities, Social Science, History, and Natural Science. There are also capstone courses listed for Nursing, Business, Communications, Criminal Justice, Health Sciences, and Technology.

If anyone finds more information about this policy for Liberal Arts, please share it here. Thanks.

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

thanks for heads up. i'll re-enroll in june then. i'm about 30 credits short.
completed: A.A.S. (Computer Tech.) from Excelsior 03-19-10
completed: B.S.L.S. (History) from excelsior 02-18-11
B&M: 58 credits
excelsior courses: [10 credits] 09-08-09 Info Lit. (P); 09-08-09 Historiography (A); 11-02-09 US Foreign Affairs since 1898 (A); 07-06-10 Middle East (B);
CLEP: [30 credits] 09-25-09 US History I (69); 11-06-09 US History II (66); 11-06-09 A&I Lit (73); 02-19-10 West. Civ II (70); 03-30-10 West. Civ I (72); 04-16-10 Intro. Edu Psych (70);
.Clep: 06-18-10 Principles of Marketing (73); 12-09-10 Social Sci. & History (74);
ECE: [12 credits] 05-01-10 Abnormal Psychology (B); 05-04-10 Psych. of A&A (A); 05-15-10 Gerontology ©; 06-05-10 World Population (A);
DSST: [12 credits] 07-17-10 Civil War & Recon (63); 08-14-10 Substance Abuse (444); 09-18-10 Vietnam War (66); 10-02-10 R&F Soviet Union (62);
Total: 122 credits
scarlet_bandit Wrote:thanks for heads up. i'll re-enroll in june then. i'm about 30 credits short.

Scarlet Bandit, be very careful with this thought I am about to share because you could end up in a worse situation.

If I remember correctly, Historiography is the capstone course for the History Major. If this is true and since you have taken it already, consider checking into whether the new capstone requirement would even apply to you. In other words, you may have already met it. (We still do not know what the policy is or how it works.)

Again, please be very careful about this. I don't want you to be told you are okay now and then later that you still need a capstone course!

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,134 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Capstone Anxiety Iamtehking 9 4,339 09-18-2018, 06:22 AM
Last Post: rlw74
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,611 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  July 2018 current fees at the Big 3 dfrecore 70 12,946 09-06-2018, 08:59 PM
Last Post: KawJa
  BUS-421 - Capstone - Final Project Submitted! Gloddy 16 4,753 08-05-2018, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Gloddy
  Liberal Studies General Coursework won't be filled by BUS or CIS courses? posabsolute 5 1,742 08-01-2018, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Lewis.Yim
  TESU gen. ed. algebra requirement alternatives? kietro 5 1,720 07-27-2018, 09:58 AM
Last Post: rckola911
  TESU LIberal Studies, what qualifies jeffreymb 9 2,262 07-26-2018, 01:35 PM
Last Post: rlw74
  TESU LIB-495 Capstone Ideas JanuarySunshine 1 1,676 07-21-2018, 11:42 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Enrolled in the Business Capstone course for the July Term. Anybody else? camjenks 25 4,997 07-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: keokat