Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ed.D. question
I’m a high school teacher. Years ago, I began an Ed.D. program right after finishing my master’s. I finished all of the coursework, and passed my comprehensive examination. About a year or so into the dissertation process, I decided to switch to an Ed.S. program, earn that degree, and be done with school. I was worn out. As of late, I’ve been contemplating going back to finish the Ed.D. It won’t give me much more on the pay scale for my K-12 school district, but it could possibly help in the part-time adjunct job search. As a side-bar, in addition to teaching in the K-12 sector, I also held a part-time position teaching undergrad for five years. I was let go after course availability decreased, and I haven’t been able to land another adjunct job since then, even though I have an Ed.S. degree. There are a few things that make me apprehensive about attempting round two of an Ed.D. program. I don’t want to start over or take additional classes that I’ve already taken. I can’t pay out of pocket. I’ve already accumulated much student loan debt, and I’m not going to put myself in more debt.
Any thoughts or input would be appreciated. Thanks
I would highly recommend checking out the University of the Cumberlands. They have a very generous transfer policy, if you have credits (or a degree) above and beyond a qualifying masters. Its not quite an ABD completion program, but about as close as you'll likely get to that at an institution that also accepts Title IV funding.
I would strongly recommend not attending University of the Cumberlands as they have a horrible reputation. I would recommend the American College of Education - they are the same price as Cumberlands & actually accept twice as many transfer credits into their EdD than Cumberlands (18 vs 9).

http://www.ace.edu
BABA, New England College, 2019
(05-01-2020, 02:12 PM)harrypotter Wrote: I would strongly recommend not attending  University of the Cumberlands as they have a horrible reputation. I would recommend the American College of Education - they are the same price as Cumberlands & actually accept twice the amount transfer credits into their EdD than Cumberlands (18 vs 9).

I agree: "Accelerated Completion: Students who have an Ed.S. degree or are all-but-dissertation (ABD) can complete their Ed.D. degree in 37 semester credits."

That sounds good.

These look good very customizable and there are four options plus concentrations in each.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • harrypotter
I'm getting lazy, here's a link to a link *haha*... It has both the recommendations of a ACE and Cumberlands, however; my recommendation is the ACE option.  

My previous thread post link (yes, another link): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...D-programs

And in regards to getting the MBA, I'm all for it! Go get em cowboy!  Link: https://www.degreeinfo.com/index.php?thr...mba.57091/
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-01-2020, 04:03 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I'm getting lazy, here's a link to a link *haha*... It has both the recommendations of a ACE and Cumberlands, however; my recommendation is the ACE option.  

My previous thread post link (yes, another link): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...D-programs

And in regards to getting the MBA, I'm all for it! Go get em cowboy!  Link: https://www.degreeinfo.com/index.php?thr...mba.57091/

Are they both the same person? One works in healthcare the other is a teacher.
(05-01-2020, 02:12 PM)harrypotter Wrote: I would strongly recommend not attending University of the Cumberlands as they have a horrible reputation. I would recommend the American College of Education - they are the same price as Cumberlands & actually accept twice as many transfer credits into their EdD than Cumberlands (18 vs 9).

ACE was first on my mind, however, the OP noted that " I can’t pay out of pocket." and ACE doesn't participate in Title IV funding: "ACE is unique in higher education because while we are fully eligible to accept Title IV funding, we choose not to. Why? Because not accepting Title IV helps keep our costs — our students’ costs — as low as possible." (https://www.ace.edu/tuition-and-admissio...on-details)

UoC is RA and very affordable. I'd love to hear anything you have to offer about their "horrible reputation," as I've not come across that and have been considering their PhD program myself.
[-] The following 2 users Like DeanLewis's post:
  • SophiaPrincess, ss20ts
Natshar, I think so, 50/50 - I'm ready to toss that coin, we'll find out soon enough... *fingers not crossed*
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • natshar
(05-01-2020, 05:32 PM)DeanLewis Wrote: UoC is RA and very affordable. I'd love to hear anything you have to offer about their "horrible reputation," as I've not come across that and have been considering their PhD program myself.

I would as well. I am considering Cumberlands for their Ph.D. in Leadership if I don't get into a Ph.D. in CS somewhere else, so it would be helpful to understand where that statement is coming from.

I know a few people from WGU who are currently undertaking a Leadership PhD or DBA program at Cumberlands. I've asked several people on other forums about their experiences at UoC and none of them have had anything bad to say about it, but that isn't a very large sample set. Of course, I believe we have at least one person on this form (Steve Foerster) who is currently in their Leadership Ph.D. program. Perhaps he will chime in with his personal experience (assuming he's paying attention to this topic).

Obviously, the business programs are not the same as their education programs so it may not be a 1:1 comparison, but I would expect that the overall process and student experience should probably be fairly similar across all their doctoral programs.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • SophiaPrincess, ss20ts
I had never heard of UoC outside of this forum.

That's not a bad reputation, that's no reputation... Which is the majority of schools outside of the elite tier.

I'd also like to hear more about this supposed bad rep.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • SophiaPrincess