Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
English Literature CLEP
I need to take the English Literature CLEP exam in 7 days in order to graduate on time, unfortunately, I am unable to take American Literature or Analyzing and Interpreting Literature. 

Is it possible for me to pass given my limited time? I do not have substantial prior knowledge of English Literature, but I have taken CLEP exams for American Government (70) and Macroeconomics (73), both exams of which I studied for about a week.

As of right now, I am almost finished with the Modernstates.org course and have already purchased free-clep-prep.com's study guide for English Literature, although I have not begun studying yet.

Can anyone who's taken American Literature or English literature please provide me some input and study resources, especially someone who has taken the English Literature exam? I am a little limited on money right now so I'd prefer free resources.

(I apologize in advance if this is a duplicate post, I just could not find a relevant post for my issue.)

Thank you!
I did Modern States (to review my high school literature years), and then practice tests from Peterson's. My local library has access to the peterson's practice tests online. free with library card. I don't know if your library has such things but look on their website or call reference desk and again. Ours is part of Gale/Cengage clep test prep. Maybe your local or state library system has those as well. I don't know if you can do well in a week's time or not.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

[-] The following 1 user Likes P226mem's post:
  • SJDUQUE
I haven't actually taken any CLEPs so I can't speak from experience. But I did go looking and found some resources that may help.

I found this free practice test: https://www.mometrix.com/academy/clep/en...iterature/

Flashcards and short practice tests: https://www.varsitytutors.com/clep_engli...tice-tests

More practice questions: https://www.practicetester.com/clep-engl...ature/test

I've heard a lot of good things about Modern States, so hopefully that should be good enough, along with free-clep-prep. I would also recommend Study.com but that's not quite free. It'd be $60 for one month.
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • SJDUQUE, suzycupcake
How are you with analyzing and interpreting literature? About half of this test is comprised of that. I love thinking through literature so this test played up to my strengths. I could have passed it cold and I was only somewhat familiar with English lit. When I get to my computer this evening, I can try to find and link some resources.

Basically, about half is analyzing/interpreting lit and the other half is more of an overview of British lit. Find a good timeline of British lit and study some summaries (also helpful to know a couple names of characters from each) of the most famous books and you should be pretty well set.
BALS-Humanities from TESU - June 2019

CLEP - A&I Lit, US History 1, US History 2, West Civ 1, Intro Sociology, American Lit, Humanities, Soc. Sci & History, English Lit
Sophia - Intro to Info Tech, Art History 1, Visual Communications, Managing Conflict, Building Effective Teams
Study - Personal Finance, Comm 120, Math 97, Bus 121, Lib Sci 101, Eng 104, Nutrition 101, Eng 105, His 108, Pol. Sci 102, Earth Sci 104, His 308, Bus 313, His 102, Eng 305, His 105, His 106, His 306, Geometry 101, Bus 324, Com 102
Institutes - Insurance Ethics
TESU - Cornerstone, Music History 2 TECEP, LIB Capstone

Further Credits - Sophia - Conflict Resolution, Enviro Science, Microecon, Intro to Stats, Into to Ethics, Found. of Stats, Ancient Greek Philosophers, Macroecon, Intro to Business, Project Management, Accounting, Art History 2
[-] The following 1 user Likes TexasTink's post:
  • SJDUQUE
I see that you already mentioned Free Clep Prep, but they do have quite a few resources listed on the English Lit page that are free.

Besides that, I found it helpful for several of my cleps to go through flash cards from quizlet.  You can search for different subjects and find quizzes put together by community members.  Some are more helpful than others - it's kind of just trial and error till you find one that has what you need.  I'm linking one I found here - https://quizlet.com/5904850/english-lite...ash-cards/

This last source isn't free, but it's not expensive - you might even find it in your local library?  I used this as my main text to study for the English Lit CLEP.  It's very cut-and-dry and minimalistic, but it works and briefly (very briefly!) covers all/most of the authors and poets you'll need to know along with a little info on their best works.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/081204...0812046005
BALS-Humanities from TESU - June 2019

CLEP - A&I Lit, US History 1, US History 2, West Civ 1, Intro Sociology, American Lit, Humanities, Soc. Sci & History, English Lit
Sophia - Intro to Info Tech, Art History 1, Visual Communications, Managing Conflict, Building Effective Teams
Study - Personal Finance, Comm 120, Math 97, Bus 121, Lib Sci 101, Eng 104, Nutrition 101, Eng 105, His 108, Pol. Sci 102, Earth Sci 104, His 308, Bus 313, His 102, Eng 305, His 105, His 106, His 306, Geometry 101, Bus 324, Com 102
Institutes - Insurance Ethics
TESU - Cornerstone, Music History 2 TECEP, LIB Capstone

Further Credits - Sophia - Conflict Resolution, Enviro Science, Microecon, Intro to Stats, Into to Ethics, Found. of Stats, Ancient Greek Philosophers, Macroecon, Intro to Business, Project Management, Accounting, Art History 2
[-] The following 3 users Like TexasTink's post:
  • jch, SJDUQUE, suzycupcake
I just looked back in my files. I also used the flashcards from InstantCert, the host of this forum, for Eng Lit (and Humanities too). Not free, but low cost and I thought it was worth it.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

[-] The following 2 users Like P226mem's post:
  • jch, SJDUQUE
Have you found a CLEP center open near you? Most are closed due to COVID.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CLEP Scores Change from 20 years to 10 natshar 2 112 04-14-2024, 10:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Can CLEP, SDC, Sophia be considered Education Credit Expenses? bruh 1 110 04-13-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  CLEP Economics marinereef 3 259 04-05-2024, 01:46 PM
  InstantCert w/CLEP and DSST tomheany 0 201 03-13-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: tomheany
  CLEP and Modern States in the UK BritStudent 4 526 03-06-2024, 09:21 AM
Last Post: asianphd
  CLEP - BIOLOGY Recommendations? GoBroncos95 11 886 02-19-2024, 06:13 PM
  CLEP Spanish advice? Stanislav 8 566 01-31-2024, 08:52 PM
  Is there a limit to CLEP? GoBroncos95 8 728 01-28-2024, 12:23 PM
  Cancelled clep scores?: Please HELP! lyssiethekitty 2 457 01-11-2024, 06:18 AM
Last Post: Ghostwill
  Military CLEP/DSST transcript issues defscarlett 4 488 01-10-2024, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout