Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eastern University
(08-15-2020, 07:29 PM)eleverson Wrote:
(08-15-2020, 01:47 PM)AwardTour Wrote:
(08-06-2020, 12:34 PM)eleverson Wrote: I applied the other day and in the middle of filling out the application, an advisor called to see if I needed help or any questions answered. Talking about good customer service or just good hustling..lol. Right now my application is under review, will keep you posted.

Thanks for the update. I agree with you, Eastern University seems to have good customer service. I emailed some questions to two different departments, admissions and financial aid. Both departments emailed me a response to answer my questions on the same day.

I'm happy to say that I was accepted in the program and will sign up for my classes on Monday! Yippie!

Congrats! I am curious to know if there are proctored exams or not. I am not opposed to proctored exams and I have done many of them. Eastern University told me there are not any proctored exams, but another person here said that the platform they use has video capture built-in (implying some type of proctoring even if it is not a live proctor i.e. Study.com). 

I would appreciate hearing those types of details and any other thoughts you wish to share. I won't be starting the program for another 5 to 6 months. 

Good Luck!
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)
(08-15-2020, 07:51 PM)AwardTour Wrote:
(08-06-2020, 12:34 PM)eleverson Wrote: I applied the other day and in the middle of filling out the application, an advisor called to see if I needed help or any questions answered. Talking about good customer service or just good hustling..lol. Right now my application is under review, will keep you posted.

Thanks for the update. I agree with you, Eastern University seems to have good customer service. I emailed some questions to two different departments, admissions and financial aid. Both departments emailed me a response to answer my questions on the same day.

I'm happy to say that I was accepted in the program and will sign up for my classes on Monday! Yippie!

Congrats! I am curious to know if there are proctored exams or not. I am not opposed to proctored exams and I have done many of them. Eastern University told me there are not any proctored exams, but another person here said that the platform they use has video capture built-in (implying some type of proctoring even if it is not a live proctor i.e. Study.com). 

I would appreciate hearing those types of details and any other thoughts you wish to share. I won't be starting the program for another 5 to 6 months. 

Good Luck!

No problem, I will be happy to share my journey about the program. I was told the same thing that there is not a proctor for exams. I will be able to tell you more about how things go once I start classes. Will keep you posted.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eleverson's post:
  • AwardTour
No proctors sounds like lots of papers instead of exams to me. I'm curious to see how this turns out.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(08-16-2020, 11:49 AM)eleverson Wrote:
(08-15-2020, 07:51 PM)AwardTour Wrote:

Good Luck!

No problem, I will be happy to share my journey about the program. I was told the same thing that there is not a proctor for exams. I will be able to tell you more about how things go once I start classes. Will keep you posted.
I just received my syllabus and this is what it states when it comes to exams: Additionally, you will need a webcam to take the exams.  We will use proctoring software that requires a webcam so we can ensure academic integrity.
Grading 
Exams (100%)
Following most modules, you will take an exam through Brightspace.  We will be using proctoring software to assure academic integrity, so be sure to take your exams in a quiet, distraction-free environment.  The software will record you as you take your exam, and will track eye movement, so please behave accordingly.

You will be required to earn 80% on each exam before proceeding to subsequent material; however, you will be able to take the exams repeatedly until you earn 80%.

Exams will consist of multiple choice, short answer, and fill in the blank questions.  You will be expected to answer theoretical questions, solve calculations by hand, and answer questions related to relevant lab assignments.
[-] The following 2 users Like eleverson's post:
  • AwardTour, suzycupcake
Are there any other data science online degree programs out there from bigger branded school names? I'm looking into furthering my studies after I complete my master's degree using TA from work.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.
Georgia Institute of Technology: MS in Analytics (3/32 Credits)
Boston University: MS in Software Development
Thomas Edison State University: BA in Liberal Studies
(08-27-2020, 09:23 PM)MrBossmanJr Wrote: Are there any other data science online degree programs out there from bigger branded school names? I'm looking into furthering my studies after I complete my master's degree using TA from work.

There are plenty, but going to be pricier. UC Berkeley,  Johns Hopkins, Syracuse, Northwestern, there's even one through Harvard Extension which I would consider brand-name light as it will be depend on how thorough the knowledge of the person looking at your resume is about Extension degrees. I think the advantages of the Eastern degree are the price and program structure,  especially with the info that they allow exam retakes until you pass,
[-] The following 2 users Like Sparklette's post:
  • MrBossmanJr, suzycupcake
(08-27-2020, 09:23 PM)MrBossmanJr Wrote: Are there any other data science online degree programs out there from bigger branded school names? I'm looking into furthering my studies after I complete my master's degree using TA from work.

There's quite a few. You just need to do some research. The list seems to grow every week.

WVU
Bellevue
CSU Global
Purdue Global
WGU

And there are plenty more. Some are Data Science and some are Data Analytics. Some are a combo of both.
(08-28-2020, 10:35 AM)Sparklette Wrote:

There are plenty, but going to be pricier. UC Berkeley,  Johns Hopkins, Syracuse, Northwestern, there's even one through Harvard Extension which I would consider brand-name light as it will be depend on how thorough the knowledge of the person looking at your resume is about Extension degrees. I think the advantages of the Eastern degree are the price and program structure,  especially with the info that they allow exam retakes until you pass,

Thanks, I think I am going to look into USC.

https://catalogue.usc.edu/preview_progra...urnto=4314
(08-28-2020, 03:18 PM)MrBossmanJr Wrote:

I would recommend UC Berkeley and their MIDS program. Great school and I would imagine a great program!
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
(08-28-2020, 03:21 PM)ThatBankDude Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 03:18 PM)MrBossmanJr Wrote:

I would recommend UC Berkeley and their MIDS program. Great school and I would imagine a great program!

OoO, that looks interesting as well.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gardner-Webb University: 10-12 month online MBA? PaperAssistant 7 199 04-18-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 712 04-18-2024, 11:46 AM
Last Post: MichiganMax
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 22 1,858 04-15-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: klone
  Opinions on Master's International University of Divinity isaachunter 19 6,103 04-14-2024, 07:55 AM
Last Post: isaachunter
  Fitchburg State University - MBA in Finance Spaceghost 7 493 04-06-2024, 01:04 PM
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 33 7,315 04-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 369 03-28-2024, 12:40 AM
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,638 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 662 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Hellenic American University MBA: Overview of $3K RA MBA PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 90 14,289 03-06-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: lidel