Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
English Comp Excelsior Sophia
(03-29-2020, 12:18 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: In short, take everything including the foundation courses as it's accepted at Excelsior and a few select schools (NOT COSC/TESU).  I would recommend taking the courses such as US History I/II & Public Speaking first as they expire soon.  Then take College Readiness and the two easy ones Developing Effective Teams/Essentials of Managing Conflict.  

Once done, work on the foundation courses, all 3 of them.  Lastly, find out what courses you would like to do, do them in groups so it overlaps in content/materials.  The last thing to do is, work on the Onlinedegree.com courses to net you an almost free Associates!  Essentially, work the easier ones first then go to the harder courses...

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid305114
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid305160

Thanks Bjcheung

2 things im not sure im understanding

"In short, take everything including the foundation courses as it's accepted at Excelsior and a few select schools (NOT COSC/TESU)."

Everything meaning what?  the 3 English courses mentioned at the beginning ?

then
"
Once done, work on the foundation courses, all 3 of them."

what does this mean?

sorry for not understanding
Hahaha...I don't know how to explain this further as it tells you exactly how I would word it a second time. Anyways... Yes, take all the courses including the foundation courses and the three English courses as one of them are part of the foundation courses I mentioned above.

To pick your brain further and make sure you understand what EVERYTHING means, if Sophia offers 15, 20, 30, 50 courses, take all 50 of them as EVERYTHING transfers to EXCELSIOR. If you started off with a few courses already, I don't know what you've completed already from them, do those first.

My suggestion above is to take US History I&II, Public Speaking before you take anything else. Essentially, finish what you have started and then take these 3. Then take the 3 I mentioned - College Readiness and the two easy ones Developing Effective Teams/Essentials of Managing Conflict. Then the "foundation courses", English, College Algebra, Statistics. You want to finish the easier ones first and then work on the harder ones.

Keep going until you get all 50 or however many they have, lastly go to Onlinedegree.com and do the same thing - do all of them as long as it doesn't overlap. So as an example, if nothing overlaps - if Sophia has 25 courses and Onlinedegree has 10 courses, you do all of em, you'll have 35 courses total completed!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
As I suggested in my previous post, consider posting your current degree plan or end goal, including existing credit (also from online degree). This way others can help you fine tune it and if there are any courses from sophia and online degree that would duplicate, you can be made aware.
Thanks everyone for the replies. 

lacussucceed:  the "current degree plan" didnt really exist until i saw the transfer guide from onlinedegree.com 
which has apparently now changed from just a few days ago. it used to list them all as transferring to apply to the A.A. in liberal arts
Huh
https://www.onlinedegree.com/wp-content/...ollege.pdf

since Sophia popped up like this i thought get as many as i can from them. 

BJ I do understand what you mean as far as taking advantage of them all BUT i think there would be significant overlap and waste of doing them all. 

i am however taking the rest of your advice as to the order and about doing the history 1 and 2 first etc.  good info.

from what i can tell from further research on this it looks as if english 1 would do for the associates and 2 would be needed for the future B.A. etc.   so time permitting i may go ahead and try getting BOTH done instead of just Eng comp I

i currently have completed 4 of the courses. 
Macro.  Micro.  Ancient Greek Philo and Ethics.

started history 1 and college algebra
Which degree do you need? Any Associates and later any Bachelors? (Why?)
Do you have any tuition help or something?
What credits do you have already?
OD:
SOPHIA:
micro 3ll
macro 3ll
ancient greek 3ll
ethics 3ll
...:
(03-29-2020, 02:33 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: To pick your brain further and make sure you understand what EVERYTHING means, if Sophia offers 15, 20, 30, 50 courses, take all 50 of them as EVERYTHING transfers to EXCELSIOR.  If you started off with a few courses already, I don't know what you've completed already from them, do those first.  

I personally would not take EVERYTHING, as you are limited on time to get everything done.  I would take as much as possible, but I would create a solid plan in which you can cover all the GE requirements, and your major requirements if possible, and then anything else you need.

Based on the transfer guide, it is really unclear how English Comp I & II come in, so I might take them with the caveat that if they only come in as GE Electives, then you'll have wasted some time on something you don't really need.

EC does not require Speech, so you might want to skip that for now.  But I'd do Ethics, Math, Science, 2 add'l Humanities, 3 SocSci/Hist, 1 add'l math or science, and maybe English Comp I & II.  That fills your GE requirements.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Does Excelsior still except English Comp ll from Sophia? They don't have it listed anymore as an equivalency.
(04-14-2023, 09:35 AM)lonelySamurai Wrote: Does Excelsior still except English Comp ll from Sophia? They don't have it listed anymore as an equivalency.

IIRC, they should accept it for a Liberal Studies degree. If you want a Business degree, no. Other degrees, I don't know about. I would guess that the BS Psych would also accept Sophia's English Comp II, but I'm not certain.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • lonelySamurai

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 528 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Has excelsior accepted CSM math recently? CM1999 6 995 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  So disappointed in Excelsior. Should I bail or suck it up for the last class? profstudent 22 5,727 12-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  New Change to Enrollment at Excelsior U. -- Not Good milah1 12 1,734 10-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Sophia Conflict Resolution Haykay 5 1,684 08-06-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Is there anything else I could fill in with Sophia? Vle045 9 2,060 07-16-2023, 09:16 PM
  List of Sophia Classes that count as UL Credit Niketay 2 1,080 07-07-2023, 11:05 AM
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,398 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
  Excelsior University to Ivey League ----> RichestLiberalArtsMajor 5 1,365 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,139 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina