Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Edx to launch a bunch of graduate programs soon.
SUPER exciting. I love the Micromaster concept- in fact, I am toying with the idea of doing one or having one of my sons do it (you don't need to have a bachelor's finished). It's not grad credit as a stand-alone though, so as-is, the utility is probably limited. The programs that have the articulation agreement (not all do) will give you grad credit for your micromasters, but you still have to apply/get accepted and presumably start the program to get it "on a transcript" as grad credit. These edx graduate programs they want to launch WOULD be grad credit straight out of the gate as I understand, and that's awesome. As some mentioned, Coursera is doing this already, but I expect edX's participation might make for some interesting competition for programs and price. I *think* and maybe someone else can say, but the degrees don't say coursera/edX, they say the university that you actually get the degree from- anyone know for sure?
Yes the micromasters are like HES for more subjects and now at a dramatically lower cost.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(07-12-2018, 11:58 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: @bjcheung I know the limit thing is crazy. Which is why I want to weigh my options before I graduate, right now I'm finishing up the BALS just to 'tick the box'...but for a technical degree I'm really worried. I dont want to waste it on the LDAS when 'engineering' ABET or not would look better on the resume and help me with grad school. I would finish the Comp Sci but to be honest Comp Sci bores me a little I like electronics. I'm still undecided right now I'm doing generic technical courses algebra, trig, precalc, calc I, II, III, discrete math, stats, linear algebra, phys I, phys II, bio, chem, programming etc like courses I know will fit into all the programs I've looked at. The more I think about it, the more COSC engineering studies looks like the better candidate. I would do the comp sci or ESET at TESU since the tution is relatively low for those programs but some of the grad schools I looked at specifically ask for engineering not engineering tech...So I dont think comp sci will work.

I figure over the next year I'll just get myself ready with all the general prereqs and then decide, cause in the tech and EE domain it seems some new options are opening up!

Wouldn't a concentration in engineering studies be worse than an ABET-accredited degree in engineering technology? Graduate schools would look at your COSC transcript and know that you didn't complete an engineering degree.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Just wanted to point out that some programs offer a straight shot to a masters. Each one is different so you have analyze each micromasters individually but the UMUC Instructional Design and Technology let's you:
"Learners who successfully earn the MicroMasters Credential are eligible to transition into the Master’s program in Learning Design and Technology at the University of Maryland University College (UMUC). This program is fully online and offers open enrollment (no testing, no application needed; learners are automatically accepted).

The Instructional Design and Technology MicroMasters certificate will count for 12 credits toward the full Master’s degree (36 credits are required for graduation with the MS in Learning Design and Technology degree)."

https://www.edx.org/micromasters/instruc...technology
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
@sanatone yes I know but there is more flexibility to target the courses grad schools are looking for instead of wasting time with the fundamental courses; I can do the UL courses required as prerequisuites and focus on extra math courses etc that I really need so I can do only the more challenging UL coures I will really learn from instead of paying money to study fundamental EE courses I already covered on my own. And it would list 'Engineering' not 'Engineering Technology' . Some EEs wont respect you as much with the 'technology' background but may give in to non ABET for some jobs based on what I read. If I could afford the time and had the money I would def. do AMU EE program cause it is very quality...
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(07-12-2018, 01:29 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Just wanted to point out that some programs offer a straight shot to a masters. Each one is different so you have analyze each micromasters individually but the UMUC Instructional Design and Technology let's you:
"Learners who successfully earn the MicroMasters Credential are eligible to transition into the Master’s program in Learning Design and Technology at the University of Maryland University College (UMUC). This program is fully online and offers open enrollment (no testing, no application needed; learners are automatically accepted).

The Instructional Design and Technology MicroMasters certificate will count for 12 credits toward the full Master’s degree (36 credits are required for graduation with the MS in Learning Design and Technology degree)."

Thanks for this info. If you complete all 36 credits of that specific masters, do you know how much it would cost? And are those courses user-friendly with the platform?

Thank you!
I emailed RIT here is what they told me:

Hello Armstrong,

We are delighted in your interest to learn how to use your Algorithms and Data Structures MicroMasters certificate as a foundation for graduate study at RIT.

Great Questions!

The cost to finish the master degree with RIT is $1,081 per credit. You would have 21 credits in order to complete the degree so that comes to $22,701. This does not take into account a 2-4% increase in tuition each academic year.

The MicroMasters is not worth any credits towards another degree at another college. You would only get credit towards the MS in Professional Studies at RIT.

Please let me know if you have additional questions. I’m happy to assist you!
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)

[-] The following 1 user Likes armstrongsubero's post:
  • High_Order1
(07-12-2018, 02:55 PM)acamp Wrote:
(07-12-2018, 01:29 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Just wanted to point out that some programs offer a straight shot to a masters. Each one is different so you have analyze each micromasters individually but the UMUC Instructional Design and Technology let's you:

Thanks for this info. If you complete all 36 credits of that specific masters, do you know how much it would cost? And are those courses user-friendly with the platform?

Thank you!
I was just providing that as an example to check individual programs. I don't know anything about their specific classes and platform.

Graduate tuition is $459 instate and $659 out of state.(not bad I think).

http://www.umuc.edu/current-students/fin...l-2018.cfm
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Yeah, some grad tuition isn't bad - There are a few programs for $10,000 or so.
Here: https://www.edx.org/micromasters/doanex-...nistration
Here: https://www.edx.org/micromasters/doanex-...-executive
Here: https://www.edx.org/masters/online-maste...orgia-tech
Second link: https://www.edx.org/micromasters/analyti...ls-methods
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(07-12-2018, 01:19 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: Yes the micromasters are like HES for more subjects and now at a dramatically lower cost.

No, the micromasters aren't worth graduate credit unless or until you apply to the college that awards credit for them. HES courses are all worth college credit and they offer degrees through the university directly. The micromasters are MOOCs.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graduate Discounts (ENEB, Walden, etc) ashkir 24 21,198 03-27-2024, 01:03 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 893 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Graduate Schools that accept the most transfer credits sanantone 65 15,188 03-06-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Graduate transfer credits David1477 10 944 03-03-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 23 14,352 03-03-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  South College-CBE Programs JourneyMan 4 359 02-24-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  ENEB won't let me graduate and refusing to answer all emails and calls slayer35 41 4,475 02-20-2024, 10:20 PM
Last Post: William.H
  Open University Malaysia has PhD programs below 10k USD nyvrem 2 390 02-19-2024, 11:18 PM
Last Post: armado
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 524 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  List of free graduate credit udi 15 7,615 01-26-2024, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden