Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eastern University
(08-27-2020, 06:56 PM)eleverson Wrote:
(08-16-2020, 11:49 AM)eleverson Wrote:
(08-15-2020, 07:51 PM)AwardTour Wrote:
(08-15-2020, 07:29 PM)eleverson Wrote:
(08-15-2020, 01:47 PM)AwardTour Wrote: Thanks for the update. I agree with you, Eastern University seems to have good customer service. I emailed some questions to two different departments, admissions and financial aid. Both departments emailed me a response to answer my questions on the same day.

I'm happy to say that I was accepted in the program and will sign up for my classes on Monday! Yippie!

Congrats! I am curious to know if there are proctored exams or not. I am not opposed to proctored exams and I have done many of them. Eastern University told me there are not any proctored exams, but another person here said that the platform they use has video capture built-in (implying some type of proctoring even if it is not a live proctor i.e. Study.com). 

I would appreciate hearing those types of details and any other thoughts you wish to share. I won't be starting the program for another 5 to 6 months. 

Good Luck!

No problem, I will be happy to share my journey about the program. I was told the same thing that there is not a proctor for exams. I will be able to tell you more about how things go once I start classes. Will keep you posted.
I just received my syllabus and this is what it states when it comes to exams: Additionally, you will need a webcam to take the exams.  We will use proctoring software that requires a webcam so we can ensure academic integrity.
Grading 
Exams (100%)
Following most modules, you will take an exam through Brightspace.  We will be using proctoring software to assure academic integrity, so be sure to take your exams in a quiet, distraction-free environment.  The software will record you as you take your exam, and will track eye movement, so please behave accordingly.

You will be required to earn 80% on each exam before proceeding to subsequent material; however, you will be able to take the exams repeatedly until you earn 80%.

Exams will consist of multiple choice, short answer, and fill in the blank questions.  You will be expected to answer theoretical questions, solve calculations by hand, and answer questions related to relevant lab assignments.

Thanks for the update. It sounds like OldManOfTheSea is correct, there is proctoring. This is odd, I told Eastern University that I will be traveling internationally and that I wanted to make sure that they were okay with the idea of their students traveling outside of the USA while taking classes with them (unlike WGU unless you are in the military). They told me it is not a problem and that they have an American who is an English teacher currently in Korea taking their program. 

My next question was asking about their flexibility on scheduling for taking proctored exams. They told me not to worry as they "do not have proctored exams". Now, based on your own updated info, it sounds like there is some sort of proctoring even if it is not a live proctor. I don't have a problem with this but, I wish they would have clarified. 

Anyways, please feel free to share any other info here or start a new thread if you wish. Either way, thanks for the info you have shared so far.
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)
(08-29-2020, 10:03 PM)AwardTour Wrote:
(08-15-2020, 07:51 PM)AwardTour Wrote:
(08-15-2020, 07:29 PM)eleverson Wrote: I'm happy to say that I was accepted in the program and will sign up for my classes on Monday! Yippie!

Congrats! I am curious to know if there are proctored exams or not. I am not opposed to proctored exams and I have done many of them. Eastern University told me there are not any proctored exams, but another person here said that the platform they use has video capture built-in (implying some type of proctoring even if it is not a live proctor i.e. Study.com). 

I would appreciate hearing those types of details and any other thoughts you wish to share. I won't be starting the program for another 5 to 6 months. 

Good Luck!

No problem, I will be happy to share my journey about the program. I was told the same thing that there is not a proctor for exams. I will be able to tell you more about how things go once I start classes. Will keep you posted.
I just received my syllabus and this is what it states when it comes to exams: Additionally, you will need a webcam to take the exams.  We will use proctoring software that requires a webcam so we can ensure academic integrity.
Grading 
Exams (100%)
Following most modules, you will take an exam through Brightspace.  We will be using proctoring software to assure academic integrity, so be sure to take your exams in a quiet, distraction-free environment.  The software will record you as you take your exam, and will track eye movement, so please behave accordingly.

You will be required to earn 80% on each exam before proceeding to subsequent material; however, you will be able to take the exams repeatedly until you earn 80%.

Exams will consist of multiple choice, short answer, and fill in the blank questions.  You will be expected to answer theoretical questions, solve calculations by hand, and answer questions related to relevant lab assignments.

Thanks for the update. It sounds like OldManOfTheSea is correct, there is proctoring. This is odd, I told Eastern University that I will be traveling internationally and that I wanted to make sure that they were okay with the idea of their students traveling outside of the USA while taking classes with them (unlike WGU unless you are in the military). They told me it is not a problem and that they have an American who is an English teacher currently in Korea taking their program. 

My next question was asking about their flexibility on scheduling for taking proctored exams. They told me not to worry as they "do not have proctored exams". Now, based on your own updated info, it sounds like there is some sort of proctoring even if it is not a live proctor. I don't have a problem with this but, I wish they would have clarified. 

Anyways, please feel free to share any other info here or start a new thread if you wish. Either way, thanks for the info you have shared so far.

