Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethics of listing degree(s) on resume
I've been looking forward to finishing up my BS from WGU, and some of the best-value in-state programs I can find for graduate studies are from good university systems, but have no name recognition on their own.

When listing my BS on resume, I'm not specifically saying I obtained a degree from WGU-Texas, simply because it doesn't seem like it changes anything. At the same time, the MBA program I'm currently interested in is the UT Permian Basin MBA. The program is (1) fully online, (2) reasonably inexpensive, (3) AACSB accredited, (4) in-state, and (5) a normal MBA, rather than an Executive/Professional MBA (which several of my HR buddies say looks odd compared to an MBA).

However, only one person I know has even heard of UTPB. Almost everyone I've asked is aware of the University of Texas system, but never the Permian Basin campus. I suppose, therefore, that my question is whether or not it is unethical to simply omit the campus name from the resume. I mean, something along the lines of "Master of Business Administration, University of Texas" appears (to me) to be much more recognizable than saying, "Master of Business Administration, University of Texas at Permian Basin," but I may be horribly off-base.

This could probably apply to any large university system (UT, TAMU, UC, CSU, and so on), hence why I'm posting here.

Thoughts?
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
One option could be to list it as University of Texas Systems:

https://www.utsystem.edu/institutions

The name question gets too much attention. MBA from an accredited school requires effort and will be appreciated by most. Have a friend who is a CEO of a hospital with an MBA from Phoenix - she did not care for the school but received zero hurdles working her way up the ladder.
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
You can omit the campus, you're not being dishonest- you graduated from the University of Texas. If they ask which campus you'll just tell them during the interview.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
This would be very similar to how some in California list their degree from California State University & often when speaking of their school, say the name as Cal State. Some will ask 'which one' but most just keep it moving. I am a fan of using your school's name.

This is how I rank the options:

University of Texas at Permian Basin
University of Texas
University of Texas Systems

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
(09-22-2017, 01:43 PM)Thorne Wrote: I've been looking forward to finishing up my BS from WGU, and some of the best-value in-state programs I can find for graduate studies are from good university systems, but have no name recognition on their own.

When listing my BS on resume, I'm not specifically saying I obtained a degree from WGU-Texas, simply because it doesn't seem like it changes anything. At the same time, the MBA program I'm currently interested in is the UT Permian Basin MBA. The program is (1) fully online, (2) reasonably inexpensive, (3) AACSB accredited, (4) in-state, and (5) a normal MBA, rather than an Executive/Professional MBA (which several of my HR buddies say looks odd compared to an MBA).

However, only one person I know has even heard of UTPB. Almost everyone I've asked is aware of the University of Texas system, but never the Permian Basin campus. I suppose, therefore, that my question is whether or not it is unethical to simply omit the campus name from the resume. I mean, something along the lines of "Master of Business Administration, University of Texas" appears (to me) to be much more recognizable than saying, "Master of Business Administration, University of Texas at Permian Basin," but I may be horribly off-base.

This could probably apply to any large university system (UT, TAMU, UC, CSU, and so on), hence why I'm posting here.

Thoughts?

As a Texas resident for over 30 years, this would be unethical. The default school for University of Texas is UT Austin. UT Austin is simply known as UT. 

I don't see the point in listing University of Texas System. University of Texas - Permian Basin already has "University of Texas" in it. People may not have heard of Permian Basin, but they could easily determine that it is a part of the UT system. This is different from Angelo State University which is part of the Texas Tech System, but I don't even dare list Texas Tech System. Once an employer sees an ASU transcript, I'll be viewed as being deceptive. 

If you list University of Texas System, everyone is going to know that you didn't attend UT Austin. No one tries to disguise UT Austin. I don't think anyone would disguise UT Arlington or UTD either because both of those have good reputations. "University of Texas System" automatically says that you attended one of the lesser-known schools. 

Additionally, these aren't "campuses." I know it's semantics, but this is important to point out in this context. These are completely separate schools accredited as completely separate entities. Other than a select few online programs, you can't take courses across the schools without applying and being admitted to each one. This is different from the Alamo Community College District or Dallas Community College District where you can enroll in courses at any of the colleges in the district with a couple of clicks. Even then, all of the Alamo Colleges are accredited as separate schools.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • davewill, Sagan
(09-22-2017, 05:44 PM)sanantone Wrote: --Snip--

Additionally, these aren't "campuses." I know it's semantics, but this is important to point out in this context. These are completely separate schools accredited as completely separate entities. Other than a select few online programs, you can't take courses across the schools without applying and being admitted to each one. This is different from the Alamo Community College District or Dallas Community College District where you can enroll in courses at any of the colleges in the district with a couple of clicks. Even then, all of the Alamo Colleges are accredited as separate schools.

