Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EC online courses
I was wondering how many people have taken actual EC courses online since everyone mostly talks about the tests since that is what we are here for. What have you taken and what how many have you taken at the same time without feeling stressed by the workload?

The reason I ask is that I am trying to figure out if it is feasible to take my last 12 credits all at once during the 15 week semester starting in May or if I should take 6 in May and 6 in September. The 4 classes I need to take are Managerial Accounting, Operations Management, any UL business elective and Business Policy and Strat. I have to take the Info Lit too but I am not really counting that as it shouldn't take more than an afternoon.

This is a matter of financial aid and having to take 12 credits of EC online classes to qualify for the special partner pricing so while I know some of these could be completed elsewhere that isn't what I want to do.

So does this seem possible / smart to try and be done in or before August or does taking 12 credit hours while working sound like a bad idea? I just haven't taken any online courses so I don't know what to expect and am looking for opinions.
[SIZE=2]Goal: Excelsior BSGB 61 of 121 credits earned to date
I'm halfway there! (Whoa oh, living on a prayer)
21 transfered credits
6 more from AP English (4)
EC: Info Lit (P in 2 hours)
Clep: Educational Psych (69) Management (70) American Gov (53) A&I Lit (74) Algebra (52) Marketing (72)
DSST: Intro Comp (68) MIS (67) Here's Health (66) Supervision (60)

[/SIZE]
Others can answer this better BUT I did take a few CD ROM courses and a friend took a few online classes. I can say that... It's totally doable if you delve into it. You will need to write (in APA) style. IF you haven't done it, it does take a bit of acclamation but in the end it is worth it. Get an APA guide (not the big black APA bible- trust me you will save your sanity.) From what I've deduced EC doesn't expect perfection, but they do appreciate a concerted effort. As far as the questions... They get rather out of pocket in asking them. On more than one occasion I've been left to scratch my head and wonder "what in the hell are these people asking?..And just how high were they when they wrote it?" My advise is; the instructors are helpful. Just ask them to explain to you (in english) what they want- They'll oblige.

Make sure you have the time to dedicate to it and you shouldn't have problems. If I had the funds I'd have taken more classes as opposed to testing out. Just don't fall behind.
P.S. IF you decide on this option register early because the courses DO sell out. Good Luck!
i took both online and cd rom courses, i went full time before they could get federal aid. It is very doable but i do recommend cd rom courses if you have self discipline, two test and two papers over 15 weeks. with the online courses there are a little more work, you have the two papers and two test along with discussion questions (these killed my grades.) online courses the deadlines are less flexible as where online courses you can turn everything in the last or first week.
AAT, Electromechanics, Excelsior College 2007
BS, Political Science, Excelsior College 2008
MSSL, Strategic Leadership, Mountain State (currently enrolled) 2009
I don't think any of these classes have the option of being CD Rom classes unless they are listed someplace other than the regular course catalog. I think I will end up splitting them up but I'm still not sure. I like the idea of being able to do things at my own pace but I am ok with discussion boards too.

I'll be completely done with all my tests as far as CLEP and DSST before I start my classes. May is going to be a busy month for me so I think only taking the 2 courses would be better.
21 transfered credits
Clep: Educational Psych (69) Management (70) American Gov (53) A&I Lit (74) Algebra (52) Marketing (72)

[/SIZE]
Can someone give more information regarding the discussion board or weekly assignments for EC's online courses? I travel for work frequently and can be away from reliable internet access for 6-7 days at a time. (Yes there are places in the world without Internet access. I was surprised to learn that as well). I am usually able to send and receive emails every 2-3 days, but I'm assuming that would not work for the purpose of these discussions....?
Joe

Excelsior BSB Aug 21, 2009
Joe,

The courseware system is similar to Blackboard -- all self-contained. When you login to My EC, you'll have a link to any online classes on the right side of the screen. Once you click the link, you're in the online "classroom."

There are several sections within each classroom: the lessons (which include the "inbox" for assignment submission,) the in-class messaging system, the discussion boards, and a gradebook.

I don't think I was ever able to take care of EC online coursework through email, although your instructor may be understanding if you discuss your situation with him or her up-front. No guarantee, though.
BS Literature in English cum laude, Excelsior College
currently pursuing K-8 MAT, University of Alaska Southeast (42/51).

IC works! Credits by exam to date: 63

CLEP: A&I Lit (72), Am Gov (69), Biology (58), Intro to Ed Psych (73), Intro Psych (77), Intro Soc (72), US History I (69)
DSST: Astronomy (65), Civil War (63), Intro Computing (463), Environment & Humanity (70), Foundations of Ed (68), USSR (54)
GRE: Literature in English (60th percentile / 18 cr)

On Deck: classroom research & instructional design
Thank you Cinderly,

I'm sorry for hijacking this thread.

Does anyone know if all of the business prerequisites need to be done before starting the Business Policy course?
Joe

Excelsior BSB Aug 21, 2009
They won't approve you for the course unless all or almost all are complete. If you explain yourself a little or have like 1 requirement left you are finishing up they will usually go ahead and let you do it.

So short answer: Yes but everything is negotible.
21 transfered credits

[/SIZE]
At one point I was taking 3 on-line courses at once with EC, 2 IT courses and then the Business Policy course, and I honestly felt stressed out to the point that I elected to sacrifice my BP grade to concentrate on the other 2 classes due to them being more relevant to my major. Ended up with 2 A's and a C in BP. I was working full-time as well so your situation may be different. I'll tell ya though, my personal experience with the Excelsior courses was that if you put forth a decent effort most of the teachers won't let you fail. They tend to grade easy, especially your final projects. That was one of the knocks that I had with EC that ultimately lead to me finishing at TESC.
I m edumakated thanx to distunce lerning.

MEd, Texas A&M University, 2018
MBA, University of North Dakota, 2014
MS, University of Illinois Springfield, 2010
BSBA, Thomas Edison State University, 2008
AS / AAS, Tidewater Community College, 2004

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,099 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,441 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,084 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  TESU BALS 2018 - All Online seaweedhead 5 2,904 08-23-2018, 06:18 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  TESU September Graduation: Adding extra courses to transcript by latest 08/31/2018? Nightmoves5 7 2,075 08-19-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Liberal Studies General Coursework won't be filled by BUS or CIS courses? posabsolute 5 1,731 08-01-2018, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Lewis.Yim
  CIS vs COS courses for a BALS concentration in CS at TESU jeffreymb 1 1,231 07-25-2018, 10:37 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  TESU Psychology courses & grad school prospects. advancedmemetics 5 1,729 07-06-2018, 11:35 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Two More UL Courses and Capstone MrBossmanJr 17 3,534 06-27-2018, 08:13 AM
Last Post: MrBossmanJr
  URGENT HELP NEEDED! Survey on Online Digital Learning due by 23 June for Capstone! Nightmoves5 6 1,793 06-21-2018, 06:49 PM
Last Post: fork