Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Computer science process question
Hi, 

ACEI and TESU do not give a clear answer to this question, and ACEI only answers details through email; it’s been back and forth two weeks.
Does anyone also graduate high school from a foreign country? If you know the answer to this question, which my high school asked me, I need to answer so I can process my high school evaluation.

The educational system and GPA
The academic affairs office of my high school also asked me to confirm whether TESU needs a hundred-mark system educational system or a hundred-fifty mark one and do we request GPA (Grade Point Average) because students will apply to different countries and universities. My high school asked to confirm this detail. 

I did graduate from a noncredit college and passed a State certification in the US, it’s not related to computer science, but it approved I graduated from high school. TESU counselor advises that I can use my US transcript to send the application. I also have another IT certification I can send to them. The counselor said TESU might ask me for my high school transcripts later. 

Additionally, does anyone know how long the enrollment process can take? If I enroll right, When can I join the computer science study? 

Thank you for your help !
I can successfully enroll in TESU (Thomas Edison State University) for a Computer Science BA degree.

TESU has informed me that I need to complete the necessary payment and register promptly. Once these steps are taken care of, I'll be all set to begin the course on July 3rd! The university has assigned an admission counselor who will be by my side, offering valuable guidance.
I have a few questions that I was hoping you could help me with. If any of you have prior experience with TESU's admission counselor, I'd greatly appreciate your insights into what kind of questions they typically ask. I do not have any Sophia or Study.com scores yet , the enrollment counselor advised I need to prepare and mention those class not take from TESU; they can set up the process correct. 

My goal is to leverage my BA degree to successfully transition into the IT industry or any position related to software engineering as soon as possible. My previous education was not in the US, so I'm not familiar with the education system. If you have navigated a similar path or possess valuable knowledge, and I would be grateful to hear your thoughts and guidance.
Just for reference and review, your previous degree advice thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ree-advice
Did you apply for financial aid yet?  You sent me private messages after messaging one of the mods and they referred you to me...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Sorry I somehow missed your original post. I'm glad that you are getting the process started!

However, we do generally recommend not talking to TESU staff as much as possible. They are, unfortunately, prone to giving incorrect information. The advisors will tell you that you have to take XYZ course with them even if there is an acceptable course elsewhere. TESU wants money and you taking classes at Sophia or Study.com does not make them money.

Because you said that you graduated from a non-US college, I assume that you have obtained some college credit that has/will transfer to TESU? Once you know where this credit goes, you can start to fill in the rest of your degree requirements using https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap and https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ience_Plan
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • origamishuttle
(06-16-2023, 02:03 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Just for reference and review, your previous degree advice thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ree-advice
Did you apply for financial aid yet?  You sent me private messages after messaging one of the mods and they referred you to me...

Thank you for your quick response and for forwarding the previous messages. It finally evaluated my oversea education and let me in. I did apply for financial aid, but the result was, " You are not eligible for a Federal Pell Grant but may be eligible for other aid. Your school will use your EFC to determine your financial aid eligibility for other federal grants, loans, work-study funds, and possible funding from your state and school." Thank you for reminding me. I'll follow up with the financial department next week.

(06-16-2023, 02:54 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Sorry I somehow missed your original post. I'm glad that you are getting the process started!

However, we do generally recommend not talking to TESU staff as much as possible. They are, unfortunately, prone to giving incorrect information. The advisors will tell you that you have to take XYZ course with them even if there is an acceptable course elsewhere. TESU wants money and you taking classes at Sophia or Study.com does not make them money.

Because you said that you graduated from a non-US college, I assume that you have obtained some college credit that has/will transfer to TESU? Once you know where this credit goes, you can start to fill in the rest of your degree requirements using https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap and https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ience_Plan

No worries, bjcheung77 helps to track it! I'm thankful for all your help!  I thought I'd have some transfer credits to TESU from my previous education. Unfortunately, TESU will let me complete 120 credits in the future. Do I need to tell TESU the list of classes I will take? Do I need to let TESU know about my Sophia and study.com accounts? How do I communicate for choice classes?
2022-2023 Full-Time Flat-Rate Tuition is $4,778; I'm an out-of-state resident.
You don't need to tell TESU anything about what you are or are not taking until it transfers to them. Although usually not recommended, you can theoretically take classes that don't apply to your degree and send them to TESU anyway; they'll still show up on your TESU transcript. This can be useful for some careers, such as teaching or accounting. While this doesn't apply to you, it's important to note that these situations exist; TESU's advisors would try to dissuade students from sending in these "unnecessary" classes.

