Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
English Elective Options
I need one last English Elective. I already found all of the needed UL, which is great, so the last course can be a LL. However, with all of the Study.com/SL courses, I'm either going to take them, or the remaining ones don't seem that interesting at all. (Also, I don't mind paying a bit more, and probably use what I learn, than have to go through hours of a course I'm not interested in at all.)

- First, my understanding is that English Electives can only be either ENG or LIT courses?
- Ohio University writing courses (which are ENG courses) look interesting, but from what I understand they're expensive, at $243/credit hour (I think online students would be considered an out-of-state resident, and be in the 'All other online programs' category)?
Writing and Rhetoric (WRTG 150) at BYU-IS would be interesting, easy (and personally good for having one more graded course)—however, I'm not sure if it would transfer in as an EE (since, although it was a ENG course before, it's now a WRTG course), or maybe conflict with English Comp. courses. Does anyone know?

Any other course suggestions are welcome.
If my notes from when I was considering some of the OhioU eCampus courses are correct, they charge $810 per course including fees. Not sure if that is up to date, however.

In terms of the BYU course, the fact that it is a WRTG course at BYU makes no difference, what matters is what prefix TESU assigns it. You'd have to pre-plan with an advisor to find out.

Have you looked at the Technical Writing or Technical Communication TECEPs? They are coded as ENG-201-TE and ENG-202-TE, respectively and would only be $75.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • pws
If it's an option, the Harvard Extension School English Poetry classes at $200 for 6 UL credit would be the cheapest. Do a search on this board, there are a few threads already.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Writing and Rhetoric (WRTG 150) at BYU-IS would be interesting, easy (and personally good for having one more graded course)—however, I'm not sure if it would transfer in as an EE (since, although it was a ENG course before, it's now a WRTG course), or maybe conflict with English Comp. courses. Does anyone know?

WRTG 150 will come in as ENG 101.  My son considered taking this class from them, but decided on our local community college.

Have you taken the Poetry in America courses from HES?  They are offering the Whitman to Hip Hop class for a discounted price again this summer.  It is ENGL S-300.  It is $250+$50 registration fee. https://www.extension.harvard.edu/course...sh%20field

CSU Pueblo IS also has several Enlgish courses and the last I saw they were $555 per course.  https://www.csupueblo.edu/extended-studi...index.html

Good luck!
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.
(04-08-2019, 01:32 PM)hsfamfun Wrote: Have you taken the Poetry in America courses from HES?  They are offering the Whitman to Hip Hop class for a discounted price again this summer.  It is ENGL S-300.  It is $250+$50 registration fee. https://www.extension.harvard.edu/course...sh%20field

That sounds nice. However, I would be finishing the degree before that. I'm currently doing another of the Poetry in America Harvard courses—Whitman to Hip Hop would be interesting to take if it weren't for the date (pun unintended).

(04-08-2019, 12:38 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Have you looked at the Technical Writing or Technical Communication TECEPs? They are coded as ENG-201-TE and ENG-202-TE, respectively and would only be $75.

I'm already doing the Study.com Advanced Technical Writing UL course, so the Technical Writing TECEP would be cheap and easy. Technical Communication sounds inexpensive and decent as well.

(04-08-2019, 01:13 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: If it's an option, the Harvard Extension School English Poetry classes at $200 for 6 UL credit would be the cheapest.  Do a search on this board, there are a few threads already.

Currently doing one of them. Harvard considers them as 4 credits, but they would transfer in at TESU as 6 credits instead?
The Harvard courses are 4 credits and will transfer as 4 credits.
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hsfamfun's post:
  • pws
(04-08-2019, 01:32 PM)hsfamfun Wrote: Writing and Rhetoric (WRTG 150) at BYU-IS would be interesting, easy (and personally good for having one more graded course)—however, I'm not sure if it would transfer in as an EE (since, although it was a ENG course before, it's now a WRTG course), or maybe conflict with English Comp. courses. Does anyone know?

WRTG 150 will come in as ENG 101.  My son considered taking this class from them, but decided on our local community college.

Hi fsfamfun,

Just to make sure, Writing and Rhetoric (WRTG 150) at BYU-IS would come in at TESU as ENC-101—English Composition I—or is it really ENG-101?
Davar Academy's information literacy comes in as ENG-106.
Writing and Rhetoric at BYU IS comes in as English Composition 1 at our Local CC. I am unsure about TESU, but I would definitely check before you take it.  It says this in the description: "Fulfills BYU General Education First-Year Writing requirement. Previously, this course was titled ENGL 115: College Writing and Reading. "  I would guess that it would come in as the first English comp class.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hsfamfun's post:
  • pws

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tuition Payment Options lidel 0 313 11-09-2023, 08:51 AM
Last Post: lidel
  2023-2024 Pell Grant Max: $7395 (Options to use this) bjcheung77 8 1,522 07-31-2023, 10:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  77 Online credit courses in English from Germany - from €16/ECTS FrHaseKopf 19 6,769 04-22-2023, 01:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Saudi Scholarship: No funding for English studies bjcheung77 2 772 12-13-2022, 08:43 AM
Last Post: Fewind
  BYU Pathway Worldwide - Ensign College (BYU-I Partnership Undergrad Options) bjcheung77 2 1,093 08-29-2022, 01:10 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Pathophysiology options? allvia 12 1,919 08-24-2022, 07:40 AM
Last Post: allvia
  English 2 Jennr2z 2 619 05-28-2022, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Jennr2z
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,321 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Biochemistry options? allvia 13 1,877 05-13-2022, 04:17 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Easiest math general education options? Math avoidant 5 2,156 05-07-2022, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Math avoidant