Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Earning Multiple Degrees
I'm just curious about these policies. Not actually trying to do this (yet). Just wondering if there was any concrete answer. I have a lot of college credit in different areas from a lot of different sources.

It says Thomas Edison doesn't award a third associates or bachelors degree. I would like some clarification on this:

Question 1: I already have two associates degrees from a non big three school. Does this mean I am in ineligible for a TESU associates?

Question 2:  If I already have two bachelors degrees from somewhere else Does this mean I am ineligible for a TESU bachelors?

Question 3: Charter Oaks policies on earning a 2nd or 3rd bachelors degree? associates degree?

Question 4: Excelsior's policies on earning a 2nd or 3rd bachelors degree? associates degree?

Any knowledge on this topic would be appreciated.
1) yes you would be ineligible
2) yes you would be ineligible per their policy
3) https://www.charteroak.edu/prospective/a...degree.php
4) I believe someone mentioned excelsior may allow a 3rd bachelor's but I can't confirm.

For all of them, they're only trying to prevent people from overlapping their credits a bunch of different ways to get multiple degrees out of largely the same credits.
There is always the possibility of exceptions if you can plead your case and show that you have a reason. (Like getting a degree in a completely different field that requires most of the classes to be redone.)
If you have maxed out your possible undergrad degrees but want to show college level learning in a new area, there is still the possibility of undergrad certificates.
Also, at a certain point, it becomes far more beneficial to move on to graduate studies.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • natshar
A year ago I asked all three.

TESU said NO.

COSC said they would consider it at the BS level, but would not give me a direct answer.

Excelsior College said yes but must be in a different area.  No BS in Business again, etc.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 1 user Likes Life Long Learning's post:
  • natshar
(09-15-2018, 04:31 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: A year ago I asked all three.

TESU said NO.

COSC said they would consider it at the BS level, but would not give me a direct answer.

Excelsior College said yes but must be in a different area.  No BS in Business again, etc.

After being genuinely curious and searching through this forum from other threads and the schools themselves. This is what I found. Helpful information for anyone planning on multiple degrees, take note.

TESU: A definite no. One can earn four undergrad degrees total: consisting of two associates and two bachelors. If one has already earned two degrees from a different institution they will not grand a third at that level. A double major must be in the same degree type, ex a BA in History and Pysch, but I can't do a BA in History and Business since Business is BSBA. A double major from TESU counts the same as two Bachelors degrees. So after earning a double major bachelors you can't earn another bachelors. TESU doesn't allow you to earn two bachelors degrees at the exact same time. Finish one degree first, then go ahead and earn 24 different credits (12 for an associates) to get a second. If you earned the credits for both at the exact same time, it might not count as 24 different credits for the second. Kind of frustrating.

In my own personal example, I have two associates degrees so I am not eligible for another associates. However, I have zero Bachelors degrees so I am eligible to earn up to two if I so choose.

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/award-of-degrees

COSC: Upon reading this forum and hearing multiple stories, it appears they will not give a direct answer to anyone. They will award a second degree, providing it is in a different area than the first. My guess is a third Bachelors degree will probably be allowed if it is in a completly unrelated area. This will probably take lots of hoops to go through in order to get it approved. In a totally made up example, say someone had an engineering degree and a finance degree. If they wanted to attend Charter Oak to earn a degree in Early Childhood Education, it probably could get it approved. But such a case like that would be rare. Especially considering Charter Oak doesn't offer too many majors, most people with two degrees would probably have some overlap. Still it is interesting reading the threads about Charter Oak's mysteriousness towards a third degree. I wonder what they are hiding...

https://www.charteroak.edu/prospective/a...degree.php

Excelsior: A third degree can awarded but it requires permission and can't overlap the two previous areas or types of degrees. Kind of like the example above for Charter Oak. It must be new area of study completely different. Again, this makes it difficult because Excelsior doesn't have tons of majors. Maybe nursing degree would something one would pursue a third degree for? But after looking though the forums, I've found although a third degree is possible, it requires lots of permission and verification. I'm missing the link but I believe a second degree must have 30 credits not used for the first for a Bachelor, so I'm guessing this would be the same for the third also.

In short:
Unless you are making a complete 360 career change, earning a third bachelors or associates degree seems mostly hard to do, pointless and useless. 

Thomas Edison understands the fact that people "hack" their way to a degree and doesn't want people to cheat the system. Meanwhile, Excelsior understands adults change careers and aren't necessarily trying to hack the system. And Charter Oak? Charter Oak is hiding something.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • quigongene
Haha.

I think it has something to do with Paul Manafort, considering their address is on Paul Manafort Drive.
"In short:
Unless you are making a complete 360 career change, earning a third bachelors or associates degree seems mostly hard to do, pointless and useless. "

I agree with this statement.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • natshar
What should be the limit on allowing a degree for a career change? Wouldn't a second degree often be completed for a career change? Having two bachelor's degrees is not the norm, after all. Why stop at three? Why not let people make unlimited career changes with unlimited degrees?
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(09-16-2018, 09:47 AM)sanantone Wrote: What should be the limit on allowing a degree for a career change? Wouldn't a second degree often be completed for a career change? Having two bachelor's degrees is not the norm, after all. Why stop at three? Why not let people make unlimited career changes with unlimited degrees?

Two degrees aren't the norm double majors are quite common. Yes, I understand, but I think the big 3 doesn't want people cheating the system. I respect that. While I agree with you, I think after one gets a degree usually a career change can be done without another degree. There are always exceptions but often a few classes, certifications or life experience be enough for lots of peoples career changes.
(09-16-2018, 09:47 AM)sanantone Wrote: What should be the limit on allowing a degree for a career change? Wouldn't a second degree often be completed for a career change? Having two bachelor's degrees is not the norm, after all. Why stop at three? Why not let people make unlimited career changes with unlimited degrees?

I agree, it makes no sense. If it is acceptable to overlap courses once, it should be acceptable to overlap them any number of times. If they don't want it done in that way then they could make the process different rather than simply saying no.
If you really want to go for a Double Bachelors, go for it! But beyond that point, I think it would be more beneficial if you go for a Masters instead. Unless that Bachelor degree is in a vertical that's rare, such as Biomedical Systems Engineering or something along those lines that require at least "some butt-in-seat classes". I think a specialized Masters in any of the double bachelors fields would be a better option than to get a third Bachelors. It shows that you're working towards researching that topic at a higher level.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UVEG - Inexpensive Official Degrees in Mexico bjcheung77 13 1,503 6 hours ago
Last Post: Kab
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 596 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,604 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Inexpensive Certificates, Diplomas, Degrees bjcheung77 1 400 02-20-2024, 01:13 AM
Last Post: mancheseter24
  Futurelearn has BA degrees in Marketing & Design for 13k USD. Masters for 7k USD. nyvrem 1 245 02-16-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How others think of college degrees... bjcheung77 5 545 12-31-2023, 02:27 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Why degree mills center so hard in post-graduate degrees? elcastor21 7 915 12-08-2023, 06:56 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Do extended level 6 diploma's from the UK get evaluated as Bachelor degrees in the US Pinko64 3 556 11-02-2023, 12:01 AM
Last Post: Pinko64
  University of Phoenix to offer Competency Based Degrees elcastor21 11 1,221 10-04-2023, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Guy Has Either 33 or 108 Doctorate Degrees (Allegedly) RbxFunRocks 61 6,605 09-01-2023, 08:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77