With few exceptions, TESU's advisors don't need to be aware of what you're taking and from where. They'll often give incorrect info anyway.

For Sophia, you send your completed classes to Credly and then send your Credly transcript to TESU. For SDC, your SDC dashboard will have an option to send a transcript to TESU directly.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • jch, origamishuttle
Avoid that admissions counselor like the plague. They will make you regret your decision. Just come here and ask questions, and we will help you step-by-step.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • AwardTour, origamishuttle
emmaya Wrote:No worries, bjcheung77 helps to track it! I'm thankful for all your help!  I thought I'd have some transfer credits to TESU from my previous education. Unfortunately, TESU will let me complete 120 credits in the future. Do I need to tell TESU the list of classes I will take? Do I need to let TESU know about my Sophia and study.com accounts? How do I communicate for choice classes?

emmaya, you take up to 90 alternative credits towards your degree using ACE/NCCRS, 30 RA credits (or foreign equivalents). If you're doing the 16 credit flat rate, then you need just 15 RA credits or foreign equivalents. Sophia.org for lower level, Study.com for upper level... Generally, you want to create a spreadsheet to reference requirements for the degree and track your progress. I suggest you review the TESU plans WIKI and create that spreadsheet, make the file viewable and not editable, link us to it and we'll provide advice on changes...

rachel83az Wrote:With few exceptions, TESU's advisors don't need to be aware of what you're taking and from where.

That's right, you usually want to speak with them for changes/modifications that we don't have access to...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(06-17-2023, 11:33 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
emmaya Wrote:No worries, bjcheung77 helps to track it! I'm thankful for all your help!  I thought I'd have some transfer credits to TESU from my previous education. Unfortunately, TESU will let me complete 120 credits in the future. Do I need to tell TESU the list of classes I will take? Do I need to let TESU know about my Sophia and study.com accounts? How do I communicate for choice classes?

emmaya, you take up to 90 alternative credits towards your degree using ACE/NCCRS, 30 RA credits (or foreign equivalents).  If you're doing the 16 credit flat rate, then you need just 15 RA credits or foreign equivalents.  Sophia.org for lower level, Study.com for upper level... Generally, you want to create a spreadsheet to reference requirements for the degree and track your progress. I suggest you review the TESU plans WIKI and create that spreadsheet, make the file viewable and not editable, link us to it and we'll provide advice on changes...

rachel83az Wrote:With few exceptions, TESU's advisors don't need to be aware of what you're taking and from where.

That's right, you usually want to speak with them for changes/modifications that we don't have access to...

Thank you so much for all your response. It's been professional and helpful. I will review the Roadmap and list the details this weekend. I appreciate your help. I have a few more questions that I've listed. Could you kindly help me clarify them?
1.     Do I need to have the same email for registering with Sophia and Study.com as my enroll TESU email?
2.     How can I prove that I am myself?  For example , Sophia took 3 credits àcredly.comàTESU , can anyone clarify this particular part ?
3.     Do I need to inform the university in advance about my Sophia or Study.com account information?
4.     After paying the tuition, do I still need to schedule a meeting with an admissions counselor?lol Sounds like useless ...
5.     Will TESU provide me with an @edu email? If it is , do I need use this account to take Sophia or Study.com’s class ? 
1 no, you can use any email
2 just use your exact same legal name and DOB for Sophia, Study, and TESU.
3 no. Just send them the transcripts when you are done with those providers, or after completing a batch of courses.
4 no. You only need to interact with TESU advising to make changes to your degree plan or unlock certain courses after meeting prerequisites. Do not communicate with them beyond that.
5 you will get an edu email after enrolling with TESU but you do not need to use that account for Sophia or Study. I use my regular Gmail with those providers and it is okay.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
[-] The following 1 user Likes jch's post:
  • emmaya

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Credit Transfer Evaluation colonelcamp 5 101 5 hours ago
Last Post: jch
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 20 2,562 Yesterday, 02:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 611 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 511 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 531 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
  Has someone transferred Study.com science corses with labs and correctly transfered etwelding2019 2 342 04-04-2024, 10:10 AM
  Age waiver question - 18 year old jg_nuy 27 2,251 04-03-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 273 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,326 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 250 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM