Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ever get so overwhelmed you want to quit?
I started the journey towards a degree and a better life last year around this time. Thanks to this forum I received my BALS in September. It took time, dedication, and some money. Thankfully my wife gave me the opportunity to finish the degree unimpeded by work, the same way I did for her almost 12 years ago.

We decided that I was going to be a Physician assistant. However after extensive research we realized it would take too long to get the pre reqs needed to get entry. Even if I did complete them, there's around a 1:100 chance of getting into a PA school.

So we decided I'd become an RN, then a Nurse Practitioner. The scope of PA and NPs are similar, but the RN route made sense because I could work during breaks or when we needed a boost in cash. We chose Excelsior Colleges Paramedic to RN bridge. Unfortunately I didn't realize their core requirements were a bit unusual, so now I'm doubling up on core credits from my BA.

I can't even begin to tell you how frustrating it has been to have to repeat. Not only that, but in order to finish in a reasonable amount of time I have 6 courses I'm trying to finish including 2 EC classes, 2 Uexcels, and 2 CLEPs. I'm overwhelmed, exhausted and frustrated knowing I haven't even started RN training yet. And once that's done I still have to pass the CPNE which has a 12-15 month wait time currently.

I'm so tired and annoyed I just want to bail and go work at Best Buy. I am tired of not contributing to the income. I'm exhausted because I'm depressed and haven't been in the gym in years. I just feel worthless.

Has anyone broke out of a funk like this because of all the time spent in front of the computer at home doing SO much but spinning wheels? I can see the finish line but it's so far away.
1. Prep Phase: Hopeless, 15 credits, need a BA fast, never heard of TESU
2. TESU BALS: 121/120 (9 months)

3. RN Paramedic Bridge - Excelsior (9 months + CPNE wait)
4. WGU RN -> BSN
5. BSN -> MSN/FNP
Is there another path that you can take that you just haven't looked for? WGU has an RN program. I'm sure there are other schools that do as well, and with your BALS already completed, you may find a shorter path. I think you should think about doing some additional research. You've kind of set yourself on 1 path, and it may not be the best one (it may be, but it would be nice to prove that to yourself).

Also, why did you get the BALS? Is there something you can do work-wise with that, and slow down a little on the RN path that you're on, give yourself a break, and then come back fresh with a new outlook on life?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Don’t give up! Nine months will come.

In my first undergrad degree, I was working 50 hours a week in three jobs (which added time management complications) and taking 12 credits every term (min F/T status). After “four years” I began to drink due to stress (not seeing the end) and I broke up with my girlfriend due to lack of time. It would take me 5.33 years for that first BS degree. I stuck it out and in the end married that girl and was able to quit the part-time jobs for a real career debt free.

You can see the end…….Do not give up!
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Don't give up! But also don't be afraid to reevaluate your goals and/or how to achieve them.

I've been there. In some ways, I'm there now. It's important to take some time to take care of yourself, whether that means hitting the gym, doing some meditation, or finding a creative outlet.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
It's definitely the best overall route. Despite the annoyances, it's the fastest, cheapest, and easiest way to go. I spoke with WGU and their program isn't the right choice for me. Good thought though. It's highly competitive and only has space for 10-12 students per year.

I got the BALS because I wanted a degree fast that'd set me up for a graduate program, and also something that would serve as a backup in my 2 fields (tech and paramedic). It was also designed as a backup to my backup in case anything changed or I needed to get into the workforce quickly.

(11-14-2018, 12:39 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Is there another path that you can take that you just haven't looked for? WGU has an RN program. I'm sure there are other schools that do as well, and with your BALS already completed, you may find a shorter path. I think you should think about doing some additional research. You've kind of set yourself on 1 path, and it may not be the best one (it may be, but it would be nice to prove that to yourself).

Also, why did you get the BALS? Is there something you can do work-wise with that, and slow down a little on the RN path that you're on, give yourself a break, and then come back fresh with a new outlook on life?

I think that's what is killing me the most. I have nothing outside of this little school and study world. I used to save lives using amazing techniques and skills under duress, and now I save money on my car insurance with Geico. I've delivered babies and had CPR saves. Now a good day is getting up before 8.

