Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exams
I would do CLEPs if possible because they are more widely accepted than DSST. Also, CLEPs are free through Modern States (although you have to wait for a refund for the test center portion). DSSTs are about $95-105 with the test center fee.

(06-21-2018, 07:13 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Miah,

When I first found this forum, I had a lot of the same questions you do. Ultimately, I found many ways to integrate college credit into a high school program- I even wrote a book about it. I'm not promoting my book (it's for homeschooling) but my encouragement to you is that you study for and pass a CLEP or DDST - whichever has a testing center close to you. Currently you can get a fee waiver for CLEP if that makes a difference, but DSSTs are on sale for $70, so still not expensive. Once you do one, your level of understanding of how to use these with your students will magnify ten-fold. For anyone entering advising, my sincere advice is to walk the path so you can not only understand the advantages but the disadvantages too.

Thanks! I wish I knew this forum existed 7 urs ago and that there was a book about it! Unfortunately I had not come acrossed it soon enough for my foster son and a friend of mine that’s daughter struggles fitting in in HS and wasn’t quite ready for traditional college. I’m sure she c/would have used this information and maybe things would not have been so costly for them and maybe she would have been more successful using the outline noted on your blog! I’m definitely going to refer people to your blog and your book and to this site in the future!
(06-24-2018, 05:16 PM)miah Wrote:
(06-21-2018, 07:13 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Miah,

When I first found this forum, I had a lot of the same questions you do. Ultimately, I found many ways to integrate college credit into a high school program- I even wrote a book about it. I'm not promoting my book (it's for homeschooling) but my encouragement to you is that you study for and pass a CLEP or DDST - whichever has a testing center close to you. Currently you can get a fee waiver for CLEP if that makes a difference, but DSSTs are on sale for $70, so still not expensive. Once you do one, your level of understanding of how to use these with your students will magnify ten-fold. For anyone entering advising, my sincere advice is to walk the path so you can not only understand the advantages but the disadvantages too.

Thanks! I wish I knew this forum existed 7 urs ago and that there was a book about it! Unfortunately I had not come acrossed it soon enough for my foster son and a friend of mine that’s daughter struggles fitting in in HS and wasn’t quite ready for traditional college. I’m sure she c/would have used this information and maybe things would not have been so costly for them and maybe she would have been more successful using the outline noted on your blog! I’m definitely going to refer people to your blog and your book and to this site in the future!

Well, it's never too late!! My husband and I both had associate degrees and were working as chefs when I discovered this forum around 2006. I was 38 years old (so was he) and neither of us would have been tagged "college material" for sure! Since then, my family and I have earned 7 degrees, and I still have 2 more kids in high school who will add to that number. None of us are brainiacs and none of us have student loan debt. Though my blog is for homeschoolers, the forum here is for everyone. It's how I got started, and it's a free resource that anyone can tap into. If your son and friend's daughter want help, just send them this way. It's never too late.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Major Study: Unproctored Online Exams Provide Meaningful Assessment Jonathan Whatley 0 369 11-16-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Exciting News at ENEB! Introducing test-type exams to fast-track your studie akr680 37 5,581 10-27-2023, 06:53 AM
Last Post: karehiro
  Anybody taken any certification exams (CPA, CIA, CFE, etc.)? kevinmane 9 2,385 08-21-2022, 11:19 PM
Last Post: lisarox
Information New Batch of Microsoft Exams are now ACE(data, cloud, cs, UL) MNomadic 5 1,394 04-05-2022, 04:56 AM
Last Post: jch
  Cambridge International Exams - A Level or AS Level exams Lydclrk 1 717 09-17-2021, 06:07 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
Exclamation Is Sophia similar to Study in terms of course format and allow Open Book exams? OP88 4 1,322 05-26-2021, 05:29 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Pearson OnVUE - Online Excelsior Exams bjcheung77 5 1,339 09-23-2020, 11:33 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  Does your community college offer challenge exams? muu9 2 995 07-19-2020, 04:21 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Course hero membership... Worth it for SL final exams? onmygo 2 3,900 03-07-2020, 01:41 PM
Last Post: Lacedonia4
  Sophia/CLEP/DSST Info Tech exams = all same? SCYankee 2 1,380 02-22-2020, 05:36 PM
Last Post: SCYankee