Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finishing Degree for OCS
I'm new to this forum, so I thought I'd seek some help from those of you that have been there.

I'm looking to finish my degree with the intnent to join the National Guard as an officer. I have always had a passion to serve, but for various reasons I never "bit the bullet." I'm in my mid-twenties and have approx. 20-hours of B&M credits. I would like to spend the next 10-12 months completing my degree by testing (CLEP,DSST,etc). I am well established and have a great job working for a large corporation. However, this is something I've always wanted to do.

My question to you all: since a majority of my transcript will by PASS/FAIL with CLEP and no real grade, and with no prior service, what are my chances of being accepted to/getting a commission through OCS?

Thanks for any input.

Erik
Many other factors will determine your eligibility. Which branch of the Guard? Air or Army? What field are you trying to get into? How much do you weigh? Any medical issues? Do you have credit or criminal history issues?

If you are shooting for the Army guard you should have an easy time as they are constantly recruiting and always seem to be hurting for people. The Air Guard is harder to get into since the Air Force takes much better care of their people.

Take a look at the Coast Guard they have a much better organization than most people realize. In fact if you go active duty you can apply to be an officer with only an AA after just a couple of years.

BA/Liberal Studies, TESC 2011
AAS/Applied Electronic Studies, TESC 2010

They will not care about most of the credits being pass/fail. Also, if you look hard enough, I believe you'll find there is actually no minimum GPA required.
cardsfan21 Wrote:I'm new to this forum, so I thought I'd seek some help from those of you that have been there.

I'm looking to finish my degree with the intnent to join the National Guard as an officer. I have always had a passion to serve, but for various reasons I never "bit the bullet." I'm in my mid-twenties and have approx. 20-hours of B&M credits. I would like to spend the next 10-12 months completing my degree by testing (CLEP,DSST,etc). I am well established and have a great job working for a large corporation. However, this is something I've always wanted to do.

My question to you all: since a majority of my transcript will by PASS/FAIL with CLEP and no real grade, and with no prior service, what are my chances of being accepted to/getting a commission through OCS?

Thanks for any input.

Erik

If I remember correctly from my old recruiting days, your degree doesn't matter. As long as you have official transcripts from a regionally accredited college/university that says you have been awarded a Bachelors or higher degree. I don't think the GPA will matter either. If you already have about 20 SH from B&M, then you will probably have an "overall" GPA if you decide to go with Excelsior for example. If you go with TESC for example, you will probably have to take at least one upper level course to meet the UL requirements. So that will also give you a GPA with that school.

Once you have that, then you will have to meet with the recruiters so they can make sure you are Physically, Morally, and Mentally qualified to join. Remember you have to qualify for a clearance if you want to be an officer, so there will be an investigation on you when the time comes. After that you will have to write an essay paper on why you want to be selected and why you think you should be selected as an officer. (double check on this requirement) You will sit down for an interview with a panel of officers that will also critique your essay and bombard you with questions prior to your selection. (again double check this requirement) I'm sure there is more to this process but that is what I can remember right now.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
blu2blu Wrote:Many other factors will determine your eligibility. Which branch of the Guard? Air or Army? What field are you trying to get into? How much do you weigh? Any medical issues? Do you have credit or criminal history issues?

If you are shooting for the Army guard you should have an easy time as they are constantly recruiting and always seem to be hurting for people. The Air Guard is harder to get into since the Air Force takes much better care of their people.

Take a look at the Coast Guard they have a much better organization than most people realize. In fact if you go active duty you can apply to be an officer with only an AA after just a couple of years.

Just to build on this as I am active duty Coast Guard we are shedding people currently and the odds of getting in when we are hiring is something like 8% and will be even lower now. Anyway, if active duty with 4+ years in and E-5 or above you only need 30 credits to be eligible for commissioning. If you are active duty but haven't been in for 4+ years and E-5+ you have to have a BA/BS.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nuclear Associates Degree natshar 20 4,756 10-02-2021, 03:04 PM
Last Post: Insert Name
  AF Commission with TESU Degree TESUAF 15 4,349 08-30-2019, 02:14 PM
Last Post: Sagan
  Earning a Degree as a Nuclear ET natshar 3 2,034 09-15-2018, 09:47 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Degree for free jshzglr 26 8,996 12-03-2017, 05:03 PM
Last Post: 22gunsonfire
  Picking college for IT after finishing CCAF riderofdirt 5 4,746 06-26-2017, 08:26 PM
Last Post: retire2018
  My Degree Path dposborne 7 2,830 02-24-2015, 12:06 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  How to get a signed degree plan from TESC for MilTA? (USAF) OfficerA 6 1,970 08-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Last Post: bricabrac
  TESC Management Degree/Aviation Maintenance Degree jeff080 4 1,303 02-03-2013, 09:02 PM
Last Post: jeff080
  Earning a degree entirely through military training, is it possible? Sidewinder2N 11 2,573 01-26-2013, 12:30 AM
Last Post: bldclot2
  TESC Military Degree Completion Program Change Prloko 2 1,045 10-19-2012, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Prloko