I think a creative outlet is what I need most. I like the sound of that.

(11-14-2018, 12:51 AM)MNomadic Wrote: Don't give up! But also don't be afraid to reevaluate your goals and/or how to achieve them.

I've been there. In some ways, I'm there now. It's important to take some time to take care of yourself, whether that means hitting the gym, doing some meditation, or finding a creative outlet.

I've never run a marathon but I imagine runners feel the way I do so close to the end. The see the finish tape and could get there, but they start to slow down due to sheer exhaustion and the body being unable to continue. I need to find a way to keep going.

(11-14-2018, 12:44 AM)Life Long Learning Wrote: Don’t give up! Nine months will come.

In my first undergrad degree, I was working 50 hours a week in three jobs (which added time management complications) and taking 12 credits every term (min F/T status). After “four years” I began to drink due to stress (not seeing the end) and I broke up with my girlfriend due to lack of time. It would take me 5.33 years for that first BS degree. I stuck it out and in the end married that girl and was able to quit the part-time jobs for a real career debt free.

You can see the end…….Do not give up!
1. Prep Phase: Hopeless, 15 credits, need a BA fast, never heard of TESU
2. TESU BALS: 121/120 (9 months)

3. RN Paramedic Bridge - Excelsior (9 months + CPNE wait)
4. WGU RN -> BSN
5. BSN -> MSN/FNP
I've never run a marathon but I imagine runners feel the way I do so close to the end. The see the finish tape and could get there, but they start to slow down due to sheer exhaustion and the body being unable to continue. I need to find a way to keep going.
..................Cheeseburrito

I have never run a marathon either. You can see the finish.

Remember....War POWs (millions have never seen the finish but keep trying. 50% of US college students quit. Tons of folks have it way worse than you or I. I do not mean to be cold, but who cares if you have nothing outside of this little school and study world. One year from now you will be to really contribute to your family that a string of retail jobs will never do.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 1 user Likes Life Long Learning's post:
  • sanantone
Sorry you have to repeat.

Could you work a little (like temporarily or 2 shifts a month), so you get the positive feelings from saving lives (and some income)? Or occasionally (like every 3 months you work or volunteer for a week).

I think your odds of PA school would be much more than 1:100.

I'm trying to understand your situation. With a program like WGU, you can't really work. Since Excelsior doesn't have clinicals, you should still be able to work while completing tests and courses. Many Excelsior nursing students are working full-time as LVNs and paramedics. Part-time work should be doable. In more traditional nursing programs, nursing students often do PRN work as patient care technicians because hospitals are usually willing to work with their schedules.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
You're actually in a good spot right now, it's just 6 courses or "2 EC classes, 2 Uexcels, and 2 CLEPs". Some schools, if not most, require you to take the entire senior or last year (at a minimum of 30 credits) with them as a residency requirement. I was just curious what was missing that didn't get transferred from your BALS. I highly doubt those that are missing are general education courses and electives, they most likely are health or science related.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Life Long Learning
You mention not getting to the gym in ages. I would suggest you put getting proper exercise higher on the priority list. It will help your mood, and help you maintain your physical ability to do student and parent duty. As far as the feeling useless thing, don't hesitate to talk to a therapist about it. They can help you look at your own feelings more objectively and work with you on coping strategies to keep from feeling quite so overwhelmed.

Try to keep in mind that you ARE contributing to the household by doing exactly what you and your spouse decided together was going to be the ultimate best for your family. My brother just went through the same thing on the other side, supporting his SO while she became an RN. It was tough at times, but he was nothing but proud of her dedication and achievement.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 4 users Like davewill's post:
  • Life Long Learning, mudball, Muldoon, sanantone

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good news! I can quit my job soon! sanantone 17 2,581 06-27-2014, 05:12 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  that time of year again - want to quit work and go hiking bluebooger 1 814 05-05-2014, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Photog
  To Really Learn, Quit Studying and Take a Test motuterry 4 1,768 01-22-2011, 09:18 PM
Last Post: ryoder