Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Educational Studies Minor
Hi everyone! I have decided to finish my bachelor's at UMPI. I was just admitted for the BLS with Educational Studies Minor for the July 5 session. So 1) Hi, looking forward to connecting with other students. I didn't finish my degree 15 years ago with everyone else in my class, so I am super excited to finally be doing it after years and years of shame and regret! And 2) I have a question:

I will be transferring in a ton of credits from a 4 year (close to 120 including AP credits, though I haven't received my transfer evaluation yet or even been assigned an advisor), so I think most of my requirements will be met. I will, however, need to take all of the minor requirements. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this minor and can let me know what the classes are like? Is it too much to hope to finish them in one session? I see from some other threads that I'll need to complete at least 30 creds at UMPI to graduate. My dream is to finish this all in one session, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I am very confident in my ability as a student, and am familiar with the content as I have actually been working as a teacher internationally for the last 7 years. And as it will be summer vacation for me, I will have 100% of my time to dedicate to studying.

Thoughts? Advice? Well wishes?  Rolleyes

*edit*
Just found a similar thread here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...dies-minor
You won't be able to complete this degree in 1 term. All of the courses aren't offered in every term so you'll need Summer 2 and Fall 1 at the minimum. Every course has been offered every semester so far. There's 2 terms in every semester.

Yes, you will need to complete a minimum of 30 credits at UMPI. Additionally, you'll need to complete a minimum of UL courses at UMPI. Your advisor will let you know how many UL courses you need to complete there. We can't say that you've completed most of your requirements without knowing courses you've previously completed. If you've already applied, then it will be a few weeks before your transcripts are evaluated. Once they are, you'll be able to see online in your student account what they have accepted and what requirements you've filled. They'll also mail you a hard copy printed on bright orange paper. Your advisor will email you a degree plan form which will show what courses you've completed that are required for the degree and what you have left to complete at UMPI.
(05-28-2021, 12:11 AM)ss20ts Wrote: You won't be able to complete this degree in 1 term. All of the courses aren't offered in every term so you'll need Summer 2 and Fall 1 at the minimum. Every course has been offered every semester so far. There's 2 terms in every semester.

Yes, you will need to complete a minimum of 30 credits at UMPI. Additionally, you'll need to complete a minimum of UL courses at UMPI. Your advisor will let you know how many UL courses you need to complete there. We can't say that you've completed most of your requirements without knowing courses you've previously completed. If you've already applied, then it will be a few weeks before your transcripts are evaluated. Once they are, you'll be able to see online in your student account what they have accepted and what requirements you've filled. They'll also mail you a hard copy printed on bright orange paper. Your advisor will email you a degree plan form which will show what courses you've completed that are required for the degree and what you have left to complete at UMPI.
Great, thanks for the info! Yeah, I'm just assuming based on evals from TESU and Excelsior that it'll be between 110-120 creds with all but one or two reqs met. I basically finished a degree at NYU except needed a few more courses for a politics major. But going back there would cost me nearly 30k that i just don't feel is worth it at this point Smile
If you're so close to a degree at Excelsior/TESU, are you going with them are with UMPI and the BLS Education Minor? I would recommend going with the one that is "easiest" to finish vs the cost. As you can "make up" the cost with a raise or if you change positions to another career, etc. See which degree option would be better for ROI & Value...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-30-2021, 10:34 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: If you're so close to a degree at Excelsior/TESU, are you going with them are with UMPI and the BLS Education Minor?  I would recommend going with the one that is "easiest" to finish vs the cost.   As you can "make up" the cost with a raise or if you change positions to another career, etc.   See which degree option would be better for ROI & Value...
Hey, thanks for the advice. Yes, I've basically decided to go with UMPI because of the cost. Even if it takes two terms, it will still be less than the cost of doing it at TESU or Excelsior. I'm also genuinely interested in the Educational Studies minor as I am a teacher already (the rules are a bit lax abroad ?).
Hi, I'm currently doing the EDU minor so maybe I can provide a little insight. I've been steadily working through and only have two edu minor requirements left. I've been fulfilling my upper elective requirements with the 300/400 HTY/POS courses. The EDU courses all require a combination of assignments for their finals. The first two EDU classes also require a minimum of 20 hours of field experience which you can complete by watching the videos they recommend. Other than that it's been philosophy statements, lesson plans, unit plans, power points, essays, and a classroom management plan. I would think if you're already in an educational job that it should be a manageable work load. I'm cheering for your success in your degree!
(06-01-2021, 06:07 AM)portia8 Wrote: Hi, I'm currently doing the EDU minor so maybe I can provide a little insight. I've been steadily working through and only have two edu minor requirements left. I've been fulfilling my upper elective requirements with the 300/400 HTY/POS courses. The EDU courses all require a combination of assignments for their finals. The first two EDU classes also require a minimum of 20 hours of field experience which you can complete by watching the videos they recommend. Other than that it's been philosophy statements, lesson plans, unit plans, power points, essays, and a classroom management plan. I would think if you're already in an educational job that it should be a manageable work load. I'm cheering for your success in your degree!

How difficult are the 300/400 HTY/POS courses, and how are the courses structured? I am genuinely curious as I am considering doing the HTY/POS major at UMPI. Which courses have you taken so far?
(06-01-2021, 06:07 AM)portia8 Wrote: Hi, I'm currently doing the EDU minor so maybe I can provide a little insight. I've been steadily working through and only have two edu minor requirements left. I've been fulfilling my upper elective requirements with the 300/400 HTY/POS courses. The EDU courses all require a combination of assignments for their finals. The first two EDU classes also require a minimum of 20 hours of field experience which you can complete by watching the videos they recommend. Other than that it's been philosophy statements, lesson plans, unit plans, power points, essays, and a classroom management plan. I would think if you're already in an educational job that it should be a manageable work load. I'm cheering for your success in your degree!

Thanks for the info, and good luck! Smile
Any updates on how this is going for you? I am looking to do the same thing, though I don't have as many credits to transfer at the moment. Also, for field experience, I wonder if subbing would count. I have been a sub in the same school almost daily for last two school years. I do a LOT of work and not just sitting staring at my phone being sure kids don't kill each other. The teachers request me consistently and would gladly write me letters of recommendation for something like that.
Is there any presentations that need to  be completed for any of the education classes? I am looking into this program because I have been in the education field for 12 years and am currently still, but I don't have anyway to do a presentation with individuals. Also is it possible to complete all the education course requirements in 1 term or are they not all offered at the same time? I am looking to complete all 10 courses in 1 term if possible.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BLS with a minor in Information Systems or BBA PM & IS ZO10 21 685 03-25-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI BLS Minor Business theea 5 258 03-20-2024, 02:41 PM
  Completed! BAS Minor in Info Systems & Project Management mohelena02 4 412 02-25-2024, 07:14 PM
  Umpi BLS educational studies minor VincentB 1 199 02-20-2024, 04:09 AM
  BLS Management Minor Degree Plan mohelena02 3 250 02-18-2024, 12:42 PM
  UMPI B.A.S MIS minor Eligibility Question Nobi 7 484 02-17-2024, 02:31 PM
  major/minor question ouiarenotamuzed 2 388 01-30-2024, 04:32 PM
Last Post: ouiarenotamuzed
  UMPI Bachelor of liberal studies-management minor - Start to finish in 5 months Federicojavier 61 11,500 12-30-2023, 11:22 AM
  Mayday! One more course for History minor: what are my options? Junco 5 428 12-03-2023, 07:36 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Job seeking with bls with management and project management minor bvndz 9 1,179 11-27-2023, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Duneranger