Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
English Comp 1/2 - SL or SDC?
Pros/Cons? I looked at some older threads for info. 

Can anyone who completed any of these recently shed any light on which provider you completed it with and how long it took to complete? 

I think I am going to have to end up completing both of these based on my eval. 

SL seems to have a lot more written assignments, although no proctored final and is essentially $20 cheaper per course. 
The negatives seem to be the grading. Is it better to do both through SDC?
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
I liked the SDC format. Not a huge fan of writing papers but SDC only required 3 from me. I think I was able to do all the quizzes and the final in under a week(did the papers some time later) with over 90%. Honestly if you do well enough on the quizzes and final then you won't have to do exceptionally well on the papers to get a passing grade. If you do need to bump up your grade, you can resubmit your papers a few times after making corrections to get a higher score.

One could probably write a "passing" paper in under a day each.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(10-03-2018, 06:31 PM)zzzz24 Wrote: Pros/Cons? I looked at some older threads for info. 

Can anyone who completed any of these recently shed any light on which provider you completed it with and how long it took to complete? 

I think I am going to have to end up completing both of these based on my eval. 

SL seems to have a lot more written assignments, although no proctored final and is essentially $20 cheaper per course. 
The negatives seem to be the grading. Is it better to do both through SDC?

I've taken English Comp courses from both providers. 

If you're already pretty strong in academic writing and just need the credit without much handholding, then go for whichever one is cheaper for you. If you have a coupon for SL, that will probably be the most economical.

If you are already an ok academic writer but want to avoid extra writing, then SDC may be a better choice. SDC has less writing but more quizzes.

If you are not confident in your writing ability or feel that you need additional help with making sure you really get academic writing, then go for the SL instructor-led version of the courses. They're a bit more expensive, but the additional instruction and support is totally worth it.

Grading wise, they're pretty similar on the surface. If you're taking the default version of the SL courses, the grading can be inconsistent in following the rubric and such. I found that the SDC graders are slightly better, but not that much more so.

However, if you take the teacher-led SL courses, then the grading is spot-on to the rubric since the instructor that teaches the course also grades the papers. You can also work with the teacher to improve the draft versions before final submission. But, with the SDC courses, you can resubmit a paper based on the grader's comments to try and earn a higher score if needed.

Lastly, while both courses have quizzes along the way (SDC has a lot more quizzes than SL), only the SDC course has a proctored final exam (as you mentioned).

So really it comes down to your preferences. Personally, I recommend people take English Comp I with SL using the teacher-led version to make sure you have a solid understanding of the academic writing process. From there you can make the decision as to whether you're okay with doing English Comp II more on your own (via SDC or non-teacher-led SL) or if you want to work with the instructor again for both (EC II has the same teacher as ECI at SL). If you intend to work on a graduate degree after the bachelor's, making sure your writing is up to snuff is critical.

That's my $0.02 anyway.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • Arto
How tough were the quizzes? I am not the best when it comes to proper grammar, if that is what the majority of it is testing you on.

I have basically tried as many coupon codes as possible from the coupon thread and I can't get anymore to work. I was able to renew on SL and get a couple of discounts (membership/course).
Credits:
(10-03-2018, 07:33 PM)zzzz24 Wrote: How tough were the quizzes? I am not the best when it comes to proper grammar, if that is what the majority of it is testing you on.

I have basically tried as many coupon codes as possible from the coupon thread and I can't get anymore to work. I was able to renew on SL and get a couple of discounts (membership/course).

The quizzes test you on the corresponding ~5-10 minute video so as long as you paid attention to the video you will improve(learn). You have multiple tries for each of the quizzes it shouldn't be a problem to do well there. Some chapters may cover grammar, others will be formatting, punctuation, citations, etc.

There's always(sometimes) new promo codes coming out for SL so just keep checking for new ones periodically.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Is testing out of the question? You can do the entire sequence for TESU without writing anything if you choose the CLEP Modular (ENG1) and DSST Advanced Comp (ENG2).
If testing is an option, I found the CLEPs (I actually ended up taking both modular and non-modular) exceptionally easy, and they're free if you get the Modern States voucher

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
I took the English Comp II TECEP and thought it was fairly easy. I would always choose to test out if you are a proficient typist.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(10-04-2018, 07:35 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Is testing out of the question?  You can do the entire sequence for TESU without writing anything if you choose the CLEP Modular (ENG1) and DSST Advanced Comp (ENG2).

I am in Canada, don't see any of these being offered around here, would have to drive across the border
Credits:
(10-04-2018, 10:16 AM)zzzz24 Wrote:
(10-04-2018, 07:35 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Is testing out of the question?  You can do the entire sequence for TESU without writing anything if you choose the CLEP Modular (ENG1) and DSST Advanced Comp (ENG2).

I am in Canada, don't see any of these being offered around here, would have to drive across the border

TESU's TECEP's instead.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 9 560 02-17-2024, 01:56 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Sophia.org English Composition II -- Grader Experiences ashkir 67 10,197 02-09-2024, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
  Sophia English Composition II Experience lifted567 14 1,743 01-04-2024, 05:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  English Comp 2 dbrown2258 7 787 09-10-2023, 01:11 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  does sophia english touch stone allow to use chatgpt or grammerly? sekiflying 10 2,347 08-13-2023, 01:12 PM
Last Post: sekiflying
Heart Is it possible to finish English composition II in one month on study.com? imkingta 16 1,835 07-22-2023, 11:11 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Want to drop out of Sophia English Composition I Avidreader 17 1,690 07-07-2023, 06:08 PM
Last Post: lumina
  English comp 2 Sophia/study.com/olivia/tel? SweetsugarNL 12 3,729 07-03-2023, 11:33 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Trying to speedrun some SDC classes: Eng 2, Comp. Arch, Soft. Eng, Python 101 Randyb100 16 1,779 06-25-2023, 08:28 PM
Last Post: Randyb100
  Sophia English Comp 1 Touchstone Issue arrakis 29 6,991 06-21-2023, 05:05 PM
Last Post: LevelUP