Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Employers don't care where you went to school, nor about your GPA...Atlantic article.
Caught this on Yahoo this morning. The article makes the argument that where you went to school (school reputation), GPA, and specific courses taken don't tend to matter much to hiring managers. It makes the case rather that the things you do outside of college matter a lot more. Internships (paid or unpaid), jobs held while in school, volunteering, and extracurricular have disproportionate importance once the basic's are covered (having a regionally accredited degree).

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/thing-empl...00059.html

""When employers do hire from college, the evidence suggests that academic skills are not their primary concern," says Peter Cappelli, a Wharton professor and the author of a new paper on job skills. "Work experience is the crucial attribute that employers want even for students who have yet to work full-time."

Before you retreat to the comment section and scream at me for saying that school, classes, and grades don't matter, let me say: I don't think this should be interpreted as a sign that schools, classes, and grades don't matter. Employers might not crave academic skills. But students often qualify for the "right" internships by getting good grades in relevant classes at challenging schools. In this calculation, a strong academic record buys you a strong experience record, so when an employer is evaluating your internships, he's indirectly evaluating your academic achievements, too."
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
When I was researching accounting internships for someone else, I found that they usually require a GPA of 3.0 or higher. It is difficult to get a job in accounting without an internship if you don't already have experience in bookkeeping or some other lower-level accounting job.

The school's reputation comes more into play with networking and using the school's career services. Large companies tend to recruit from the prestigious private schools and large state universities.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:When I was researching accounting internships for someone else, I found that they usually require a GPA of 3.0 or higher. It is difficult to get a job in accounting without an internship if you don't already have experience in bookkeeping or some other lower-level accounting job.

The school's reputation comes more into play with networking and using the school's career services. Large companies tend to recruit from the prestigious private schools and large state universities.
Oh there is no doubt it matters within specific jobs, I think engineering is another vocation that values both GPA and school reputation. But for the vast majority of us the importance is overblown.

My paramedic program required an 80% average or they would give you the boot from the program, attrition was high. GPA mattered a great deal and I saw folks leave the program over as little as 1/10 of a percent. You certainly need to know what your getting yourself into.

I posted this thinking of the folks that question the validity of a Big 3 degree or the lack of a GPA...for the vast majority assembled on this board these are largely moot points I suspect.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
If you already have experience and just need a "checkbox" degree, then GPA won't matter. As the article says, employers are indirectly measuring academic performance by looking at internship experience. The employers might not be looking at GPAs for regular job openings, but internships often do look at GPAs.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
A judge once said to me, "law school students with A's become professors, law school students with B's become judges, and law school students with C's become rich partners in law firms."

Are there times when a good GPA matters? Yes. Are there times when a degree from a "good" school matters? Yes. Both, however, are probably a lot less relevant than many people think.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
LaterBloomer Wrote:A judge once said to me, "law school students with A's become professors, law school students with B's become judges, and law school students with C's become rich partners in law firms."

Are there times when a good GPA matters? Yes. Are there times when a degree from a "good" school matters? Yes. Both, however, are probably a lot less relevant than many people think.

Witty but that sounds like a gross generalization. Besides judges are lawyers before they are judges so how did they graduate with C's and then later end up with B's after the fact?

LOL

I know...I know you are making a point.
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
soliloquy Wrote:...judges are lawyers before they are judges so how did they graduate with C's and then later end up with B's after the fact?
They didn't. I think this is how it works: The lawyers with B's move on to become judges. The lawyers with C's stay in the law firms, become long-term partners and get rich. Hey, isn't this on a CLEP somewhere? Or LSAT maybe? Smile I'll take that grain of truth with a grain of salt, please... Smile

Johann
If that judge were still alive, I suspect it would go something like, "law school students with A's become professors, law school students with B's become judges, and law school students with C's spend the rest of their lives paying off a useless degree."

Also, he was a judge. If he was perfect, there wouldn't be there wouldn't be appeal courts.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
Johann Wrote:They didn't. I think this is how it works: The lawyers with B's move on to become judges. The lawyers with C's stay in the law firms, become long-term partners and get rich. Hey, isn't this on a CLEP somewhere? Or LSAT maybe? Smile I'll take that grain of truth with a grain of salt, please... Smile

Johann

I might believe that if I didn't spend so much time with Judges. I'm still skeptical that some of them have legitimate JD's. lol
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
The professors with As are living the cushy life. They are some of the highest paid professors making around 6 figures. They may not be making over $200k like a very successful lawyer, but most lawyers aren't. At a research university, you can get away with teaching two courses per semester instead of spending 60-70 hours a week as a lawyer. I'd say they're smart. Judges also have a more cushy job than lawyers.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nicaragua seizes all assets from INCAE Business School elcastor21 0 306 09-26-2023, 04:55 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Found: $1,500 (TOTAL) At-own-pace Law School dcan 48 9,312 08-28-2023, 10:34 PM
Last Post: resistk
Question Poll: Just not sure what to major in for grad school and which direction to go! Randyb100 21 1,587 05-26-2023, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Randyb100
  Can I get a High School Diploma after getting my GED and Associates? IReallyNeedADegree 24 2,762 02-06-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  The middlemen of online higher ed article cardiacclep 0 428 12-31-2022, 01:27 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  To Want or Not Want Government Care? Kal Di 24 1,996 02-14-2022, 10:20 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  School Psychologists?? Vle045 3 921 01-21-2022, 03:22 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  U of Michigan removes School President bjcheung77 0 574 01-15-2022, 09:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Worst School Name Alpha 13 2,128 10-04-2021, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Marcus Aurelius
  Should taxpayers fund any and every choice in school and/or major? sanantone 14 1,692 08-19-2021, 01:19 PM
Last Post: sanantone