That clarifies a few things, and basically settles the topic. I've only been in Texas for 12 years, and I never even considered any of the UT or TAMU schools, before now, due to cost. I have a few UT alum friends (unsure of the specific school) that gave me the impression that UT Arlington, Austin, Dallas, et cetera were just branches of the same school, not independent schools in the same network -- I just hadn't done my own research yet.

I'll have to check some of the other offerings (in-state and out) with better brand recognition. A fine enough pedigree may justify the hike from $12k to $30k. Heck, I'm not even dead set on an MBA yet.

(09-22-2017, 06:55 PM)Thorne Wrote: [quote='sanantone' pid='242929' dateline='1506120255']
Heck, I'm not even dead set on an MBA yet.

Heck, I could have saved my opinion then Wink

(09-22-2017, 06:55 PM)Thorne Wrote:
(09-22-2017, 05:44 PM)sanantone Wrote: --Snip--

That clarifies a few things, and basically settles the topic. I've only been in Texas for 12 years, and I never even considered any of the UT or TAMU schools, before now, due to cost. I have a few UT alum friends (unsure of the specific school) that gave me the impression that UT Arlington, Austin, Dallas, et cetera were just branches of the same school, not independent schools in the same network -- I just hadn't done my own research yet.

I'll have to check some of the other offerings (in-state and out) with better brand recognition. A fine enough pedigree may justify the hike from $12k to $30k. Heck, I'm not even dead set on an MBA yet.

Do you want name recognition or a decent ranking? I'm sure everyone knows what University of North Dakota and University of South Dakota are, but they aren't known for having great business schools. 

There is the iMBA for around $22,000. I don't know if your transcript will say iMBA, but University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign's business school is ranked #40.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(09-22-2017, 07:25 PM)sanantone Wrote: Do you want name recognition or a decent ranking? I'm sure everyone knows what University of North Dakota and University of South Dakota are, but they aren't known for having great business schools. 

There is the iMBA for around $22,000. I don't know if your transcript will say iMBA, but University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign's business school is ranked #40.

Decent ranking, surely. Otherwise I could just go for a University of Phoenix MBA. Wink

Thanks for the information! I hadn't come across this when looking before, but that's fairly enticing.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Thorne's post:
  • cali86
(09-22-2017, 04:22 PM)RANSOMSOUL Wrote: This would be very similar to how some in California list their degree from California State University & often when speaking of their school, say the name as Cal State. Some will ask 'which one' but most just keep it moving. I am a fan of using your school's name.

This is how I rank the options:

University of Texas at Permian Basin
University of Texas
University of Texas Systems

I've not seen this at all (for CA schools).  I just see people list the school with the city (CSU-Chico or CSU-San Marcos or SDSU).  But they do not just put "CSU" or "Cal State" on their resumes that I've ever seen.

Now, when people TALK about their degrees, they may omit the name if they are local.  All of the kids I know here in Escondido, if they want to go to CSU-San Marcos just say "State", and everyone knows what they mean because it's the closest state school (5 miles away).  SDSU is 30+ miles away, so they will say San Diego State or SDSU when talking about that.  They also just say "UC" if they're talking about UCSD, because it's the only UC school in the San Diego area.  If they are talking about a nearby UC/CSU school, maybe less than 100 miles away, they will say "Riverside" or "Irvine" or something like that.  But again, this is when it's in conversation, not on a resume.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abide University Honorary Doctors Degree bjcheung77 0 542 07-07-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TEFL opportunities without a degree Personherebb9 3 489 06-11-2023, 03:09 AM
  Resume Question ROYISAGIRL 11 1,096 07-12-2022, 08:38 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Resume Rewrite from Indeed Vle045 6 751 06-22-2022, 04:04 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  for those who have a math degree - is your job math related ? bluebooger 0 528 03-22-2022, 11:42 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  How has getting a degree from the Big Three (and others) changed your career or life? schristian10 3 929 01-21-2022, 09:43 AM
Last Post: williammosher
  Dr. Amy Cuddy 8 years for 1 degree ashkir 3 950 07-11-2021, 01:56 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Degree Forgery Alpha 8 1,568 04-28-2021, 05:16 PM
  History of Degree "Hacking" collegehacked 8 2,667 07-13-2020, 09:48 AM
Last Post: collegehacked
  Excelsior Graduate earns Master's degree. Oh yeah, she's 14 MNomadic 7 1,637 06-17-2020, 02:51 PM
Last Post: bluebooger