Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Earning credits after university matriculation
Hi.  I really tried to get my daughter to do CLEPS and Study.com.  None of it worked out.  She has just started at UMW.edu here in Virginia.  Her guidance counselor just informed me they do not allow CLEPS, "After matriculation", https://publications.umw.edu/undergradua.../transfer/
It sounds like Study.com will not work either since it's not an educational institution.  Other than the local community college, do we have any other online options?  In VA, it's a little over $500 per class, plus books.  Much thanks,
JB

I saw this but it's old info https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/onl...rable.html
Lots of other online options through schools that aren't your local CC - like CC's in NM, which have excellent pricing for out-of-state students - NMJC is just $69/cr plus a $40 online course fee. Clovis CC is $111/cr plus a $10/cr technology fee and a $50/course online fee. Luna CC is $114/cr up to 6cr in a term. Mesaland CC is $104/cr. They all have a limited number of online courses. Rio Salado is more expensive, but offers rolling starts (just about every Monday I think) and accelerated options for most courses, with either 8-wk or 14-wk terms. $215/cr. They have a lot more options than the rest.

I would check with the school before taking anything though. First, their tuition may allow your DD to take all the courses she needs, second, they may have a weird transfer policy that you don't know about, once she's already started. Many schools do.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • ed209uardo, jb111
What does she want the credit for? That makes all the difference. If it's for an employer, then you could either enroll for a second bachelor's at TESU, or sign up for credit banking there. It doesn't really matter whether you ever intend to finish the second degree, the transfer credits will show on the transcript.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • alexf.1990
Thank you both.  Sorry for the late response.  My daughter transferred into the university with 9 credits (High School AP/IB).  Starting tomorrow, she will attend UMW all 4 years due to double-major.  My thought is relieve some pressure by slipping in general ed. during 2 summer breaks.  We will definitely check with the university before signing up since they could easy reject out of state classes.  Much appreciated.
(08-26-2018, 03:58 PM)jb111 Wrote: Thank you both.  Sorry for the late response.  My daughter transferred into the university with 9 credits (High School AP/IB).  Starting tomorrow, she will attend UMW all 4 years due to double-major.  My thought is relieve some pressure by slipping in general ed. during 2 summer breaks.  We will definitely check with the university before signing up since they could easy reject out of state classes.  Much appreciated.

That's a good plan - I don't think it's the out-of-state classes that would be a problem as much as the university's general rules on bringing in any credits after matriculation.

If it's just Gen Eds though, that could be an easy one.  Good luck!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-26-2018, 03:58 PM)jb111 Wrote: Thank you both.  Sorry for the late response.  My daughter transferred into the university with 9 credits (High School AP/IB).  Starting tomorrow, she will attend UMW all 4 years due to double-major.  My thought is relieve some pressure by slipping in general ed. during 2 summer breaks.  We will definitely check with the university before signing up since they could easy reject out of state classes.  Much appreciated.

The school you guys picked has a really clear transfer policy that will go into effect for her tomorrow and be in effect for all the years she attends. With AP and IB credit, your daughter is clearly bright enough, but unless she doesn't start tomorrow, this is it.
Respectfully, all the "cheap" credit happens in the 100/200 classes (now) and the expensive stuff comes later 300/400 level. If you want her to save money, it's now or never. Unless her college fund is fully funded and ready to go, money should be part of the discussion, because she'll have to borrow. (or you will)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 230 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,624 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,566 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  American Public University? nomaduser 33 2,942 03-14-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 605 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of Idaho acquiring University of Phoenix bjcheung77 10 1,246 03-04-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,618 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 353 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 483 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Metropolia University Common Problems Resolved mariobros1985 21 2,495 02-24-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: therightstuff