Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Essays and Time for Upper Level SDC History and Psychology Classes
I am a Liberal Studies Major at TESU. I need 5 Upper Level Credits. I am most interested in History Classes followed by Psychology. 
How hard are the essays? I have gone on and read the prompts. But how long did it take you to write them and how much work was it to find acceptable sources. In the History courses, it concerns me when it says Primary Sources. 
I know you can resubmit them twice, so that makes me feel better. 
Also, if I do extremely well on the quizzes and the test, how important are the essays? I know they're worth 1/3 of the grade. Not that I would intentionally not try to do well on the essays.

The Upper Level History classes I see are: The American Civil War Era 
                                                             A History of the Vietnam War
                                                             The Holocaust I

The Upper Level Psychology Classes I see are: Industrial/Organizational Psychology. 
                                                                   Psychology of Personality
                                                                   History and Systems os Psychology 

I know that some Upper and Lower level classes overlap but I don't need anymore Lower Level classes from SDC. 

Thank-You in advance!
Just an FYI, it's kind of impossible to not do well on quizzes, because you can't pass until you get 4/5 right on every one of them. Yes, you'll get marked down if you can't pass by the 3rd try, but that's actually more time-consuming (to retake the quizzes multiple times) than to just do the work and do well on them from the start. Even so, it only changes the % by a few points at most. I had a few where I just did not know the answer, and I did not retake anything where I got 4/5 (to try to bump up to 5/5), and by the end, I think I needed a 56% on the final instead of a 55% to pass. Yes, this was for a LL course, but the practicalities of this are the same whether it's an UL or LL course.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(09-16-2018, 03:33 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Just an FYI, it's kind of impossible to not do well on quizzes, because you can't pass until you get 4/5 right on every one of them.  Yes, you'll get marked down if you can't pass by the 3rd try, but that's actually more time-consuming (to retake the quizzes multiple times) than to just do the work and do well on them from the start.  Even so, it only changes the % by a few points at most.  I had a few where I just did not know the answer, and I did not retake anything where I got 4/5 (to try to bump up to 5/5), and by the end, I think I needed a 56% on the final instead of a 55% to pass.  Yes, this was for a LL course, but the practicalities of this are the same whether it's an UL or LL course.

Thank-you for the advice!
I feel like the holocaust course would be interesting.. but 3 essays? geez
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
[-] The following 1 user Likes zzzz24's post:
  • Jenna.C
(09-16-2018, 06:20 PM)zzzz24 Wrote: I feel like the holocaust course would be interesting.. but 3 essays? geez

Haha, I know. I'm still going to take it but I'm not looking forward to those 3 essays.
(09-16-2018, 02:33 PM)Jenna.C Wrote: I am a Liberal Studies Major at TESU. I need 5 Upper Level Credits. I am most interested in History Classes followed by Psychology. 
How hard are the essays? I have gone on and read the prompts. But how long did it take you to write them and how much work was it to find acceptable sources. In the History courses, it concerns me when it says Primary Sources. 
Also, if I do extremely well on the quizzes and the test, how important are the essays? I know they're worth 1/3 of the grade. Not that I would intentionally not try to do well on the essays.

The Holocaust I

The Upper Level Psychology Classes I see are: Industrial/Organizational Psychology. 

I know that some Upper and Lower level classes overlap but I don't need anymore Lower Level classes from SDC. 

Thank-You in advance!
I recently finished taking both I/O Psychology as well as History and Systems of Psychology. I/O Psych was only 1200-1500 words (I wrote this in roughly 3-4 hrs, really easy). History/Systems Psychology was 2000-3000 words, and I wrote this in under 2 days. Both are pretty easy courses as well as essays, and with half-hearted effort, I managed 70+ points on both of the essays. Finished each course in about a week total a piece, 3-5 hours every day.
(09-17-2018, 02:52 PM)d.cononge Wrote:
(09-16-2018, 02:33 PM)Jenna.C Wrote: I am a Liberal Studies Major at TESU. I need 5 Upper Level Credits. I am most interested in History Classes followed by Psychology. 

The Holocaust I

Thank-You in advance!
I recently finished taking both I/O Psychology as well as History and Systems of Psychology. I/O Psych was only 1200-1500 words (I wrote this in roughly 3-4 hrs, really easy). History/Systems Psychology was 2000-3000 words, and I wrote this in under 2 days. Both are pretty easy courses as well as essays, and with half-hearted effort, I managed 70+ points on both of the essays. Finished each course in about a week total a piece, 3-5 hours every day.

Thank-you! This is very helpful and makes me feel a lot better. Good luck with the rest of your studies,
Maybe the psych courses are better options for me too.. one essay is better than 2-3.
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
(09-18-2018, 01:02 PM)zzzz24 Wrote: Maybe the psych courses are better options for me too.. one essay is better than 2-3.

They do sound pretty good. I'm changing my major to History so they are not an option for me anymore, but good luck wth them!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 255 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Saylor business classes jb111 4 436 03-14-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Chimera
  Study.com vs Sophia - Time to complete RachelB 2 741 01-05-2024, 01:20 PM
  Coopersmith Organizational Behavior - Upper Level? milah1 6 569 10-20-2023, 02:21 PM
  Study.com - Best Time/Cost Saving Strategy? kylan11 13 1,350 10-18-2023, 08:09 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Do classes from Study.com & Sophia.org appear on Studentclearinghouse.org if... UMPI CanICode 9 1,158 10-17-2023, 12:53 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Coopersmith Positive Psychology TwinMom 2 435 10-09-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: TwinMom
  One SDC course, 6 sh Upper Level in Philosophy Jonathan Whatley 31 2,129 09-12-2023, 12:00 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Study.com and SL History Classes Duneranger 8 732 09-10-2023, 06:02 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  What order to take classes in using Sophia ltw900rr 12 1,885 09-09-2023, 08:29 AM
Last Post: ltw900rr