Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emergency Management Certificate - Community College (FREE)
Leedeedee Wrote:Is the 2nd option of Emergency Management Volunteer, just required to take the 12 listed FEMA courses or do they also have to take the English, History and CJ courses the other option requires?

For me, I was denied because I didn't have the US History requirement or an equivalent vocational class. I also think I needed ENC II as well. There was something else....
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

creditmonsoon Wrote:Can this help me find better jobs? I'm not sure if I want to devote my time to this.

If you are trying to get on with a place that places value in emergency management training and skills, I'd say yes. Otherwise, this is really for people who are established and would like a low-impact credential to broaden their demonstrated knowledge.

I take the opposite tack on the college degree.

There are many jobs that require at least 60 hours of college education as the first round scrub. So, yes, for me, getting a degree is going to open doors that were otherwise closed to me, even with a track history of employment and a *ton* of vocational training in my field.
Angel 
Three Rivers CC 2017

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

link

Well said and I agree with you!

High_Order1 Wrote:If you are trying to get on with a place that places value in emergency management training and skills, I'd say yes. Otherwise, this is really for people who are established and would like a low-impact credential to broaden their demonstrated knowledge.

There are many jobs that require at least 60 hours of college education as the first round scrub. So, yes, for me, getting a degree is going to open doors that were otherwise closed to me, even with a track history of employment and a *ton* of vocational training in my field.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Thank you for sharing.

High_Order1 Wrote:For me, I was denied because I didn't have the US History requirement or an equivalent vocational class. I also think I needed ENC II as well. There was something else....
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

If one had this, and a FEMA Emergency Managenemnt PDS, would a hiring manager really know that one required a lot more work than the other? I'm assuming they wouldn't look up every single certificate.
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

Its easier to look up.

•Professional Development Series (PDS) Certificate
Emergency Management Institute (EMI), Emmitsburg, MD
7 Courses, 38 Hours (3.8 CEUs)
https://training.fema.gov/is/searchis.aspx?search=PDS

They are both just one liners.

icampy Wrote:If one had this, and a FEMA Emergency Managenemnt PDS, would a hiring manager really know that one required a lot more work than the other? I'm assuming they wouldn't look up every single certificate.

Life Long Learning Wrote:Thank you for sharing.

Well...

I look at it this way. No one can say that everyone that applies for it gets it. That's a stronger endorsement than many programs I've been involved with.... hilarious

I'll get what he wants and hopefully resubmit before it disappears (I know NOTHING, just saying nothing is forever)

icampy

Most people in emergency management know what FEMA independent study is and assign a value correspondingly. On the other hand, the other certification is a diamond in the rough. I would see them weighing that credential more heavily, because it comes from a college.

I'm not certain what 'certificates' (as in, certificate in homeland security / em / etc) valuate at in the market right now. I've asked on here. I know they can't hurt, though. I intend to collect a few in my price range in case they are valuable at some point. (shrugs). None of this stuff beats having a relative in HR though, so it's all kinda relative.
Angel 
Three Rivers CC 2017

link

High_Order1 Wrote:If you are trying to get on with a place that places value in emergency management training and skills, I'd say yes. Otherwise, this is really for people who are established and would like a low-impact credential to broaden their demonstrated knowledge.

I'm trying to get into law enforcement. I have a civil service job as of now, but I took the police exam, in hopes that I will be in law enforcement later this year.
Thanks for the info, fellas.....makes sense!

I don't work in emergency management....I just like grabbing certs :-)

Although I am on the ERT at work and a NREMT EMR, and hopefully this year a EMT-B.
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

creditmonsoon Wrote:I'm trying to get into law enforcement. I have a civil service job as of now, but I took the police exam, in hopes that I will be in law enforcement later this year.

It has never been easier to get a job in law enforcement as it is right now. Having said that, going through the front door is the least successful. The best, fastest and most sure way to a job in law enforcement is to go get on their Reserves. This lets you know if it really is for you, without a multi-year investment. It lets them know who you are, and almost every hiring authority at the local level is going to hire a known quantity over some shmoe coming in the door.

Depending on what part of the country you're in, there are other things that can help or hurt you. For instance, sponsoring yourself through the police academy. Still, the most sure route lies in the reserves.

If you never listen to anything else I say on here, know this: I know how to get hired at police departments.

Having said all that, and telling you I bleed blue, for real, my helpful suggestion here is either really soul search your decision, or look into the fire service. They are a much, much better place to be as a career. Firefighters really have their shit together when it comes to scheduling, promotions, assignments. Police work - many places still wear the exact same cut of uniform shirt and pants you'll see on the Andy Griffith show from the 1960's. Maybe a high tech new fabric, but...
Angel 
Three Rivers CC 2017

link

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,538 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
Lightbulb ASU to Launch a Free Global Initiative and enroll 100 million students MNomadic 203 30,181 03-11-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,214 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,570 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,957 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
  Free or affordable Christian Chaplaincy Online Sowak777 4 466 02-21-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: The need 2 learn
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 250 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 520 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 410 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 746 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM