Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Earning Multiple Degrees
(09-16-2018, 12:49 PM)natshar Wrote:
(09-16-2018, 09:47 AM)sanantone Wrote: What should be the limit on allowing a degree for a career change? Wouldn't a second degree often be completed for a career change? Having two bachelor's degrees is not the norm, after all. Why stop at three? Why not let people make unlimited career changes with unlimited degrees?

Two degrees aren't the norm double majors are quite common. Yes, I understand, but I think the big 3 doesn't want people cheating the system. I respect that. While I agree with you, I think after one gets a degree usually a career change can be done without another degree. There are always exceptions but often a few classes, certifications or life experience be enough for lots of peoples career changes.

That's my point. There's no reason for a school to offer a third bachelor's degree other than to make more money. If they're going to offer a third, then they might as well offer a fourth and a fifth.

Offering multiple bachelor's degrees is in the best interest of the school. The ethical thing to do is to encourage the person to move on to a graduate program if he or she really needs the extra education. If you didn't get your degree choice right the first two times, then you might not get it right the third wasting more money.

With that said, since the Big 3 allow people to test out of so many credits, you can earn three bachelor's degrees for the price of one. At some point, they're going to want to convince you to enroll in one of their master's programs where they can make a lot more money off of you.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Ah I see. I can't wait until a few years fom now. By then I'll have three bachelors degrees and working towards my double masters.... and I still won't be able to get a job. And lets not forget all the debt too. Yay!!

(I'm joking, I doubt I'll pursue anything beyond a double major bachelors)

At community college a teacher once told me "getting a job isn't about the degree. It is about who you know and what you can do."

And I'm sure there are people with multiple degrees who can't get jobs because they don't know how to do anything except spend money on education and study for tests.
I had a very successful career of 30 years without any degree. I't would have looked better yes, but I had the skills and connections to make technical problems go away. A degree would not have helped me at all in this regard.

I'm exploring Charter Oak and like some of the possibilities.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
[-] The following 1 user Likes vetvso's post:
  • Life Long Learning

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UVEG - Inexpensive Official Degrees in Mexico bjcheung77 13 1,552 Today, 03:30 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 601 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,611 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Inexpensive Certificates, Diplomas, Degrees bjcheung77 1 404 02-20-2024, 01:13 AM
Last Post: mancheseter24
  Futurelearn has BA degrees in Marketing & Design for 13k USD. Masters for 7k USD. nyvrem 1 245 02-16-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How others think of college degrees... bjcheung77 5 545 12-31-2023, 02:27 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Why degree mills center so hard in post-graduate degrees? elcastor21 7 915 12-08-2023, 06:56 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Do extended level 6 diploma's from the UK get evaluated as Bachelor degrees in the US Pinko64 3 558 11-02-2023, 12:01 AM
Last Post: Pinko64
  University of Phoenix to offer Competency Based Degrees elcastor21 11 1,222 10-04-2023, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Guy Has Either 33 or 108 Doctorate Degrees (Allegedly) RbxFunRocks 61 6,612 09-01-2023, 08:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77