Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ECE's and TECEP's
I checked previous posts and I didn't see anything on this or I found contradictory info so I need to ask this question for confirmation. I just got off the phone w/Excelsior and they said to get an A for any of their ECE's, I would need to answer just about all the questions on the test correctly. For a B, I would need to answer approximately 85% of the questions correctly. On another post, I noticed someone stated they received an "A" by answering 116 out of 160 which contradicts what I was told. Many of you have experience in this area, could you please give me a general idea of grading. Also, when I called Pearson Vue, they can't (or won't) give me an idea how far out the test will be from when I call them until I have a code from Excelsior stating I registered for the course. I'm just asking generally how long (once again, just a general idea, ballpark) from when I call Pearson Vue would I have to wait to schedule an exam. I'd just like to know for study purposes. TESC said I would need to schedule at least 1 month out if not 2 just to make sure I could get in. So, basically, could a few of the "experts" give me some insight into this very secretive and delicate operation? You can answer covertly if you must. Thank you, I appreciate any info.
Hi Gary,

I'm not an expert, but hopefully the following will help...
Quote:I just got off the phone w/Excelsior and they said to get an A for any of their ECE's, I would need to answer just about all the questions on the test correctly.For a B, I would need to answer approximately 85% of the questions correctly. On another post, I noticed someone stated they received an "A" by answering 116 out of 160 which contradicts what I was told.
According to page 20 of the Student Guide and Assessment Catalog under Excelsior College Examinations, it states the following: Scores are based on ability level as defined in the item response theory (IRT) method of examination development and scoring, rather than simply on your total number of correct answers. I think there was another thread on the forum that discussed how ECE actually does come up with the scoring but I can't recall the name of the thread. Hopefully someone will remember and post it.

Quote:Also, when I called Pearson Vue, they can't (or won't) give me an idea how far out the test will be from when I call them until I have a code from Excelsior stating I registered for the course. I'm just asking generally how long (once again, just a general idea, ballpark) from when I call Pearson Vue would I have to wait to schedule an exam. I'd just like to know for study purposes.
When you can actually take your ECE exam will totally depend on how busy your local Pearson testing is, so there is no way for them to give you a ballpark about what dates and times will be available until you are registered. If you want to be able to take your exam on a specific date and time, I would recommend that you schedule the exam at least a few weeks or a month ahead of time. NOTE: you can always change the date later on there as there is no charge for this, although I think there may be if the change is done at the last minute. Hopefully someone can be more specific on that subject.
Quote:TESC said I would need to schedule at least 1 month out if not 2 just to make sure I could get in.
Yes, the TECEP exams must be scheduled AT LEAST one month ahead (on the registration form, you have to list what date you want to take the exam, and you must take it within two weeks of that date or you will be charged a $20 fee to reschedule. :madSmile I would recommend that you don't even register for the TECEP exam until you're ready to begin studying for it. As far as making sure "you can get in" - that totally depends on what testing center you use and the availability of the test proctor; it has nothing to do with TESC (unless you happen to be taking the exam there).

Hope all this helps!.
JoAnne Smile
BS - General Business - June 2007
Excelsior College
Thanks Joanne. The scoring concerns me because if what Excelsior told me is correct, I think I need to study longer than the 3 weeks I was planning for each one. I definitely put a lot of effort in, I don't want to come up short. As far as scheduling, there is no simple way to get this done, is there? It would be easier to get them done by doing DSST's but I need UL credits. The military base near me needs a very short notice and that's how I would like to take a test. When I'm ready, not when someone else is ready if you get my drift. Sort of build up to a crescendo. It's like warming up your car, and then shutting it down because your not going anywhere. I may just continue w/traditional (independent) classes. Appreciate your time.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  booking tecep exams shendaddy 4 1,753 08-16-2018, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  TECEP - do I have to wait until the start of a Term to take the exam? Kelly Green 4 1,996 08-16-2018, 09:04 AM
  TESU - apply as non-matriculating student, or TECEP only? Kelly Green 0 1,175 08-13-2018, 05:11 PM
  TECEP - Learning in the Digital Age - where does it fit? dfrecore 5 1,809 08-10-2018, 01:02 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Environmental Ethics ETH-210-TE Tecep jawbreakingrr 57 17,551 07-25-2018, 12:31 PM
Last Post: ashtonnewman
  Suggested TECEP's? High Pass Rate? omuneek 2 1,718 06-26-2018, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Failed Advertising TECEP nerd 12 3,201 06-18-2018, 04:01 PM
Last Post: nerd
  Error after submitting TECEP test nerd 4 1,872 06-16-2018, 01:13 PM
Last Post: Cheeseburrito
  TECEP to meet residency requirement Dowew 2 1,524 06-12-2018, 01:14 AM
Last Post: Dowew
  Cheapest TECEP sarahrahul 4 1,649 06-01-2018, 10:59 AM
Last Post: davewill