Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ever get so overwhelmed you want to quit?
I'm not going to tell you not to quit. I know that sounds like crap not to tell someone to keep going, but the truth is that you absolutely 100% can quit if you want to. None of us can say we've never quit. None of us are still taking piano lessons from 2nd grade or playing t-ball. People quit jobs, divorce, and move across the country - and the world still turns. Recognizing that you have a choice is very powerful - and the way I read your words was that you felt trapped by your situation. In my own life, when I've felt trapped by my circumstances, it's an awful experience. So, can you quit? Yes. Should you quit? I have no idea. But, if you can take the time to separate the two problems, you might not feel as overwhelmed. Simply giving yourself permission to walk away from all of this and go back to being a paramedic is totally an option. Seriously. You CAN do that. Separately, whether or not you decide to is a different question, but in my humble opinion, you have more to lose by feeling this way than you could ever lose by doing a pivot.
Thank you everyone for your replies, which to me mean a world of support.

I wanted to clear something up because ... well I want to.

The reason I don't work right now is because my wife has asked me to focus solely on completing school as effectively (high grades) and quickly as possible. Her job currently provides a nice living for us that is allowing me to not earn an income. It is high stress however, and once my RN is done I will be taking back over the primary bread-winner role for us.

I sat down and isolated what made me feel this way and what some of the solutions could be. I realized my to-do list was stressing me out looking at it every day, because I had EVERYTHING on it and it was too long. So I broke it down and have for the moment made it a daily and weekly list. That leaves all of the long term items off of my periphery so I don't freak out at the mountain climb ahead. I can focus on setting up base camp at the moment.

I'm in week 4/8 in my half-trimester at EC so those 2 classes are nearly done. I have my Sociology CLEP on 11/19. That leaves 2 UE and 1 CLEP to finish. Then I can start on my Nursing core. I plan to take ECEs for those which gives me a lot of freedom in how and when I study.
1. Prep Phase: Hopeless, 15 credits, need a BA fast, never heard of TESU
2. TESU BALS: 121/120 (9 months)

3. RN Paramedic Bridge - Excelsior (9 months + CPNE wait)
4. WGU RN -> BSN
5. BSN -> MSN/FNP
[-] The following 2 users Like Cheeseburrito's post:
  • Life Long Learning, Muldoon
(11-15-2018, 02:18 PM)Cheeseburrito Wrote: Thank you everyone for your replies, which to me mean a world of support.

I wanted to clear something up because ... well I want to.

The reason I don't work right now is because my wife has asked me to focus solely on completing school as effectively (high grades) and quickly as possible. Her job currently provides a nice living for us that is allowing me to not earn an income. It is high stress however, and once my RN is done I will be taking back over the primary bread-winner role for us.

I sat down and isolated what made me feel this way and what some of the solutions could be. I realized my to-do list was stressing me out looking at it every day, because I had EVERYTHING on it and it was too long. So I broke it down and have for the moment made it a daily and weekly list. That leaves all of the long term items off of my periphery so I don't freak out at the mountain climb ahead. I can focus on setting up base camp at the moment.

I'm in week 4/8 in my half-trimester at EC so those 2 classes are nearly done. I have my Sociology CLEP on 11/19. That leaves 2 UE and 1 CLEP to finish. Then I can start on my Nursing core. I plan to take ECEs for those which gives me a lot of freedom in how and when I study.

It's understandable if you and your wife decided that you aren't going to work so that you can finish faster and earn higher grades. In this case, however, two courses and a few tests shouldn't feel overwhelming because a lot of people take a full course load while working full or part-time. I think Davewill gave good advice. If you're experiencing depression, then the problem may not be the schoolwork. You might be struggling with the schoolwork because of the depression.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 3 users Like sanantone's post:
  • jsd, Life Long Learning, Muldoon

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good news! I can quit my job soon! sanantone 17 2,563 06-27-2014, 05:12 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  that time of year again - want to quit work and go hiking bluebooger 1 801 05-05-2014, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Photog
  To Really Learn, Quit Studying and Take a Test motuterry 4 1,735 01-22-2011, 09:18 PM
Last Post: ryoder