Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
English Comp 1 - Avoid Penn Foster
If for some strange reason anyone was considering knocking out Composition I via Penn Foster, I just want to say - don't do it! My son is completing his high school diploma program with 5 early college courses through Penn Foster, and the English Composition course has been more time consuming and more of a pain than any ACE approved course my other son took - and he earned 90 or so credits that way. His course includes:

4 Tests
18 Journal Entries ranging from 3 paragraphs to 6 or more paragraphs each. A few of these took him well over an hour to complete.
2 Pre-Writing assignments which the graders love to return numerous times. The assignments are a bit poorly explained which doesn't help.
3 Essays ranging from 1200 to 1800 words, including one research paper.
2 Live Webinars which are held 2 to 3 times a month and last form 90 minutes to 2 hours each. You have to close all other applications and "participate" throughout the webinar to receive a passing grade. If you have, say, Facebook open in the background during the webinar you receive a warning that you didn't pass and you must write a 3 paragraph essay on the webinar to change that.

I love writing, and I think developing writing skills is extremely important - but this is just over the top in every way. If you are, for some reason, taking a few Penn Foster college courses, take something else - and take your composition course at Straighterline or Study. My son had been planning to get his associates degree with Penn Foster, but after this he wants nothing to do with them.
Here Researching for my son, who has done the following:
Community College: Intro to Philosophy, Fundamentals of IT, English Comp 1
Saylor: Intro to Business, Principles of  Marketing, Corporate Communication
Shmoop: US History 2 (WGU won't accept this)
ALEKS: Int. Algebra, College Algebra
Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics
Ed4Credit: Managing Information Systems
Sophia: Project Management
WGU: Bachelors in HR Management 

Second son is currently attending Penn Foster for his high school diploma, then on to Ashworth for An Associates in Criminal Justice
[-] The following 1 user Likes rowan555's post:
  • pws
I completed my high school at Penn Foster too - same early college option but with CIS electives.
I joined the PF Associates (CIS) degree, but I don't have ENG Comp in first semester. But you got me scared now.
(05-21-2018, 03:12 PM)msganti Wrote: I completed my high school at Penn Foster too - same early college option but with CIS electives.
I joined the PF Associates (CIS) degree, but I don't have ENG Comp in first semester. But you got me scared now.

I mean, you will get through it - it's just a lot of work compared to other iterations of this course. And I shudder to think what Composition II is like.
Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics

Second son is currently attending Penn Foster for his high school diploma, then on to Ashworth for An Associates in Criminal Justice
wow- over the top is an understatement!!
(05-23-2018, 12:36 PM)cookderosa Wrote: wow- over the top is an understatement!!

And it takes up to 10 days for each item to be graded, often double that because they will return it rather than just issuing a B or C and ask you to re-do it. Then you have to get back in the queue.  My son is waiting on his last essay to be graded so he can graduate and be done with Penn Foster.

(05-23-2018, 12:49 PM)rowan555 Wrote:
(05-23-2018, 12:36 PM)cookderosa Wrote: wow- over the top is an understatement!!

And it takes up to 10 days for each item to be graded, often double that because they will return it rather than just issuing a B or C and ask you to re-do it. Then you have to get back in the queue.  My son is waiting on his last essay to be graded so he can graduate and be done with Penn Foster.

wow....just wow. Thanks for the heads up!!
I highly recommend Ed4credit for Eng comp II for anyone that struggles with writing. My son hates writing and did not hate this class. I think he actually learned more than he did in any in other writing classes because it was broken down into simple steps and so straightforward. If I recall correctly, there were 8 sections all consisting of a reading, quiz, and assignment. The assignments all led up to one final draft of a research paper (around 1500 words I think). They even had a recording of the reading assignments and he just listened and followed the text. The 9th section was the final exam.

Rowan555, how was Ed4credits Managing Information Systems? I was thinking of having my son take that class. Did your son take it after the changes 3/1/18 or before?
Myself: Pierpont BOG (May 2018), TESU BALS-SS (June 2019)
CC: 34cr 1979-95 SL: 9cr Shmoop: 6cr SC: 48cr Sophia: 5cr OD: 12cr TEEX: 3cr Ed4Credit: 6cr TESU: 7cr

My son: Currently pursuing Harvard Extension MLA Digital Media Design 28 Cr completed
TESU ASNSM in CS (June 2018), TESU BA Learner-Designed-Software Dev/Web Design Heart & Cert CIS (March 2019)
CSU Global: 9cr Hodges: 24cr SL: 15cr SC: 51cr TEEX: 4cr Sophia: 8cr CLEP: 3cr ED4Credit: 6cr TESU: 6cr Alex:3cr
My younger son is going to just do the rest of his associates degree courses at Ashworth, otherwise I'd look into Ed4Credit. My older son had no problems with the MIS course - he wanted to knock that one out prior to enrolling at WGU even though it turned out he'd have had plenty of time to finish it in his one term there. He said it wasn't bad at all, it was very straightforward and didn't have any busywork. I can't recall if he took it before or after 3/1 but I'll ask him to check.

[-] The following 1 user Likes rowan555's post:
  • mudball

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 934 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org English Composition II -- Grader Experiences ashkir 67 10,644 02-09-2024, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
  Sophia English Composition II Experience lifted567 14 1,851 01-04-2024, 05:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Transfer Sophia.org credits to Penn State World Campus? nomaduser 16 3,063 12-19-2023, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Dlynn1219
  Penn State & ACE Example Learningnow 6 1,082 10-21-2023, 10:58 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  English Comp 2 dbrown2258 7 811 09-10-2023, 01:11 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  does sophia english touch stone allow to use chatgpt or grammerly? sekiflying 10 2,515 08-13-2023, 01:12 PM
Last Post: sekiflying
Heart Is it possible to finish English composition II in one month on study.com? imkingta 16 1,884 07-22-2023, 11:11 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Want to drop out of Sophia English Composition I Avidreader 17 1,743 07-07-2023, 06:08 PM
Last Post: lumina
  English comp 2 Sophia/study.com/olivia/tel? SweetsugarNL 12 3,796 07-03-2023, 11:33 PM
Last Post: frankc