Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
English Composition
Tennesseegirl87 Wrote:How is ED4credit going? better than SL?

Hi!

Well... I finished it.

Basically, you do a research paper. It's broken down into segments. One segment is finding sources, etc., etc. They use APA instead of MLA. Be honest with you, work wise there doesn't seem to be much difference in how SL and E4C does things. I think the point is mooted because others have pointed out ways to get the same credit with less effort, so I couldn't say I'd recommend either as a) a way to truly learn the topic or b) a way to buzz through and snag that credit. (shrugs)
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

Can somebody tell me if English Comp 1 and 2 would be equal to 2 semesters worth of high school English, or 2 years worth? 

My son did SL Engl Comp 1 last year, and I was going to have him do Engl Comp 2 this year...now I am wondering if that was adequate.
English Comp I gives college credit for a 1-semester English course (3cr). A college semester is usually equivalent to a year of high school.

But I wouldn't necessarily think that a few weeks of SL English Comp I is equal to a year of HS. In my kids' schools at least, they are writing a LOT more than a couple of papers over the course of a year, plus they are reading several novels each. I think my 11th grader is reading 4 novels this year in college prep English 11, and my 9th grade son is reading 3 novels plus a bunch of short stories and poems in 9th grade honors English. Lots of papers for both, and my daughter has to write a pretty long research paper at the end of the year.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(09-04-2018, 11:39 PM)dfrecore Wrote: English Comp I gives college credit for a 1-semester English course (3cr).  A college semester is usually equivalent to a year of high school.

But I wouldn't necessarily think that a few weeks of SL English Comp I is equal to a year of HS.  In my kids' schools at least, they are writing a LOT more than a couple of papers over the course of a year, plus they are reading several novels each.  I think my 11th grader is reading 4 novels this year in college prep English 11, and my 9th grade son is reading 3 novels plus a bunch of short stories and poems in 9th grade honors English.  Lots of papers for both, and my daughter has to write a pretty long research paper at the end of the year.

Thank you, Dfrecore! That helps. 

He had additional papers to write in his other subjects, and he still did other reading and grammar and such. BTW, English Comp actually took him 3 months since he was doing other subjects at the same time!!! Got a little pricey Smile 

PS***Halfway through typing this reply, it occurred to me to go look at Jennifer's "Homeschooling with Saylor" and she has wonderful suggestions to piece together multiple credit-worthy classes for complete high school subjects (thanks Jennifer!)
(09-05-2018, 12:24 AM)walkingbyfaith Wrote:
(09-04-2018, 11:39 PM)dfrecore Wrote: English Comp I gives college credit for a 1-semester English course (3cr).  A college semester is usually equivalent to a year of high school.

But I wouldn't necessarily think that a few weeks of SL English Comp I is equal to a year of HS.  In my kids' schools at least, they are writing a LOT more than a couple of papers over the course of a year, plus they are reading several novels each.  I think my 11th grader is reading 4 novels this year in college prep English 11, and my 9th grade son is reading 3 novels plus a bunch of short stories and poems in 9th grade honors English.  Lots of papers for both, and my daughter has to write a pretty long research paper at the end of the year.

He had additional papers to write in his other subjects, and he still did other reading and grammar and such. BTW, English Comp actually took him 3 months since he was doing other subjects at the same time!!! Got a little pricey Smile 

PS***Halfway through typing this reply, it occurred to me to go look at Jennifer's "Homeschooling with Saylor" and she has wonderful suggestions to piece together multiple credit-worthy classes for complete high school subjects (thanks Jennifer!)

Yes, I guess if you are writing in other courses (my daughter has to do a research paper for history this year), then you may have a lot covered.  If you do your own literature study, that may work as well.

And, I wouldn't pay for SL's English Comp course for HS, unless you were trying to get credit at one of the Big 3.  It's too expensive for that, in my opinion.  Lots of free/cheap ways to do English for high school.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(09-05-2018, 12:46 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(09-05-2018, 12:24 AM)walkingbyfaith Wrote:

Yes, I guess if you are writing in other courses (my daughter has to do a research paper for history this year), then you may have a lot covered.  If you do your own literature study, that may work as well.

And, I wouldn't pay for SL's English Comp course for HS, unless you were trying to get credit at one of the Big 3.  It's too expensive for that, in my opinion.  Lots of free/cheap ways to do English for high school.
Yes, aiming for TESU or WGU. Otherwise that would have been really expensive for a not thorough class for sure!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  77 Online credit courses in English from Germany - from €16/ECTS FrHaseKopf 19 6,769 04-22-2023, 01:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Where can I find a cheap college-level writing/composition course ftlclam 4 811 02-27-2023, 11:28 PM
Last Post: ftlclam
  Saudi Scholarship: No funding for English studies bjcheung77 2 772 12-13-2022, 08:43 AM
Last Post: Fewind
  English 2 Jennr2z 2 619 05-28-2022, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Jennr2z
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,322 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  English degrees besides TESU, UMPI? Ideas 1 879 12-13-2021, 10:00 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  English Language Teaching through to 2023 bjcheung77 0 588 12-05-2021, 01:18 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Prep for College Composition with Essay CLEP ? abs_co 3 1,644 11-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Searching for online - ideally self-paced - English 101/102 Courses thephdbalance 8 1,619 08-13-2021, 03:02 PM
Last Post: thephdbalance
  Earned Admission ASU English Comp 2 rlw74 2 1,076 05-05-2021, 07:16 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso