Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
English Lit CLEP
Iam taking this test (hopefully) in January.. (eek!) I too am freaking out about the lack of study matereal...

Here is one book my life coach suggested...

Amazon.com: English Literature (Barron's Ez-101 Study Keys): Benjamin W. Griffith: Books

Its also available in audio book format...
English Literature CLEP Study Materials

SparkNotes Literature Study Guides
Literature Study Guides - SparkNotes

SparkNotes Shakespeare Study Guides
Shakespeare Study Guides - SparkNotes

SparkNotes Literary Terms
Narrative : Sparkcharts

Free English Literature Flashcards
literature Flashcards

English Literature (Barron’s EZ-101 Study Keys
Amazon.com: English Literature (Barron's Ez-101 Study Keys): Benjamin W. Griffith: Books

The Complete Idiot’s Guide to English Literature
Amazon.com: The Complete Idiot's Guide to English Literature: Ph.D., Jay Stevenson: Books

Wikipedia on English Literature
English literature - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wikipedia List of Literary Genres
Literary genre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Norton History Timeline of English Literature (with quizzes)
The Norton Anthology of English Literature: The Middle Ages: Introduction

English Literature GRE Study Guide
English Literature GRE Study Guide

Literature Terms
DEFINITIONS OF TERMS USED IN AP LITERATURE EXAMS
Mrs. Dowling's Literature Terms
A Glossary of Literary Terms

AP English Literature Practice Test
Practice Tests for the AP English Literature and Composition Exam
I was hoping to find more practice tests but the only one I have is from the Official CLEP guide. If you can get access to the AP tests online [like through the library] those can help you with the analyzing portion of the test. As for the Literature part of the test I'm just working on homemade flashcards from the Idiot's Guide and Barron's 101.

Passed:

American Gov, US History 1, US History 2, Computing, Info Systems, Humanities, Sociology, Art, Western Civ I, Western Civ II, Social Sciences and History, Civil War, Business, Vietnam, A&I Lit, Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice, American Lit, English Lit, Astronomy, Supervision, 1 FEMA, Total -79
Wow, it's been a while since I been here... Well I am taking this test tomorrow. I studied off and on for a while and I hope I got enough for a 56! hilarious
Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union DSST - 54
Intor. to World Religions DSST - 63
English Literature CLEP - 47 (1st test) 55 (2nd test)
American Literature CLEP - 64

BA English, St. Edward's University
Took the English Lit CLEP last weekend. Passed with a 68 and thought it was quite difficult and not enough time allotted for the test. There was a great deal of reading passages and interpreting them which is what ate up a lot of my time. I would suggest really practicing the portions of the CLEP practice test that focus on interpretation. Good luck to all
How do you know when you are ready for this one???

My eldest is hoping to take this one in two weeks. It has been a whirlwind of British lit films. It's like a chick film festival here plus tons of reading and wiki-ing and sparking. But with only one real practice test (which she already took)........

How do you know when you are ready???

I wish IC covered this one.

Passed:

American Gov, US History 1, US History 2, Computing, Info Systems, Humanities, Sociology, Art, Western Civ I, Western Civ II, Social Sciences and History, Civil War, Business, Vietnam, A&I Lit, Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice, American Lit, English Lit, Astronomy, Supervision, 1 FEMA, Total -79
Hey there! I just took this test on Friday, and barely passed with a 53! Phew! I had NO idea what to study for, or better yet, what to study! Here are some things I figured out...

*Barron's 101 study keys is amazing! I learned the most from this tiny little book! Amazon.com: English Literature (Barron's Ez-101 Study Keys): Benjamin W. Griffith: Books

*The complete Idiots guide to English Lit - I really didnt find all that helpful... Infact the author refered to Christian's as a cult at one point, and that just made me mad. haha

* USE THE ON-LINE SPARKNOTES!!! Both the poetry and Lit sparkcharts are a MUST!

* Free Sparknotes AP English Lit test gets you prepared for the A&I portion

* Sparknotes Lituratre was also a BIG help! Its a pretty easy read, that at least helps you to become well aquantied with authors, and their works.

* I didnt really find any of the other AP study prep stuff helpful at all.

* Learn about the major authors! Some questions will ask you to say who a paragraph was written by. If you know even a little bit about the authors (Especially old old old english lit, like Bewolf), you will be able to ID, "okay, this isnt a poem, and these guys are poets, so its not A, and C, this guy used old english, and this is in modern english so its not him" etc etc.

* The first part of the test really focused on old english authors

*Know the difference between old english, and middle english.

*Know the basics of rhyming, and meters. (sparkchart is enough)

* Read though some of Shakespears sparknotes - be able to ID the main charctors

* Know who John Milton was, and what he wrote - it comes up several times

* About 2 out of every 3 questions had to do with A&I lit

* Unlike the A&I lit test, the pieces of lit that you read, are no more then 30 lines. Most of them were only 4-5 lines.

* The official CLEP practice test is NOT a good gage of when you're ready. I got a 70 on the practice test, and only a 53 on the actual test

* Speaking of which, be sure you understand the practice test. why? Because someone forgot to take the practice test questions out of the actual test. Yes. Seriously. You will find at least 2-3 questions that are identical to the practice test questions.

* some people to know...

The Rossetti's
John Keates
John Gay
Dorthy Osborne
Lewis Carroll
John Milton
James Joyce
Thomas Hardy
George Eliot
George Orwell
Geoffry Chaucer
Edumund Spenser
-Fairie Queen
Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
The Bronte Sisters
Katherine Mansfield
Daniel Defoe
Shakespear
Robert Burns
Oscar Wilde
Rudygard Kipling
Charles Lamb
Virgina Wolf

* Be sure to know the basic story of King Author.. ya know, the disney cartoon we watched on saturday mornings where the kid pulls the sword outta the rock? Yeah, that will suffice!

* Be able to read old/middle English. There are a several A&I Old english lit questions... yuck!

*Know who wrote Pilgrims Progress, and the basics of what it was about! Big Grin

* If you can - it really would be a good idea to take A&I Lit before this test...

* Know Lit terms. Like, Allerteration, Ottamotapedia, biography vs autobiography, etc. Spark Chats Lit is good for this!

Hope that helps! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me!
2.3.09 - Organizational behavior - 67
1.23.09 - English Lit - 53
12.18.08- Intro to Computing DSST - 454
12.9.08 - Principles of Supervision DSST - 58
12.5.08 - Principles of Management - 67
FIRST YEAR COMPLETE! ^_^11.25.08 - Human Growth and Dev. - 64
11.20.08 - Principles of Marketing - 65
11.10.08 - Intro to Edu Psyc - 63
10.29.08 - Intro Psyc - 68
10.17.08 - Intro Sociology - 62
10.4.08 - History of the US I
7.21.08 - English comp with Essay - 53
6.11.08- A&IL - 55
How providential! Dd planned to take the test tomorrow but a big ice storm is coming and we'll have to reschedule for next week. Now we have time to use your advise. Sometimes delays are for the best!

Tonight we're watching the weather, eating popcorn and watching a good MacNeil/Lehrer documentary on the English Language. Very helpful for those of us who need a visual. They've covered Samuel Johnson, Joyce, Beowulf and Shakespeare so far.

Congrats on your pass!

Passed:

Taking this one tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the feedback. We'll see how it goes. Next test will have to be an IC test. I'm ready to be done with the big materials search.

operalady Wrote:How providential! Dd planned to take the test tomorrow but a big ice storm is coming and we'll have to reschedule for next week. Now we have time to use your advise. Sometimes delays are for the best!

Tonight we're watching the weather, eating popcorn and watching a good MacNeil/Lehrer documentary on the English Language. Very helpful for those of us who need a visual. They've covered Samuel Johnson, Joyce, Beowulf and Shakespeare so far.

Congrats on your pass!

Passed:

My brother and I took this test yesterday and passed! He received a 58, and I got a 56. We believe we actually had the same test this time, and tried to write down as much as we could remember. Here are some people and things that came up on our tests, as well as a few questions we remembered.

~Shakespeare character pairs (questions about pairs from Midsummer Night’s Dream, Henry IV, King Lear) characters included Puck for Midsummer Night's Dream; Goneril, Cordelia, and Raegan for King Lear
~Quote from Beowulf—asking whom the passage spoke of
~Canterbury Tales—written in middle English, fox excerpt
~Know some metaphysical poets, novelists, cavalier poets (Lovelace and Suckling were cavalier, but I don't remember answers for the others)
~What were the Pre-Raphaelites? (I believe they were Victorian age somethings) Smile
~Morte D’Arthur excerpt (king waking from a dream)
~What two people were “steam of consciousness”?
~Who wrote the first dictionary? (Samuel Johnson)
~Bunyan—be able to recognize description of Pilgrim’s Progress (journey from City of Destruction…Wink
~Dickens was the answer to a question about who wrote on orphans and some other things. (can’t remember)
~Virginia Woolf wrote Mrs. Dalloway and To the Lighthouse
~Female author who was born in New Zealand
~Lamb’s opinion and contradiction to Wordsworth’s view on nature
~Description of Frankenstein—know that Mary Shelley was author
~Story of an orphan girl who grows up to be ____ (can’t remember their term)—answer is Jane Eyre
~Robinson Crusoe excerpt about him seeing a native's footprint on an island—written by Defoe
~Milton excerpt—Satan falling from Heaven Questions: Who is the person mentioned? (Satan) What are Satan’s feelings in Hell?
~In Memoriam was written by Tennyson in response to his friend’s death
~There was an excerpt from a Shakespeare play about mercy--know that it was the "Merchant of Venice"
~Pygmalion--know that it's a story where a man tries to turn a flower girl into a refined citizen by teaching her to speak properly and such

If you know the following people, it will help in eliminating answers or choosing the correct one:
Chaucer (Canterbury Tales)
Malory (Morte D’Arthur)
Katherine Mansfield
Kipling
Spenser (Faerie Queen)
Stevenson
Thackeray
Woolf
Wordsworth
*know some info like what type of writing they did (novels, poems, biographies, etc.)

Some terms that came up on my test included:
Terza Rima
Personification
Simile
Metaphor
Alliteration

And lastly, I've included a couple passages that we analyzed.
"Know then thyself, presume not God to scan,
The proper study of mankind is Man.
Placed on this isthmus of a middle state,
A being darkly wise and rudely great:
With too much knowledge for the Sceptic side,
With too much weakness for the Stoic's pride,
He hangs between, in doubt to act or rest"

QUESTIONS WERE: What does the word isthmus mean in this passage?
Who wrote it? (Alexander Pope)

“It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.”
Know that Austen wrote this. There was one analyzing question, but I don't remember it. There was also a little more to the excerpt, but I don't remember it.

~Allison

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 507 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  77 Online credit courses in English from Germany - from €16/ECTS FrHaseKopf 19 6,766 04-22-2023, 01:27 AM
  Saudi Scholarship: No funding for English studies bjcheung77 2 770 12-13-2022, 08:43 AM
Last Post: Fewind
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,848 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 852 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  English 2 Jennr2z 2 619 05-28-2022, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Jennr2z
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,317 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  English degrees besides TESU, UMPI? Ideas 1 878 12-13-2021, 10:00 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  English Language Teaching through to 2023 bjcheung77 0 588 12-05-2021, 01:18 AM
  Prep for College Composition with Essay CLEP ? abs_co 3 1,644 11-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP