Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Easiest/Fastest SDC and SL Courses List?
(06-20-2019, 09:29 PM)suzycupcake Wrote: I found I was able to get through StraighterLine courses much faster than Study.com. Study.com is tedious (for me) with all the quizzes. I think StraighterLine is more forward and as BJ mentions, they have a lot of open book finals which helped me a lot. I was able to get through 2-3 classes each weekend using SL but I spent the weekend doing them.

So, what is the SL format? (They don't show all of the modules or details like SDC.)

1. Sign up.
2. Watch videos? Or read texts?
3. Quizzes? Or just final?
4. Any assignments? (Somebody said they take the final and then do assignments. How exactly does that work?

(06-21-2019, 01:38 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I thought SL was torturously slow and never ended up finishing either of the courses I started.

For Study.com, you are now limited to 5 final exams a month.

Well now there's a different view altogether. What made it slow? Too much reading? Too many quizzes or assignments?

Do you think the classes you took were part of the problem? And did you choose SDC instead? If so, how is it better for you, and how long does a course take you on average?
Working towards:
  • BS Entrepreneurship @ Franklin U or BA Human Relations & Business @ Amberton U
Exams/Courses Taken (99 Credits)
  • CLEP (36) - English Comp, Natural Science, College Math, Principles of Mgmt, Intro Marketing, Intro Sociology, Analyzing & Interpreting Lit, Intro to Educational Psychology, Human Growth & Dev 
  • DSST (12) - Principles of Supervision, Intro to Business, Human Resources Mgmt, Organizational Behavior
  • Sophia Learning (51) - Developing Effective Teams, Student Success, Essentials of Managing Conflict, Conflict Resolution, Intro to Ethics, Visual Communication, Intro to Psychology, Public Speaking, Intro to Info Tech, Accounting, Statistics, Algebra, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Communication at Work, Principles of Finance, Business Law, US History 1&2
  • Study.com - Coming soon...
The fastest course is the one your most familiar with.

It is possible to knock out a course in a day or two, 30 hours is 30 hours it dosent matter it you only do 2 hours a day or 15 hours for 2 days....but be prepared to put in 16-18 hour days and a minimim of 12 hours per day....
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

The TEEX Fingerprinting & Death Investigation courses are super fast! Truly took a few hours and done.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fingerscrossedx2's post:
  • suzycupcake
I can sorta second dfrecore's view re:StraighterLine, with the caveat that I really enjoyed the Calculus course content. However, when I tried to do a couple accounting courses, I found them long and tedious and really just a pain and didn't finish. But others have found it to be their favorite provider, so to each their own.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • SCYankee
(06-21-2019, 09:01 AM)SCYankee Wrote:
(06-20-2019, 09:29 PM)suzycupcake Wrote: I found I was able to get through StraighterLine courses much faster than Study.com. Study.com is tedious (for me) with all the quizzes. I think StraighterLine is more forward and as BJ mentions, they have a lot of open book finals which helped me a lot. I was able to get through 2-3 classes each weekend using SL but I spent the weekend doing them.

So, what is the SL format? (They don't show all of the modules or details like SDC.)

1. Sign up.
2. Watch videos? Or read texts?
3. Quizzes? Or just final?
4. Any assignments? (Somebody said they take the final and then do assignments. How exactly does that work?
If you go to SL and click on a class you can see the syllabus and the breakdown of the class but for most of the classes I've done (all LLs) there have been 4 graded exams, a midterm and a final. The ebooks are different from each other so sometimes page turning is tedious. The search capabilities aren't the greatest for the books. I haven't taken any classes with assignments at SL.
I've not come across any classes at SL with any videos. Here is the reason why I like SL. No one is forcing me to take 100 quizzes before I can take an exam. If I know the material, I like that I am able to go straight to the exams. For example, I've been in the corporate world for 30 years and I should be able to be a big girl and go straight to the exam if I feel like it. It feels forceful to me. If I fail, I fail and have to pay again but don't MAKE me do the tedious parts. 
Now, if I was learning something new and different, I LOVE that SDC serves it up to me in small digestible chunks and makes me take the quizzes to reinforce what I've learned. I also love that SDC classes can build on other ones. For example, I took Eng Comp I at SDC, when I completed it, I was already 45% done with Eng Comp II. You can't beat that!
To sum it up, if I feel like I have a decent handle on the material already, I go the SL route. If I don't, I do SDC. I feel like they both offer very different learning platforms and really like to be able to choose between them (and others) to mix it up.
Hope that helps!
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
[-] The following 1 user Likes suzycupcake's post:
  • SCYankee
(06-21-2019, 09:47 AM)fingerscrossedx2 Wrote: The TEEX Fingerprinting & Death Investigation courses are super fast! Truly took a few hours and done.

I plan to do the Cyber Security for Everyone course (or whatever it's called), but the rest just aren't relevant to me. I'll just watch Forensic Files on YouTube instead. 

