Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
English Composition 2 Help/Advice
(11-20-2021, 03:41 PM)rachel83az Wrote: The problem with Sophia is that it may be cheaper than some other options but it's NOT faster or easier when it comes to English Comp 2. When it legit takes 60-90 days to finish just that course, plus the inconsistent grading, there is no good reason to take it.

It was better, but still bad when they had the courses for free, it seems like from what I’ve read. It just keeps going downhill at Sophia with all the touchstones that need grading.

I would definitely suggest the OP takes it elsewhere if possible, but to be fair, they did ask about ease and not cost. If the OP is still working on other Sophia courses and they think it might take 2-3 months to finish anyway then there is no harm in toughing it out at Sophia, like bjcheung77 suggested. They’d be spending that time and money anyway, problems with grading time and inconsistencies aside.

Full disclosure, I’m taking the course at ONU based on the facts: it seems easiest and doesn’t require proctored anything (I have a tablet now, not a laptop), you pay at the end of the course, and it’s RA and not ACE credit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tedium's post:
  • Pikachu
Study.com is what I did. It's not hard
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

(11-20-2021, 03:41 PM)rachel83az Wrote: The problem with Sophia is that it may be cheaper than some other options but it's NOT faster or easier when it comes to English Comp 2. When it legit takes 60-90 days to finish just that course, plus the inconsistent grading, there is no good reason to take it.

And the grading is AWFUL! I lost a ton of points for things that were not even on the instructions. It's like the graders have a different set of instructions or a different rubric. I was at 70 something days when I gave up and took the class at UMPI instead where I finished it in 3 days. I would never recommend Sophia's English Comp classes to anyone after my experience.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • Pikachu, rachel83az
(11-27-2021, 08:27 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: Study.com is what I did. It's not hard

How long did it take you?
CLEP - 7 Courses, Study.com - 11 Courses, Sophia - 15 Courses, CSM Learn, INSTANTCERT - Spanish I, Coursera - Google Data Analytics Certificate.

UMPI Double major BA Accounting, BABA Project Management. 2023

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
(11-20-2021, 02:33 AM)dreamarts Wrote: Hi, 

I'm doing my BSc at UoPeople. I'm doing my general education courses from Sophia (already get 4 subjects transferred).

Now I need your advice for English Composition 2 course. which platform will be easy to get the credits.

They accept ACE credits. Also, the transferred course's grade is not added to the main GPA, only subtracting the credit from the whole program. 

So I need a pass mark (70%) only to get the credit waiver. 

I saw a few posts stating that Sophia's English Composition 2 is relatively hard.

Can you advise me, which platform should I use for English Composition 2?

Thank you.

PS. I saw most of the answers here use acronyms. if you can use the full name, that will be great for me Smile

I did it on Study.com (SDC) and found it fairly easy. I went through all the quizzes in about two hours without watching or reading the lessons, took a couple practice exams to prepare for the final, took the final, and wrote an essay proposal and two essays for a total of about 3,600 words. That said, there are two caveats: 1) if you're unsure about your English, I would watch the lessons (there are only fifty-one, so even then it could be done rather quickly); and 2) make sure you have a second class you can/want to take take for another three ACE credits, since SDC is $200 a month, and that cost covers two proctored exams.

(12-01-2021, 03:18 PM)acethroughcollege Wrote:

I can't speak for jsh1138, but I went through the course in a couple hours and spent most of a Saturday on the writing. If you watch all the videos and find writing difficult or unpleasant, I'd guess it might take a week or so.
[-] The following 1 user Likes wildebeest's post:
  • Pikachu
(12-10-2021, 09:34 PM)wildebeest Wrote:
(11-20-2021, 02:33 AM)dreamarts Wrote: Hi, 

I'm doing my BSc at UoPeople. I'm doing my general education courses from Sophia (already get 4 subjects transferred).

Now I need your advice for English Composition 2 course. which platform will be easy to get the credits.