I agree they were not completely transparent on how the exam taking work which is still proctoring. Just not live proctoring. The whole eye movement detection from a software seems like it can do a lot of false perceptions. I'm not totally happy about this but will move forward with it and let you know the outcome of this experience.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eleverson's post:
  • AwardTour
I applied shortly after this program was shared here (thanks again @Sparklette!), been accepted
- now hoping to secure some funding through my employer (fingers crossed).
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 2 users Like allvia's post:
  • AwardTour, suzycupcake
(08-30-2020, 08:46 AM)eleverson Wrote:
(08-15-2020, 07:51 PM)AwardTour Wrote: Congrats! I am curious to know if there are proctored exams or not. I am not opposed to proctored exams and I have done many of them. Eastern University told me there are not any proctored exams, but another person here said that the platform they use has video capture built-in (implying some type of proctoring even if it is not a live proctor i.e. Study.com). 

Good Luck!

Grading 
Exams (100%)

I agree they were not completely transparent on how the exam taking work which is still proctoring. Just not live proctoring. The whole eye movement detection from a software seems like it can do a lot of false perceptions. I'm not totally happy about this but will move forward with it and let you know the outcome of this experience.

I would like to provide feedback about the test. I have taken several graded quizzes without being proctored of any sort. They allow you to take it at this time until you pass with at least a 80%. I love love love the lectures broken down in mini videos. The professor do demos that you can follow and break down technical things in simply terms.
[-] The following 3 users Like eleverson's post:
  • allvia, AwardTour, suzycupcake
(09-16-2020, 08:49 PM)eleverson Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 08:46 AM)eleverson Wrote:
(08-16-2020, 11:49 AM)eleverson Wrote: No problem, I will be happy to share my journey about the program. I was told the same thing that there is not a proctor for exams. I will be able to tell you more about how things go once I start classes. Will keep you posted.
Grading 
Exams (100%)

I would like to provide feedback about the test. I have taken several graded quizzes without being proctored of any sort. They allow you to take it at this time until you pass with at least a 80%. I love love love the lectures broken down in mini videos. The professor do demos that you can follow and break down technical things in simply terms.

Each course is expected to take 7 weeks, is that correct? I wonder what happens if you fall behind or life gets in the way? I think the quickest you can complete the program is in 10 months. I will need to email them to ask what the maximum time limits are for each course.
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)
(09-16-2020, 08:49 PM)eleverson Wrote: I would like to provide feedback about the test. I have taken several graded quizzes without being proctored of any sort. They allow you to take it at this time until you pass with at least a 80%. I love love love the lectures broken down in mini videos. The professor do demos that you can follow and break down technical things in simply terms.

I'd love to hear more about your experiences at Eastern! Are you happy overall with the program? I am thinking about signing up for the January term and am looking for all the info I can get.
kalilee Wrote:I'd love to hear more about your experiences at Eastern! Are you happy overall with the program? I am thinking about signing up for the January term and am looking for all the info I can get.

That's cool, what was your undergrad in? MS Data Science is a great option especially since I'm into that subject, but my undergrad major is slightly different.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-20-2020, 01:57 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
kalilee Wrote:I'd love to hear more about your experiences at Eastern! Are you happy overall with the program? I am thinking about signing up for the January term and am looking for all the info I can get.

That's cool, what was your undergrad in?  MS Data Science is a great option especially since I'm into that subject, but my undergrad major is slightly different.

My undergrad was in mathematics, but I have a light background when it comes to programming.
(10-20-2020, 01:41 PM)kalilee Wrote:
(09-16-2020, 08:49 PM)eleverson Wrote: I would like to provide feedback about the test. I have taken several graded quizzes without being proctored of any sort. They allow you to take it at this time until you pass with at least a 80%. I love love love the lectures broken down in mini videos. The professor do demos that you can follow and break down technical things in simply terms.

I'd love to hear more about your experiences at Eastern! Are you happy overall with the program? I am thinking about signing up for the January term and am looking for all the info I can get.

The school beat my expectations in many ways! The school is more like a community and you don't feel distant like I have in other online programs. Last night, we had a meet and greet with the professors and students for the 2nd term. I thought that was so cool. We were able to ask our professor questions and get to know other students. You will always get zoom invites to programs they have. For example, I will be attending a Winter Music Festival
[-] The following 1 user Likes eleverson's post:
  • kalilee
(10-20-2020, 02:11 PM)eleverson Wrote: The school beat my expectations in many ways! The school is more like a community and you don't feel distant like I have in other online programs. Last night, we had a meet and greet with the professors and students for the 2nd term. I thought that was so cool. We were able to ask our professor questions and get to know other students. You will always get zoom invites to programs they have. For example, I will be attending a Winter Music Festival

Wow, that sounds pretty cool! After doing some more research, I decided to apply today. We'll see how that goes!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 245 Yesterday, 12:40 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 15 1,074 03-27-2024, 09:18 AM
Last Post: PaperAssistant
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 277 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,460 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 548 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,849 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Hellenic American University MBA: Overview of $3K RA MBA PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 90 13,977 03-06-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: lidel
  Eastern Illinois University. wildebeest 42 6,363 03-04-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign MichaelDoesMarketing 35 3,317 03-03-2024, 04:25 PM
Last Post: rayray1000
  MBA from Hellenic American University (HAU) allvia 111 16,303 03-03-2024, 12:58 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy