Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EdX MIT and Harvard Team Up for New Offerings
(10-03-2018, 04:29 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote:
(10-03-2018, 07:59 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Harvard and MIT (as a team) started edX, and MIT has said publicly many times that they want their to work towards a degree at schools besides MIT- this is them actually doing what they said they would do!!  I am so in love with the Micromaster's concept- I think it's a win/win for students.  
You get an alternative CHEAP online at home opportunity to take ivy classes - if you hate them/they are hard/you fail- no paper trail.  Zero.  If you succeed, then to the next level you go!  It's a meritocracy, which is my favorite kind of opportunity.  Everyone enters from the same door, but those who work the hardest get to leave through a special one holding a master's degree from an ivy university.
Edit- this is the first time Harvard has done this, no doubt after watching MIT's Supply Chain program launch, and maybe feeling a little peer pressure... but if this goes well, imagine a whole catalog via this model.  I'm super excited!

This sounds excellent to me.  The question is will Corporations and Big Government accepts this Micromasters?  That is still the unknown.......

Well, the way I see it, the Micromaster's is nice, but the gold is in the degree. Keep in mind the Micromaster's isn't graduate credit (technically it's just a professional development cert) so if someone were to *just* want the cert, I think it would be a nice accomplishment if you already have a master's- but for someone really looking to "hack" the process, you save the most money and get the most bang for your buck when you roll the Micromaster's into a Master's at the ivy. Think of it as passing a CLEP exam. You *have* credit, but you don't have a transcript or a degree, and really on its own it isn't worth much. I remember that feeling when I had >50 credits but hadn't done my AA yet - same idea.

What I don't know- and it kinda matters- is at what point your Micromaster's becomes graduate credit. Clearly this would differ by school, but is it when you apply? (Cool, then you have a transcript!) Is it your last credit applied to your degree? (Ugh) Is it after a semester? After..... what/when?

People who already have a masters and teach (I'm in that category) are always looking for sets of 18 graduate credits to add a new teaching area, so in theory, a person might be able to do this very affordable by doing a Micromasters and then rolling it into an 18 credit transcript....depending on a million variables of course.

I have my eye on 2 of them right now- as soon as my life calms down I'm going to pursue one or both. What I NEED is a set of 18 in hospitality, I'd love to do it via the Micromaster's without dumping money into another degree or paying rack rate for grad credit!
Some will and some won't like any other non-degree. However, if you follow the program all the way into an actual master's degree, then anyone should accept it.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • warriortaupou