They accept ACE credits. Also, the transferred course's grade is not added to the main GPA, only subtracting the credit from the whole program. 

So I need a pass mark (70%) only to get the credit waiver. 

I saw a few posts stating that Sophia's English Composition 2 is relatively hard.

Can you advise me, which platform should I use for English Composition 2?

Thank you.

PS. I saw most of the answers here use acronyms. if you can use the full name, that will be great for me Smile

I did it on Study.com (SDC) and found it fairly easy. I went through all the quizzes in about two hours without watching or reading the lessons, took a couple practice exams to prepare for the final, took the final, and wrote an essay proposal and two essays for a total of about 3,600 words. That said, there are two caveats: 1) if you're unsure about your English, I would watch the lessons (there are only fifty-one, so even then it could be done rather quickly); and 2) make sure you have a second class you can/want to take take for another three ACE credits, since SDC is $200 a month, and that cost covers two proctored exams.

(12-01-2021, 03:18 PM)acethroughcollege Wrote:

I can't speak for jsh1138, but I went through the course in a couple hours and spent most of a Saturday on the writing. If you watch all the videos and find writing difficult or unpleasant, I'd guess it might take a week or so.

ok, thanks for the info, I think I might go with SDC then. It sounds a lot better than the Sophia course.
CLEP - 7 Courses, Study.com - 11 Courses, Sophia - 15 Courses, CSM Learn, INSTANTCERT - Spanish I, Coursera - Google Data Analytics Certificate.

UMPI Double major BA Accounting, BABA Project Management. 2023

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
(11-20-2021, 09:08 AM)rachel83az Wrote: College Writing II is English Comp 2: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Ol...University

It doesn't matter which program you choose. Any of them will be fine.
Is this accepted at EC?
(05-16-2022, 09:33 PM)mskitty Wrote:
(11-20-2021, 09:08 AM)rachel83az Wrote: College Writing II is English Comp 2: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Ol...University

It doesn't matter which program you choose. Any of them will be fine.
Is this accepted at EC?

Yes, ONU is RA. Excelsior will accept RA credits and technically if this is an English Composition II equivalent, that's how it should come into Excelsior as well.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(11-27-2021, 11:18 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

And the grading is AWFUL! I lost a ton of points for things that were not even on the instructions. It's like the graders have a different set of instructions or a different rubric. I was at 70 something days when I gave up and took the class at UMPI instead where I finished it in 3 days. I would never recommend Sophia's English Comp classes to anyone after my experience.
Good morning, do you have a link for the class at UMPI? I cannot find it. Thank you!
(09-27-2022, 08:33 AM)bseegz Wrote:
(11-27-2021, 11:18 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

Good morning, do you have a link for the class at UMPI? I cannot find it. Thank you!

There aren't any links for UMPI classes. You must be an enrolled student to take classes at UMPI. Only your academic advisor can add classes for you at UMPI.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • bseegz

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 9 562 02-17-2024, 01:56 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Sophia.org English Composition II -- Grader Experiences ashkir 67 10,198 02-09-2024, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
  Sophia English Composition II Experience lifted567 14 1,743 01-04-2024, 05:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  English Comp 2 dbrown2258 7 787 09-10-2023, 01:11 AM
  does sophia english touch stone allow to use chatgpt or grammerly? sekiflying 10 2,350 08-13-2023, 01:12 PM
Last Post: sekiflying
Heart Is it possible to finish English composition II in one month on study.com? imkingta 16 1,835 07-22-2023, 11:11 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Want to drop out of Sophia English Composition I Avidreader 17 1,690 07-07-2023, 06:08 PM
Last Post: lumina
  English comp 2 Sophia/study.com/olivia/tel? SweetsugarNL 12 3,730 07-03-2023, 11:33 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Sophia English Comp 1 Touchstone Issue arrakis 29 6,995 06-21-2023, 05:05 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Advice on Transferring Sophia Courses SophiaPrincess 32 4,755 06-20-2023, 07:10 PM