(06-21-2019, 10:57 AM)suzycupcake Wrote: I've been in the corporate world for 30 years and I should be able to be a big girl and go straight to the exam if I feel like it. It feels forceful to me. If I fail, I fail and have to pay again but don't MAKE me do the tedious parts. 

I get it.

I took Eng Comp I at SDC, when I completed it, I was already 45% done with Eng Comp II. You can't beat that!

That is a great tip!

To sum it up, if I feel like I have a decent handle on the material already, I go the SL route. If I don't, I do SDC. 

That sounds like the best course of action. However, although online articles are fine, I don't like reading 200 PDF pages. I want to feel the book and skip back and forth, or whatever, easily, without pushing buttons or growing or shrinking the screen. So I might lean toward SDC, but it does look like some of those courses have a million video clips. Is it possible to just play them in a row, without having to open and click on every video individually? (Sort of like a YouTube playlist, where one video starts after the other, until you stop them.)
Working towards:
  • BS Entrepreneurship @ Franklin U or BA Human Relations & Business @ Amberton U
Exams/Courses Taken (99 Credits)
  • CLEP (36) - English Comp, Natural Science, College Math, Principles of Mgmt, Intro Marketing, Intro Sociology, Analyzing & Interpreting Lit, Intro to Educational Psychology, Human Growth & Dev 
  • DSST (12) - Principles of Supervision, Intro to Business, Human Resources Mgmt, Organizational Behavior
  • Sophia Learning (51) - Developing Effective Teams, Student Success, Essentials of Managing Conflict, Conflict Resolution, Intro to Ethics, Visual Communication, Intro to Psychology, Public Speaking, Intro to Info Tech, Accounting, Statistics, Algebra, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Communication at Work, Principles of Finance, Business Law, US History 1&2
  • Study.com - Coming soon...
(06-21-2019, 01:32 PM)SCYankee Wrote:
(06-21-2019, 10:57 AM)suzycupcake Wrote: I've been in the corporate world for 30 years and I should be able to be a big girl and go straight to the exam if I feel like it. It feels forceful to me. If I fail, I fail and have to pay again but don't MAKE me do the tedious parts. 

I get it.

I took Eng Comp I at SDC, when I completed it, I was already 45% done with Eng Comp II. You can't beat that!

That is a great tip!

To sum it up, if I feel like I have a decent handle on the material already, I go the SL route. If I don't, I do SDC. 

That sounds like the best course of action. However, although online articles are fine, I don't like reading 200 PDF pages. I want to feel the book and skip back and forth, or whatever, easily, without pushing buttons or growing or shrinking the screen. So I might lean toward SDC, but it does look like some of those courses have a million video clips. Is it possible to just play them in a row, without having to open and click on every video individually? (Sort of like a YouTube playlist, where one video starts after the other, until you stop them.)
I'm not sure you can do that with the videos, I've always had to hit the "next lesson" button.  What you can do is just read the transcript below the video instead of watching or you can play the video at 1.25, 1.5 (or faster!) speed to get through them.

I totally get what you are saying about the books - I just tried to find a pharmacology book at the library so I could read through it instead of online!
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
Same, I tried 3 different SL courses and I couldn't finish any of them. I gave up on it as a platform. I'm somewhat baffled when I see people finishing a course in a day there, but hey, different things work for different people.

For reference, with SDC I've been able to progress through 2 classes a month by spending about 1-2 hours each day on them. I sometimes spend more time on them during the weekend. If I could spend 6+ hours per day I'd probably get a lot more progress on them. For many of the classes I've taken so far, I did not have a lot of prior knowledge so I spend more time on them. Library Science was the fastest though, I did finish that one in a few days spread out.

Right now I'm taking Managerial Accounting on SDC and it's horrible since I'm not great at math and remembering formulas. I have to reread/re-listen several times before I think I understand the material and even then I end up having to retake the quizzes. I'm tempted to switch to another course but I only have like 30 quizzes left and the month's almost over so it seems like I should just get this one over with.
TESU, BSBA-HR Completed December 2020

Completed: B&M CC: 67 units applied to degree Study.com: Principles of Management, Principles of Marketing, Computing, International Business, Library Science, Managerial Accounting, Leading Organizational Change, Finance, Organizational Theory, Strategic Human Resources (30 units) Davar: Organizational Behavior, Managerial Communication (6 units) Sophia: Microeconomics, Statistics, College Algebra, Conflict Resolution, Leading Teams (11 units) Institutes: Ethics (2 units) TESU: Business Capstone, Cornerstone (4 units)

Next up: Researching Master's Programs
[-] The following 1 user Likes Muldoon's post:
  • SCYankee

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,322 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 890 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 690 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,505 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,841 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
Photo TADA Tier List of Certificates LevelUP 13 2,121 02-23-2024, 10:05 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,032 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 2,040 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Equivalents for Old SNHU Gen Ed Courses Spalmer 6 575 02-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Spalmer
  SeeMore courses other than CSM (or: has anyone transferred a non-ACE/NCCRS course?) vaticidalprophet 5 328 01-24-2024, 01:58 PM