Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ETS Major Field Tests
I have my Major Field Test coming up for my LIB 495 class.  My major is for computer science.  Would I be able to lie and take the test in say psychology or sociology so I can have an easier test?  And still get my degree in computer science?
(05-25-2023, 02:19 PM)mt_1994 Wrote: I have my Major Field Test coming up for my LIB 495 class.  My major is for computer science.  Would I be able to lie and take the test in say psychology or sociology so I can have an easier test?  And still get my degree in computer science?

My idea was that if an additional degree plan, such as Liberal Arts, were added, you could declare yourself as a liberal arts major and take that test instead of the computer science test.

In my situation, I had multiple degree plans, and TESU was unsure about my major, which resulted in a delay in setting up the proctoring process. I had to email TESU to resolve the issue.

During the spring of 2021, they granted everyone a score of 100% regardless of their performance, so I ended up taking the computer science ETS, which was a terrible experience. However, I've heard that they no longer provide a guaranteed 100% score and will deduct points based on test performance.

If you'd like to get an idea of what the test would be like, you can review some sample questions here:
https://www.ets.org/pdfs/mft/comp-sci-sa...stions.pdf

So, essentially, you have two options. You can accept the possibility of receiving a lower score and take the computer science test, or you can explore the option of taking a different test instead of computer science.

Please keep us updated on how everything works out.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(05-25-2023, 04:51 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(05-25-2023, 02:19 PM)mt_1994 Wrote: I have my Major Field Test coming up for my LIB 495 class.  My major is for computer science.  Would I be able to lie and take the test in say psychology or sociology so I can have an easier test?  And still get my degree in computer science?

My idea was that if an additional degree plan, such as Liberal Arts, were added, you could declare yourself as a liberal arts major and take that test instead of the computer science test.

In my situation, I had multiple degree plans, and TESU was unsure about my major, which resulted in a delay in setting up the proctoring process. I had to email TESU to resolve the issue.

During the spring of 2021, they granted everyone a score of 100% regardless of their performance, so I ended up taking the computer science ETS, which was a terrible experience. However, I've heard that they no longer provide a guaranteed 100% score and will deduct points based on test performance.

If you'd like to get an idea of what the test would be like, you can review some sample questions here:
https://www.ets.org/pdfs/mft/comp-sci-sa...stions.pdf

So, essentially, you have two options. You can accept the possibility of receiving a lower score and take the computer science test, or you can explore the option of taking a different test instead of computer science.

Please keep us updated on how everything works out.

OK so I want to avoid taking the compute science test after looking at the sample.  If I choose to take the test in sociology.  Will my degree still be in Computer Science?
(05-25-2023, 05:20 PM)mt_1994 Wrote: OK so I want to avoid taking the compute science test after looking at the sample.

I thought it was pretty bad, and I still scraped by without losing any points on it, although I guess I do well with tests. I don't think you can lose a lot on this, can you?

(05-25-2023, 05:20 PM)mt_1994 Wrote: If I choose to take the test in sociology.  Will my degree still be in Computer Science?

You can only graduate in degree plans you fully complete and then apply for graduation, so if you only complete Computer Science, then that will be your degree.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
(05-25-2023, 05:31 PM)origamishuttle Wrote:
(05-25-2023, 05:20 PM)mt_1994 Wrote: OK so I want to avoid taking the computer science test after looking at the sample.

I thought it was pretty bad, and I still scraped by without losing any points on it, although I guess I do well with tests. I don't think you can lose a lot on this, can you?

(05-25-2023, 05:20 PM)mt_1994 Wrote: If I choose to take the test in sociology.  Will my degree still be in Computer Science?

You can only graduate in degree plans you fully complete and then apply for graduation, so if you only complete Computer Science, then that will be your degree.
Yes, but technically I would still be completing the class required for that degree which is the cornerstone so wouldn't I still get the computer science degree if I take another class?
(05-25-2023, 05:20 PM)mt_1994 Wrote: OK so I want to avoid taking the compute science test after looking at the sample.  If I choose to take the test in sociology.  Will my degree still be in Computer Science?

So as I understand, once the Liberal Arts capstone is done, it's done. I don't think it matters what ETS you take.

I think they automatically set up the ETS based on your major since I don't remember a drop-down list where I had a choice. 

Your degree will be whatever you apply for at graduation.

(05-25-2023, 05:36 PM)mt_1994 Wrote: Yes, but technically I would still be completing the class required for that degree which is the cornerstone so wouldn't I still get the computer science degree if I take another class?

Technically you are completing Liberal Arts Capstone, that's it.

There are no classes or degrees nested within each other.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • origamishuttle
Don't look at the sample and think "I only know 6 out of 10, I don't want a 60%". 6/10 will probably get you high average, which is full points for TESU. Everyone struggles with this test. It is designed to be a very challenging test so they can rank programs and determine skill gaps in curriculum. If it were designed for the average student to be able to achieve a perfect grade, it wouldn't give as much information. Also if it were that serious for your overall grade, they wouldn't tell you not to study for it.
Working Toward: ME-EM, CU Boulder (Coursera)
Completed: TESU - BA Computer Science, 2023; TESU - AAS Applied Electronic Studies, 2012; K-State -BS Political Science, 2016
[-] The following 3 users Like spohara's post:
  • gams007, LevelUP, origamishuttle

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BA Double Major Completed Niketay 3 574 11-01-2023, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Niketay
  TESU BA Double Major Niketay 22 1,538 07-13-2023, 06:48 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.com - how do you know how many tests you have left mt_1994 3 585 03-20-2023, 06:42 PM
Last Post: jch
Question How to take the ETS Major Field Test? LevelUP 10 2,772 10-31-2022, 10:51 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Double major at tesu Sb2013 17 4,378 10-16-2022, 04:37 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Dual Major - Upper Level Credit Requirements for 2nd Degree StudiousTraveller 9 993 10-13-2022, 08:38 PM
Last Post: StudiousTraveller
  ETS Major Field Tests? ab10365 10 3,857 10-10-2022, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Pats20
  LIB-498 ETS Major Field Test fmsoa 4 1,039 07-01-2022, 01:38 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  TESU Dual Major | Double AOS (Possible Changes) bjcheung77 11 1,628 01-18-2022, 06:51 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Should I grab a free associates degree if graduating same major bachelor degree? SlyToxicPanda 32 3,469 01-10-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: jsarles