Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Earn a doctorate in 6 years right out of high school
This isn't an online program so I'm posting it in the Off Topic forum.

I happen to live in Rhode Island, and the University of Rhode Island has a pharmacy program where students can earn their Doctor of Pharmacy in just 6 years. That's a graduate of high school to a doctorate in 6 years. The tuition for in-state students is $10,878 a year for undergrads and just $11,532 for grad students. That's a hell of a deal for a doctorate.

One of my co-worker's cousins was accepted into this program and she really wants to be a pharmacist so she is ecstatic. However, my co-worker is going nuts because his cousin was also accepted at Harvard but she chose URI instead. He thinks she crazy for not going to Harvard (I have to agree with him).
BA Liberal Studies from Thomas Edison State University
In a field like Pharmacy, does it matter where the degree is from? If it were my daughter, I would prefer that she graduate with less debt and move on with her life. If on the other hand she were going into business and wanted to work at one of the big firms, a prestigious school would make fore sense.
TESC 2015 - BSBA, Computer Information Systems

TESC 2019 - 21 Post-bachelor accounting credits
It would depend on the financial aid package offered by Harvard. There is a good chance that the cousin will only have to take on $5,000 or less in debt because Harvard tries to cover up to 100% of needs for families that make under $80,000 IIRC. I believe most PharmD programs only require 90 credit hours before admission.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:It would depend on the financial aid package offered by Harvard. There is a good chance that the cousin will only have to take on $5,000 or less in debt because Harvard tries to cover up to 100% of needs for families that make under $80,000 IIRC. I believe most PharmD programs only require 90 credit hours before admission.

You pretty much called it. She is raised by a single mom who doesn't make much money, so she would have went basically for free, which is one of the reasons my friend thinks she is crazy. From talking with my friend, I get the impression she doesn't want to leave her mom either.
BA Liberal Studies from Thomas Edison State University
American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Wrote:The Pharm.D. degree requires at least two years of undergraduate study [academic years of prerequisites, i.e. 60 sh] and most student pharmacists complete three or more years of college [90 sh] before starting a pharmacy program.

Then,

American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Wrote:The following institutions offer a three-calendar year Pharm.D. degree program to students who have completed all college-level prerequisites for admission. Please contact the institutions directly for more information.

[The list, now 13 schools across the country, includes Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences – Worcester and University of Saint Joseph.]

Frequently Asked Questions About Pharmacy Admissions (AACP)

Between the two, there's an accelerated but relatively conventional path to a Pharm.D. in as little as 2+3 calendar years. 3+3 or 2+4 options are that much more conservative but still add up to 6 years.

MCPHS in Worcester, MA, and University of Saint Joseph in West Hartford, CT, are both close to home in Rhode Island! She could also come back home to the four-year program at URI, 2+4.

Also Harvard pre-health people are AWESOME. (He says after manning a table for the Harvard Extension Pre-Health Society tonight. :p )

Has she applied at Brown? An Ivy League education in Providence. She could take prerequisites there and, if her calling was still to pharmacy and she performed solidly in the prerequisites, track into pharmacy school after two or three years.
If you're accepted at Harvard, you go to Harvard.

Unless you're accepted at Yale.

Youth is so wasted on the young.
Total Newb Big Grin - Enrolled at TESC for AA, eventually going for BA Psych.

Thanks to everyone who provides such awesome information on this site, I'm slowly getting the hang of this crazy process.

CLEP - Intro. Psych. - 63, A&I Literature - 72, Intro. Edu. Psych. - 59
ALEKS - Intermediate Algebra
FEMA - 12 Credits

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nicaragua seizes all assets from INCAE Business School elcastor21 0 297 09-26-2023, 04:55 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Found: $1,500 (TOTAL) At-own-pace Law School dcan 48 9,063 08-28-2023, 10:34 PM
Last Post: resistk
Question Poll: Just not sure what to major in for grad school and which direction to go! Randyb100 21 1,470 05-26-2023, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Randyb100
  Can I get a High School Diploma after getting my GED and Associates? IReallyNeedADegree 24 2,585 02-06-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  What does college look like in 10...20 years? cardiacclep 10 1,452 08-25-2022, 04:48 AM
Last Post: MitchellHolst
  Student signs up for class, finds out 2 months in that his professor died 2 years ago studyingfortests 5 727 07-27-2022, 05:32 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Any Spanish Song Favorites From the Past Few Years? LevelUP 5 685 07-07-2022, 12:13 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Gas Prices Hit Record High Averaging Over $5 a Gallon in California LevelUP 8 917 03-07-2022, 03:54 AM
Last Post: Blkqueen8
  School Psychologists?? Vle045 3 907 01-21-2022, 03:22 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  U of Michigan removes School President bjcheung77 0 557 01-15-2022, 09:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77