Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Easiest/Quickest Remaining Sophia Courses?
Just FYI, the Sophia's Algebra course is barely algebra. IMO, it's only marginally more difficult than College Math. You probably don't need Khan Academy to pass it. I understand that math can be difficult for some people, but you needn't be afraid of Sophia's Algebra.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
FastTrackDegree Wrote:If you have not yet decided on a degree, I would recommend you take all the credits at instantcert too, quick and cheap. And the CSM course at smilabs.org, it should help you to get started with math and statistics.

This is what I would do as well, the InstantCert credit courses are just $20, plus $15/proctor exam. CSM is non-proctored and just $35, (10% off if you sign up with newsletter, it'll be $31 for 3 credits). Sophia.org would be best for those that don't have touchstones, you can get the credits faster. You can then take the ones with touchstones when you have decided on the degree or school of choice. Last but not least are Saylor.org, Onlinedegree.com, LawShelf.com courses if you're going the Excelsior or TESU route as OD/LS are using NCCRS...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • ISKBizz15
(04-27-2022, 10:32 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Just FYI, the Sophia's Algebra course is barely algebra. IMO, it's only marginally more difficult than College Math. You probably don't need Khan Academy to pass it. I understand that math can be difficult for some people, but you needn't be afraid of Sophia's Algebra.

Are you talking about Foundations of College Algebra, which is expired? I used to be pretty good at algebra, and the regular College Algebra course was my most time-consuming Sophia course, a full 8-hour+ day.
[-] The following 1 user Likes origamishuttle's post:
  • ss20ts
(04-27-2022, 09:50 PM)origamishuttle Wrote:
(04-27-2022, 10:32 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Just FYI, the Sophia's Algebra course is barely algebra. IMO, it's only marginally more difficult than College Math. You probably don't need Khan Academy to pass it. I understand that math can be difficult for some people, but you needn't be afraid of Sophia's Algebra.

Are you talking about Foundations of College Algebra, which is expired? I used to be pretty good at algebra, and the regular College Algebra course was my most time-consuming Sophia course, a full 8-hour+ day.

I'm talking about the regular one. It's nearly identical to Foundations, but with a couple extra units. It's way, way easier than any other College Algebra course. It may be time consuming or challenging to those who have difficulties with math, but it's probably still the best shot someone with dyscalculia has of passing an algebra class for their gen eds.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(04-28-2022, 01:07 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I'm talking about the regular one. It's nearly identical to Foundations, but with a couple extra units. It's way, way easier than any other College Algebra course. It may be time consuming or challenging to those who have difficulties with math, but it's probably still the best shot someone with dyscalculia has of passing an algebra class for their gen eds.

That's really good to know. Thank you!

College Algebra took me over 3 weeks! Thought I was never going to make it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • FastTrackDegree
(04-27-2022, 11:35 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
FastTrackDegree Wrote:If you have not yet decided on a degree, I would recommend you take all the credits at instantcert too, quick and cheap. And the CSM course at smilabs.org, it should help you to get started with math and statistics.

This is what I would do as well, the InstantCert credit courses are just $20, plus $15/proctor exam.  CSM is non-proctored and just $35, (10% off if you sign up with newsletter, it'll be $31 for 3 credits).  Sophia.org would be best for those that don't have touchstones, you can get the credits faster.  You can then take the ones with touchstones when you have decided on the degree or school of choice.  Last but not least are Saylor.org, Onlinedegree.com, LawShelf.com courses if you're going the Excelsior or TESU route as OD/LS are using NCCRS...

CSM is next on my list. For InstantCert and everything else, I don't have anywhere to take a proctored online test. I'm thinking of trying a folding chair and one of those folding meal tray tables in my living room. Would anyone have any advice on taking proctored tests in limited space?

(04-28-2022, 12:00 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

College Algebra took me over 3 weeks! Thought I was never going to make it.

I thought College Algebra has a lot of the same math as Intro to College? Intro to College Math took me a couple weeks to finish because I really struggled with all the graphing equations, slopes, and linear equations. Those look like they're included in College Algebra's units?
As long as you have a "table" of some kind and you don't have anyone else in the room with you, you should be okay to take proctored exams.

For Sophia, remember that everything is open book. You are allowed to use a graphing calculator like Desmos if you need to. I don't remember there being much in the way of graphing in College Math, but maybe I wasn't paying enough attention.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(05-01-2022, 10:51 AM)bdarei Wrote: CSM is next on my list. For InstantCert and everything else, I don't have anywhere to take a proctored online test. I'm thinking of trying a folding chair and one of those folding meal tray tables in my living room. Would anyone have any advice on taking proctored tests in limited space?

I carved out a corner of a room with a smaller portable style table for laptop and covered the rest of the room with bedsheets so the bookcases and other things were not showing. walls were empty. Door was closed. window blinds closed too. Overkill? maybe, but it was quick to set up and take down and worked.   It was easier on me to be in a room with a door to close. Probably doesn't matter for proctoring though.  phone off.

and CSM is "non proctored" as was already said above. however, there is an ID verification process toward the end that involves downloading an app and takes photos of you while at keyboard. A little more involved than sophia ID method but not proctored with live or recorded either.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

Environmental Science
Intro to IT

I also found Micro and Macro to be quite easy. Finished each in 1 day or so but that could be background/experience related. There is a lot of carry over between the 2.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 101 52,464 03-27-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 385 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,744 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 278 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,801 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,873 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,400 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 6 547 03-03-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 3 607 03-01-2024, 09:13 PM
  Sophia - Managerial Accounting and Lifespan chentastic 36 3,970 02-28-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: vaticidalprophet